The Changing Face of Fantasy Baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

The Changing Face of Fantasy Baseball

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

The Changing Face of Fantasy Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:41 am

Does your league use a creative, non-standard scoring system? What are your thoughts on trade vetos? Let us know! :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hardball7690 » Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:24 pm

they are a useful tool when friends are involved in the same league it keeps the power out of there hands and lets the other owners keep the teams fair, but it can get hairy if one owner dislikes one of them.
hardball7690
T-Ball Trainer

Postby EugeneStyles » Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:07 pm

As long as a trade cannot be veto'd by a single 'no' vote, they're a great idea. At least 2 no votes should be required, or have a single no vote cause the issue to be reviewed by the commissioner, rather than being a simple veto.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby dnelms » Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:31 pm

all trade vetos should be dependant on league size. Min of 2 in any league, but I think in any case it should be at least half of your league size.
dnelms
College Coach
College Coach

Postby trevisc » Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:35 pm

I prefer the method where the commish decides. Although sometimes he can be biased and push his own trades through and let yours sit for the max # of days...

Vetos keep it honest in some senses

;-D
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby poop » Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:11 pm

TRADES ARE GOOD, creates activity within the league
VETOs are BAD- pisses managers off, and dulls activity, and creates possable Dead teams;
The commish's control is sometimes bad because Of favorablity towards his own team, But if you have a great commish its good.
- But Cheat'n is the worst thing, so VETOs are needed sometimes.

So recap Trades = good
Vetos = Bad
Cheat'n Sucks

O:-)
DO IT,
poop
poop
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Hbj79 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:29 am

My league uses a 6 x (5x1.2) scoring system.

the cat. are:

Avg,OBA,HR,R,RBI,SB
ERA,Whip, SO, Net wins (wins minus losses), Net saves(saves minus blown saves)

All the pitching cat. are then multiplied by 1.2 so that pitching and hitting are of equal value. We are considering a change this year which would see OBA replaced by a calculated total avg. which would also account for doubles and triples.
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:24 am

:-B I agree with the Gnome :-B
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby ironman » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:05 pm

I run three leagues through Yahoo and find the trade veto policy to be a very hot topic at times.

My stance on it is very liberal. I let almost all trades go through, but there's an exception to that. In all my leagues I'm almost 100% certain I do not have any managers doubling up with two teams in the league. Given that knowledge the likelihood of collusion is very low. That doesn't mean that someone wouldn't get disinterested and try and dump their squad. I have a zero-tolerance policy for team-dumping and/or collusion. If anyone is found to have done this they're immediately locked out from the league and banned from further participation from that league or any other league of mine (NFL, NBA). In the case of team dumping I don't just punish the team that dumped but the team that took the deal as well, for they are just as guilty for taking a trade that would undermine the integrity of the league.

I'm under the firm belief that managers in my league are making intelligent, well-thought out deals to better their position in the standings whether it be short or long term. I feel if two managers are able to reach an agreement on players, that they should be able to make the deal, regardless if its a little lop-sided. This isn't to say I don't get my fair share of complaints every now and then, but it would take a large majority of managers from the league(at least 50%) to get me to veto a trade. I find that most trades that get bitched about often aren't that big of a deal after a few months. Seriously, have you ever looked back at trades made in April and May once the season has ended? A lot of deals that looked even steven suddenly look terrible, while a highly contested deal looks about as fair as can be. I know hindsight is 20-20 but I think people tend to take the narrow view on judging trades sometimes.

Also on the issue of the commish pushing through trades faster than others, I alleviate that problem by simply letting every trade run through the entire trade approval period. Once its gone through the entire period Yahoo will push it through for me. This way it doesn't show any signs of favoritism.

I see wrveres posted before me. He just recently joined my NL-Only league. Well I guess you know my stance on trades now! ;-)
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

trade policy

Postby booboocam1 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:17 pm

No doubt trades can make or break a team. I actually don't trade too much, 2 trades in 3 years. My thinking is I put so much thought in to the draft, I'm gonna have this guy or else.
My take is in a 10 team league that if more than 3 feel wrong about a trade it should be vetoed. That would be just to clear up ill will towards one another, esp. in $$ leagues.
In FFootball I was offered a trade last year that seemed to be a little one-sided in my favor. When 3 from my 12 team league voted against I voided the deal. That was only 3 from 12, yet I didn't like the fact that it was uneven despite the fact it was offered to me.
I run 2 leagues, trades are certainly acceptable and encouraged but are scrutinized over by the rest of the league.
...my 2 cents
booboocam1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Article Discussions