100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox sign Renteria

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:38 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Nomar4prez wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
kentx12 wrote:Im glad they got him but I agree it is an overpay. Seems like everyone is overpaying for the FA's this year.

Yup, thanks to Kris Benson.

I like this move. Hell, it's not my money, and him hitting behind Damon, Bellhorn, Manny and Ortiz will be very pretty.

Now, the question is, do we trade Hanley for a Pedro fill in?

Could Hanley be moved to 2nd base? From what I've heard, he's a damn good prospect. 2nd isn't THAT much different from SS. If we do trade him, I'd expect he'd be in a deal for AJ Burnett. There's no way that Oakland would want him.

Well, if he could be moved to second, he could play second for Oakland...

NO....NO HE CAN'T.... :-o :~(
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:45 pm

Extrapolating Cabrera's short time with Boston to a full season--when all other signs of his offensive performance point to the contrary--is a horrible way to say they are equal or close offensively.

Renteria is a better hitter; just look at their numbers. If that doesn't work for you, Renteria sees more pitches, is more patient and thus gets on base more.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:49 pm

Cooner wrote:sorry to change the subject a bit, but what's the fantasy outlook on this... Renteria slumped a little last year, in an offense that was almost as powerful as the BoSox. He bounced around a lot in the lineup (right?) hitting 2nd and 6th IIRC. Would he bat 5th in Boston? And if so, how should his numbers be affected? Thanks for your thoughts...
My guess is that he would bat 2nd. He always batted lower in the Cardinal lineup but I'm not sure if that was for his own comfort or if it was one of Tony's weird ideas.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:51 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Cooner wrote:sorry to change the subject a bit, but what's the fantasy outlook on this... Renteria slumped a little last year, in an offense that was almost as powerful as the BoSox. He bounced around a lot in the lineup (right?) hitting 2nd and 6th IIRC. Would he bat 5th in Boston? And if so, how should his numbers be affected? Thanks for your thoughts...
My guess is that he would bat 2nd. He always batted lower in the Cardinal lineup but I'm not sure if that was for his own comfort or if it was one of Tony's weird ideas.

He'll bat in the five, six or lower hole. Bellhorn is in the two spot, with good reason. Renteria has been quoted as saying he's uncomfortable in the two spot. I'd bet his power numbers increase in Fenway, but his steals go down.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:59 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Extrapolating Cabrera's short time with Boston to a full season--when all other signs of his offensive performance point to the contrary--is a horrible way to say they are equal or close offensively.

Renteria is a better hitter; just look at their numbers. If that doesn't work for you, Renteria sees more pitches, is more patient and thus gets on base more.

Wasn't he probably trying to force things -- at least sometimes -- while with Montreal to . I'm not trying to say that he's better than Renteria, just that getting out of Montreal and putting him in a better lineup seemed to help him. Of course I'd rather have Renteria, but if you can get similar offensive production and a comprable glove for $2-$3 million less, it makes up for it somewhat, at least IMO. :-? All I was trying to say it that it's a little unfair to compare the two and automatically say Cabrera is inferior because he was stuck in MON while Renteria was playing for STL.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:11 pm

edgar's fantasy value should be fairly similar. decent average and a respectable amount of rbi. probably knock off a few stolen bases. i think there is a degree of risk with the move though. edgar is kind of fragile and just doesnt play well if he isnt in a comfort zone. if he starts out slow and the media gets on him he could really struggle.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Tony Clark is my son » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:17 pm

It's hard to foretell Edgar's stats. Handling the type of pressure in Boston will be new, and he is strikeout prone. Those two factors could leave him struggling for a while.

But the monster also leaves a question. Because he's not really a "power" guy, the monster might take away some extra base hits. His SBs will also go down, and he'll have to adjust to the AL.

in 2005, I predict a dip in Edgar's stats, but I think he'll bounce back nicely after getting adjusted. The one nice think about a player like Edgar, though, is he's always reliable for Gold Glove defense. That won't change in 2004.
Tony Clark is my son
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mojowitt » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:45 pm

I think Renteria is an excellent pick up and I wouldnt say it was an overpay, relative to what else is going on out there (you here me Mr. Minaya?). Hell, he's the best all around SS out there this side of Tejada (sorry Jeter), he fields as well as O-Cab, he's versatle enough to hit anywhere in the lineup, he's a clutch playoff performer, he has no injury issues, and he's only 29. Ask the St Louis fans if that was agood deal for the Sox, Im sure I know the answer....
mojowitt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:12 pm

mojowitt wrote:I think Renteria is an excellent pick up and I wouldnt say it was an overpay, relative to what else is going on out there (you here me Mr. Minaya?). Hell, he's the best all around SS out there this side of Tejada (sorry Jeter), he fields as well as O-Cab, he's versatle enough to hit anywhere in the lineup, he's a clutch playoff performer, he has no injury issues, and he's only 29. Ask the St Louis fans if that was agood deal for the Sox, Im sure I know the answer....

No.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:00 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
mojowitt wrote:I think Renteria is an excellent pick up and I wouldnt say it was an overpay, relative to what else is going on out there (you here me Mr. Minaya?). Hell, he's the best all around SS out there this side of Tejada (sorry Jeter), he fields as well as O-Cab, he's versatle enough to hit anywhere in the lineup, he's a clutch playoff performer, he has no injury issues, and he's only 29. Ask the St Louis fans if that was agood deal for the Sox, Im sure I know the answer....

No.

HAHA

I agree with that
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers