BEST OFFSEASON? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

BEST OFFSEASON?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BEST OFFSEASON?

Postby Spiegs1106 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:54 pm

which two teams have had the most productive off-season so far.
Last edited by Spiegs1106 on Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BEST OFFSEASON?

Postby GameOn » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:01 pm

Spiegs1106 wrote:which two teams have had the most productive off-season so far.

My vote is Red Sox and D-Backs

Is that a joke? The Red Sox could have a good offseason but the jury is still out, they need to sign a couple more pitchers after losing pedro. If they sign Clement then they have had a good offseason.

As far as the D-Backs...they signed Ortiz and Glaus to horrible contracts. If you call that a good offseason...then I guess they have had a good offseason.

I think the teams that will have the best offseason are the Mariners, Angels, and Brewers. Carlos Lee and Capellan were good moves IMO, I don't think the Brew crew will contend but those are definitely moves that flew under the raidar.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:01 pm

Spiegs1106 wrote:which two teams have had the most productive off-season so far.

D-Backs? :-o I'm not going to weigh in on this until most are signed as the big names haven't really started to fall in place yet (Beltran, Maggs, etc). But the D-Backs get my vote for the worst off season with maybe the Yankees as second. Investing over $75million on Glaus who hasn't played a full season in two years and "I should give three quarters of this contract to Leo Mazzone" Ortiz? Those alone will probably take the cake for AZ and they haven't even botched the RJ deal yet.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:03 pm

so far the Braves are having a good off season. We've got a new closer and a new SP (actually it's Smoltz in disguise)
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby tlef316 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:19 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:

D-Backs? :-o I'm not going to weigh in on this until most are signed as the big names haven't really started to fall in place yet (Beltran, Maggs, etc). But the D-Backs get my vote for the worst off season with maybe the Yankees as second. Investing over $75million on Glaus who hasn't played a full season in two years and "I should give three quarters of this contract to Leo Mazzone" Ortiz? Those alone will probably take the cake for AZ and they haven't even botched the RJ deal yet.

please explain how the yankees had a bad offseason. Yeah, they overpaid wright, but he is still a solid # 5, which is all they needed and they got pavano, who was the unquestioned # 1 SP on the market. Yeah, they overpaid for him too, but still got a realitivly better deal than most of the other SPs that have signed.

They dumped loften and got two solid bullpen arms. They are the co-favorites for beltran and still have a shot to trade for RJ. It hasnt been a great offseason, but other teams have done far worse.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:25 pm

tlef316 wrote:

please explain how the yankees had a bad offseason. Yeah, they overpaid wright, but he is still a solid # 5, which is all they needed and they got pavano, who was the unquestioned # 1 SP on the market. Yeah, they overpaid for him too, but still got a realitivly better deal than most of the other SPs that have signed.

They dumped loften and got two solid bullpen arms. They are the co-favorites for beltran and still have a shot to trade for RJ. It hasnt been a great offseason, but other teams have done far worse.

As much as I don't like Pedro, I would easily say that Pedro (not 4 years though!), Clement, and Odalis would all be on my list above Pavano.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:26 pm

Right now, the Brewers have had the best off-season IMO. But a lot of FA are still out there and 2 big SP might be traded.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:29 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Right now, the Brewers have had the best off-season IMO. But a lot of FA are still out there and 2 big SP might be traded.

I completely agree - the trade snagging Lee was masterful.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tlef316 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:30 pm

slomo007 wrote:
tlef316 wrote:

As much as I don't like Pedro, I would easily say that Pedro (not 4 years though!), Clement, and Odalis would all be on my list above Pavano.

im not nuts about pavano either, but i trust the opinions of pretty much every GM in baseball over my own.

O yeah, i forgot to add.....NO MORE FELIX HEREDIA!!!! That alone puts us in the top 5
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:30 pm

It sure as heck ain't the Montreal/Puerto Rico/Washington Expos/Nats.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers