Who in your opinion are the overall top ten? (5x5) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who in your opinion are the overall top ten? (5x5)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:41 pm

I stay far away from top 4 round picks that are not sure things and you could easily get Sosa'ed or Boone'ed with Soriano picking him that high in '05. I rather pick another top player and let someone else worry.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:42 pm

Without the SB's Soriano isn't 1st round material. Maybe he steals more next year, who knows. But I wouldn't bet on it. I'd be much happier getting solid production form my #1 pick then being stuck with a bust just because he plays a shallow position. His BA isn't anything special and his R and RBI aren't either. I'd look for his HR total to increase for sure, but still, there are tons of better options for a first round pick.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:43 pm

dannahann wrote:
J35J wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Pujols
Vlad
A-Rod
Beltran
Helton
Tejada
Manny
Bonds
Soriano

I like these 10, not in that order, but without looking at my rankings, these 10 look good!

Jason

I only count nine :-D

Whoops. The numbering in Excel threw me off there. :-D Sheff is 10 as of now. Thanks for catching that one. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby NZF » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:02 pm

LBJackal wrote:Without the SB's Soriano isn't 1st round material. Maybe he steals more next year, who knows. But I wouldn't bet on it. I'd be much happier getting solid production form my #1 pick then being stuck with a bust just because he plays a shallow position. His BA isn't anything special and his R and RBI aren't either. I'd look for his HR total to increase for sure, but still, there are tons of better options for a first round pick.

Soriano was far from a bust in 2004. He batted over .312 at home.

A 40 / 40 threat, at by far the weakest position, is still worthy of a Top 10 pick.

You rate Beltran No. 1, yet one of the few guys around that can potentially do what he can, suddenly drops out of the Top 10 after one year below his lofty standards and that after playing for a new team. No lessons have been learnt. You are still putting way too much emphasis on the most current season's performances without looking at the big picture.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:10 pm

I am taking part in a slow keeper draft now. The 1st 2 rounds went like this..

1) Carlos Beltran
2) Albert Pujols
3) Alex Rodriguez
4) Vladimir Guererro
5) Miguel Tejada
6) Todd Helton
7) Manny Ramirez
8) Johan Santana
9) Adrian Beltre
10) Gary Sheffeild
11) Barry Bonds
12) Bobby Abreu

round 2

1) Alfonso Soriano
2) David Ortiz
3) Jason Schmidt
4) Ben Sheets
5) Randy Johnson
6) Scott Rolen
7) Eric Gagne
8) Mark Prior
9) Curt Schilling
10) Roy Oswalt
11) Mark Teixiera
12) Miguel Cabrera

the only pick in the 1st round that i thought was off was Beltre. In the 2nd round I wouldnt have taken Gagne just because i dont like rp's that early.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:11 pm

Big picture is a hitter with no plate discipline, a poor OBP, a high K rate and an SB total that dropped by about 50%. That is more than an off-year. His fundamentals have always been bad. A drop off going from NY to the Ball Park at Arlington in power and rbis should not have happened.

And add in the obvious fact that in the first meaningful year of roids testing, where obvious suspicious candidates like Boone and Sosa and Lopez declined badly and others like Sexson and Giambi get hurt, one has to also wonder why his Soriano's numbers take the plummet at the same time.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NZF » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:11 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I stay far away from top 4 round picks that are not sure things and you could easily get Sosa'ed or Boone'ed with Soriano picking him that high in '05. I rather pick another top player and let someone else worry.

Unfortunately, without the asisstance of a crystal ball that is impossible to do. No such thing as a sure thing fella.You're kidding yourself if you think there is.

Every season there is at least 3 or 4 first rounders that are major disappointments. Obviously Soriano was one of those in 2004, comparitive to where he was taken in drafts. Quite rightly he doesn't deserve to be talked about as a potential No.2 as he was last season. But considering his age, the team he is likely to play for, and the 40/40 threat he represents, with 2B eligibility he is still deserving of a Top 10 spot.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NZF » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:28 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Big picture is a hitter with no plate discipline, a poor OBP, a high K rate and an SB total that dropped by about 50%. That is more than an off-year.

Poor OBP, high K rate. Nothing changed there. The drop off in SB is a concern but it is a very fickle category. He could hit lead off in 2005 and steal 40 again. He stole 7 bases in the last 18 games of last season so who knows what will happen. We do know he has the ability to steal 40 plus, and I'm confident his power numbers will increase again in 2005.

If you look outside the square, you will see that playing at home last season, his Avg, SLG, OBP and OPS were all better than in his stellar 2003 season that made him such a popular No. 2 draft pick in so many leagues.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ensanimal » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:58 pm

anyone have an injury update on soriano? :-?
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Bloody Nipples » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:56 pm

kentx12 wrote:I am taking part in a slow keeper draft now. The 1st 2 rounds went like this..

1) Carlos Beltran
2) Albert Pujols
3) Alex Rodriguez
4) Vladimir Guererro
5) Miguel Tejada
6) Todd Helton
7) Manny Ramirez
8) Johan Santana
9) Adrian Beltre
10) Gary Sheffeild
11) Barry Bonds
12) Bobby Abreu

round 2

1) Alfonso Soriano
2) David Ortiz
3) Jason Schmidt
4) Ben Sheets
5) Randy Johnson
6) Scott Rolen
7) Eric Gagne
8) Mark Prior
9) Curt Schilling
10) Roy Oswalt
11) Mark Teixiera
12) Miguel Cabrera

the only pick in the 1st round that i thought was off was Beltre. In the 2nd round I wouldnt have taken Gagne just because i dont like rp's that early.

Wow, if this is a snake draft, the first two teams got awsome combos. I would love to have Pujols/Tex in a keeper. Thats stud production locked up for the next 10 years.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers