Options for Manny? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Options for Manny?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:14 pm

The Mets were close to acquiring another big bat, Boston's Manny Ramirez, during negotiations with the Red Sox on Sunday, but the deal fell apart when the teams differed on the amount of money the Red Sox would give the Mets. The Boston Herald reported Minaya and Boston general manager Theo Epstein got into a heated exchange when talks failed.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yanksareback2 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:52 pm

This whole trading Manny Ramirez reminds me of something.
What happened the last time the Red Sox traded away the player that helped them win the World Series for Money?

Answer: They didnt win again for 80+ years.

The curse of the Bambino has been broken but I can definately see the curse of Manny Ramirez waging on Red Sox nation for another 80 years.
yanksareback2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby XTSilver » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:04 pm

With posts like that maybe you shoulda kept that little L.
XTSilver
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pacman » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:07 pm

yanksareback2 wrote:
The curse of the Bambino has been broken but I can definately see the curse of Manny Ramirez waging on Red Sox nation for another 80 years.

Yawn. :-[ Please find a new gimmick. The curse stufff sounds pretty lame now. The team in the NYY/Sox rivalry with a losing streak (four years) is the Yankees...

If you must speak about curses, why don't you name THAT curse? The Curse of Giambi.... the Curse of Kevin Brown... the Curse of Slappy McPurpleLips.

Better yet. Come up with something new and original.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby yanksareback2 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:11 pm

I'd love for you guys to trade away one of the best hitters in baseball for Cliff Floyd who cant stay healthy.

The team chemistry of your team that was so great is falling apart as you lose player after player.

and how come your number one priority the leader of your team jason varitek, has not been talked about.
yanksareback2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby XTSilver » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:16 pm

It has already been said time and time again that it would be a move to free up salary. Manny's 20mil a year could get two solid free agents. I'm not saying I agree with the move but to say that its a swap for Floyd is simply ignorant.
Also as for chemitry they lost Pedro who while he was always in the middle of dugout antics he also was known for being a prima dona. They will lose Cabrera who spent less than half a season and replaced him with a guy known for being a great clubhouse presence. I don't think their chemistry will be a problem. I'd be more worried about the Yankees chemistry as George continues to just add star after star with no regard for the "team" concept that dominated baseball in the late 90s.
XTSilver
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby yanksareback2 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:25 pm

Derek Lowe is another guy who is gone.

The longer this takes to get done less and less free agents will be on the board for them to sign.

By Christmas most will be signed aside form beltran and prob maggs

The yankees would never trade away there best player.

He was the MVP. Thats not worth getting some money. They shouldnt of wasted there money for a 2 year deal for David Wells who's 41 and he will be in and out of the dl next year.
yanksareback2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby XTSilver » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:31 pm

Lowe is the biggest head case on the team. He did not contribute to the chemistry that won them the title. Their "band of idiots" look can be attributed to damon, millar, ortiz, and manny. All of whom are still around.
I'd be suprised to see Manny anywhere else than in front of the monster next season.

Of course they never would trade away their best. They don't have to worry about bloated contracts.
XTSilver
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pacman » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:35 pm

XTSilver wrote:Lowe is the biggest head case on the team. He did not contribute to the chemistry that won them the title. Their "band of idiots" look can be attributed to damon, millar, ortiz, and manny. All of whom are still around.
I'd be suprised to see Manny anywhere else than in front of the monster next season.

Of course they never would trade away their best. They don't have to worry about bloated contracts.

Maybe if we ignore yanksareback2 he'll either

a.) go away ;-D

or

b.) stop trying to cover up his ALCS humiliation by lamenting the State of the Red Sox, citing examples like: the SHAME of letting Derek Lowe sign a FA contract elsewhere. :-b
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Budworth22 » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:20 pm

The Sox are smart, and I'm no Sox fan. They don't sign people to monster contracts unless these guys are absolute studs.
Budworth22
College Coach
College Coach

Location: Tallahassee/ Ft. Myers ST Home of the Sox and Twins

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers