Red Sox sign Renteria - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox sign Renteria

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Nomar4prez » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:06 pm

XTSilver wrote:If the Sox could have had OCab who already is a fit in their clubhouse for 8 mil less than renteria why didn't they just sign him?

Renteria is much better offensively, and should just as easily fit into the clubhouse.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:14 pm

I am so unbelievably disappointed by this.

:,-(
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:17 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I am so unbelievably disappointed by this.

:,-(

me too!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Good move

Postby kcbrett5 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:25 pm

I think it is a great move by the defending champs. Renteria is a top SS. Defense is very good and offensively will do his part. He is solid and not just a scape piece to the puzzle. try and trade Ramirez (H) and maybe Youkilis. If you can't trade Ramirez, Put him at 2nd for a yr at AAA and he'd be ready for 2006. But one way or the other The sox need a legit #2.
kcbrett5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)
Location: Stepping up to the plate, 2 out bases loaded, down by 3, right where i want to be.

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:49 pm

I'm not sure about the latter, but I'll argue with you on the first part. Using my feeble analytical skills this is how I see it. (Comparing Renteria to Cabrera):

Take a look at Cabrera's splits MON/BOS last year. I know it's a small sample size, but if you extrapolate his numbers with the better Boston lineup around him to 162 games (~600 AB's) he hit much better than his career averages in MON.

(w/BOS, for 162 games (Renteria's average last 3 years))

R: 33 --> 87 (86)
HR: 6 --> 16 (11)
RBI: 31 --> 82 (85)
H: 67 --> 178 (176)
AVG: .294 --> 178/600 = .297 -(176/573 = .308 (But that was affected disproportionatly by .330 in '03 IMO))

I guess I said all that just to say that if Cabrera's increase with Boston was due to the lineup (which it was IMO), he is comprable to Renteria in every facet offensively -- including AVG his major knock -- not just power. While I would much rather have Renteria, he's not the offensive stud that I think everyone makes him out to be, especially if Cabrera would come $2-$3million/year cheaper. Maybe I'm just in denial or something, but I don't think Cabrera is that much of a step down for either of these two offenses, at least not a $2-$3million difference. :-? I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm wrong on this. :-/
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:27 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I'm not sure about the latter, but I'll argue with you on the first part. Using my feeble analytical skills this is how I see it. (Comparing Renteria to Cabrera):

Take a look at Cabrera's splits MON/BOS last year. I know it's a small sample size, but if you extrapolate his numbers with the better Boston lineup around him to 162 games (~600 AB's) he hit much better than his career averages in MON.

(w/BOS, for 162 games (Renteria's average last 3 years))

R: 33 --> 87 (86)
HR: 6 --> 16 (11)
RBI: 31 --> 82 (85)
H: 67 --> 178 (176)
AVG: .294 --> 178/600 = .297 -(176/573 = .308 (But that was affected disproportionatly by .330 in '03 IMO))

I guess I said all that just to say that if Cabrera's increase with Boston was due to the lineup (which it was IMO), he is comprable to Renteria in every facet offensively -- including AVG his major knock -- not just power. While I would much rather have Renteria, he's not the offensive stud that I think everyone makes him out to be, especially if Cabrera would come $2-$3million/year cheaper. Maybe I'm just in denial or something, but I don't think Cabrera is that much of a step down for either of these two offenses, at least not a $2-$3million difference. :-? I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm wrong on this. :-/

I don't think you're wrong at all. The two players aren't worlds apart. I think it would come down to clubhouse presence to be honest...anyone have anything good/bad to say about either of them off the field? I would assume that no-news, is good-news when it comes to off the field problems (I haven't heard of any).
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:29 pm

From what I've heard about him in BOS he was great in the clubhouse, but I'm not really sure how accurate that is. In STL everyone loved Renteria from the fans to the players to managment. :,-(
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:30 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:In STL everyone loved Renteria from the fans to the players to managment. :,-(

I'll second that first part.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:31 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:From what I've heard about him in BOS he was great in the clubhouse, but I'm not really sure how accurate that is. In STL everyone loved Renteria from the fans to the players to managment. :,-(

I wouldn't worry about it then, I'm sure that O-Cab is just happy to be out of Montreal....I doubt he cares if he's playing for Boston or St. Louis.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Cooner » Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:37 pm

sorry to change the subject a bit, but what's the fantasy outlook on this... Renteria slumped a little last year, in an offense that was almost as powerful as the BoSox. He bounced around a lot in the lineup (right?) hitting 2nd and 6th IIRC. Would he bat 5th in Boston? And if so, how should his numbers be affected? Thanks for your thoughts...
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers