Red Sox sign Renteria - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox sign Renteria

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:21 pm

$10 million is too much IMO when you've got Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, and you could argue if healthy Walker in your lineup. Of course I'd like him back in STL, but not at that price. And other than the hit in the '97 WS I wouldn't really call him clutch in the playoffs. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:25 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:$10 million is too much IMO when you've got Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, and you could argue if healthy Walker in your lineup. Of course I'd like him back in STL, but not at that price. And other than the hit in the '97 WS I wouldn't really call him clutch in the playoffs. :-?

I agree with everything here.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:27 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:$10 million is too much IMO when you've got Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, and you could argue if healthy Walker in your lineup. Of course I'd like him back in STL, but not at that price. And other than the hit in the '97 WS I wouldn't really call him clutch in the playoffs. :-?

Finally, something on this site I can agree with. I miss that. ;D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby swingaway » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:08 am

i compare Renteria to Jeter they both produce simlar numbers. If Jeter wasnt on the yankees i would have him down with the same kind of stats Renteria has had with the cards. Anyway good sign by the red sox. Renteria is just a hare below Jeter and is cheaper than him 2.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:53 am

DK wrote:

Finally, something on this site I can agree with. I miss that. ;D

Just start saying more nice things about the Yankees or Red Sox, plenty of people will agree with you then. ;-)

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:41 am

Cardinals Offer Was As Big As the Sox Offer

It was a little off, but apparently he wanted to leave St. Louis worse than he let on:

St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote:ANAHEIM, Calif. - Before reaching its conclusion late Tuesday night, the Cardinals' pursuit of Edgar Renteria drove them to a $9 million-a-year neighborhood they long refused to visit.

But Renteria decided on what had been equally unthinkable, accepting the Boston Red Sox's four-year, $40 million offer less than two months after making the final out against them in a four-game World Series.

Renteria's decision won't become official until he passes a team physical; however, that is enough of a formality that the Red Sox have scheduled a news conference in Boston for no later than Friday. Renteria confirmed the move in an interview with a Boston Globe foreign correspondent Wednesday, saying the Red Sox were "more interested in my playing for them."

Edison Renteria, the shortstop's older brother, told the Associated Press in a phone interview from Barranquilla, Colombia, "We will travel to Boston later this week to define the details of the four-year contract. Edgar is very happy. The conditions are excellent."

The decision surprised and disappointed the Cardinals, who had delayed the rest of their offseason moves while focusing on Renteria, the marquee free agent shortstop. Manager Tony La Russa spoke to the two-time Gold Glove winner periodically since last week and was optimistic about his return.

After insisting they had made their final offer to Renteria last weekend, the Cardinals hiked their four-year, $32 million bid to $36 million on Monday, club sources said, only to be rejected.

"I know we made a move up," La Russa said. "The difference in the two offers isn't enough that I'm not disappointed."

The Cardinals' last offer, sources said, included significant deferred money with interest, which could have brought the package up to $39 million. The Red Sox's bid did not include deferrals and includes a club option for 2009.

"I think we went beyond reasonable for us," La Russa said. "There is a figure that doesn't make sense for us to pay. ... I thought $8 million was at the top of where we should be. He indicated he wanted to stay. It still wasn't enough."

Acquired from the Florida Marlins in December 1998, Renteria emerged as a four-time All-Star and arguably the National League's top shortstop while in St. Louis. He batted .305 in 2002 before hitting .330 with 194 hits in 2003, the season in which he set a club record at his position with 100 RBIs. Renteria, listed as 29 but believed a year younger, stole at least 17 bases each season in St. Louis, including 34 in 41 attempts in the 2003 season. Four times he amassed more than 35 doubles.

While Renteria may have given La Russa the impression he wanted to return, his comments to the Globe suggested frustration with the team's approach to bargaining.

"When they want you and they try everything to get you - it could be economic; it could be calling and showing real interest in you - that's what makes a difference," Renteria said. "I know the St. Louis team and fans wanted me to stay. But (management) didn't try hard to keep me. That's what I felt in negotiations." - Call me crazy, but I don't believe this comment.

Barry Meister, one of Renteria's agents, refused comment Wednesday pending an official announcement.

The defection of Renteria and second baseman Tony Womack leaves the Cardinals to retool their middle infield. Womack accepted a two-year, $4 million offer from the New York Yankees on Dec. 7.

Renteria's signing could be doubly injurious to the Cardinals because it probably will increase the demands of remaining free agent middle infielders. The club has learned that second baseman Placido Polanco is seeking more than $5 million per season while Orlando Cabrera, now the market's top shortstop, anticipates offers of more than $7 million per season for four years.

"We don't think Orlando Cabrera is that much lesser a player than Edgar Renteria," Cabrera's lead agent, Dan Lozano, said Wednesday. "He is certainly the most attractive shortstop available."

The Cardinals may instead examine less pricey options, such as veteran Barry Larkin, who could form a time share with Hector Luna. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays' Julio Lugo is a leading trade candidate.

The Cardinals also will scrutinize those players not tendered contracts by their teams on Dec. 20. Among them is Baltimore Orioles second baseman Jerry Hairston, who has the speed and plate discipline to be a leadoff candidate.

"The worst thing you can do is overreact and overpay for somebody just to fill a spot," La Russa said. "We have a very good core and we'll complement it with people who can execute and play..

"We've been very competitive for a number of years. Part of that is because you assign value to players based on what you've got. If it doesn't work, you don't make deals you eventually regret."

Losing Renteria, catcher Mike Matheny and starting pitcher Woody Williams subtracts three of the most respected veteran players from the Cardinals, who won 105 games last season and had a cohesive clubhouse. La Russa maintains the character of the team remains in place.

"We've got a lot of leaders left on that club," La Russa said. "Mostly we don't need to get ... discouraged. We're dealing from strength. We can get better if we do smart things."
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers