Blue Jays - 2005 Preview - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Blue Jays - 2005 Preview

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Blue Jays - 2005 Preview

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:02 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:TOR fans - can you give us a sense of what to look for this yr with the team you project they will have? Maybe a lineup and rotation?

You asked for it:

I'm only going to give proj stats for those who are fantasy-worthy.

1st - Tony Clark .250 27 HR 90 rbi
I know this has not gotten a lot of ink but I say it's better than 50/50 that he ends up in Toronto and Hinske is given away for a bag of balls. JP has mentioned him as a possibility about a dozen times and there is no secret that he has tried to trade Delgado for Clark a number of times over the years but the other team would not pick up Delgado's salary.

2nd - Orlando Hudson .285 15 HR 68 rbi a couple of sb
The O-dawg will win a gold glove this year and will continue to get better in every way. The real captain of the team.

3rd - Corey Koskie .260 30 HR 95 rbi

ss - Russ Adams .300 9 HR 40 rbi a couple of sb
If the rook struggles it will be a mixed bag of vets filling in a ss.

UT - Frank Menechino
DH - Eric Crozier - don't bother

OF - Rios .270 10 HR 70 rbi 25 sb
I don't think that they'll put the brakes on Rios. He has good sense on the basepaths. He may break out even more power this year but there is also a risk that they ruin him like they did Phelps and Hinske - the risk is low though.

OF - Wells .280 30 HR 100 rbi 5 sb
He'll be back and may get traded to a contender if he is doing well and the Jays are out of it early.

OF - Gabe Gross/Frank Catalonatto - both are worthy in AL-only leagues but not in mixed leagues. Gross may be worth a look in keeper leagues.

OF res - John-Ford Griffen - strictly a prospect - will be lucky to get 100 ab if he makes the team.

P - Halladay 17-5 3.10 1.10
Doc will be back
P- Lilly 14-9 4.10 1.29
Good #2
P- Miguel Batista 9-13 4.50 1.45
I think that it will be a miracle if he ends the season with the Jays. Talk of making him their closer - I don't buy it, I think its just talk to generate interest.

rest of the starters:
Jason Arnold - the rook is a long shot to start
Chacin - very high upside. Very good chance to start if Batista is traded. If he makes it through the league twice and they don't catch up to him, he has extremely high upside.
Josh Towers - will get some wins but stay away b/c his other numbers will suck.
David Bush - Much better than Homer Bush. He and Chacin have the highest upside. May be the #3 or 4 starter. Get him late or cheap b/c he could have a break out year. Put a star beside his name.
Justin Miller - :-P
McGowan - coming back from TJ. Stash the Jays best prospect on your keeper team. Very good Ks and will be given every opportunity to get wins and be our #2 starter.

Bullpen - avoid at all costs. Nothing to see here folks - move along.

Closer - Adam Peterson.
JP has been touting him as the closer of the future for 2 years now. He hasn't really shown it yet but he will be given a shot in spring training. Given the lack of good FA closers and the stick up JP's butt there is zero chance of the Jays landing a good one. It will be Peterson or the same old same old.

So Tiger fans - can you give us a sense of what to look for this yr with the team you project they will have? Maybe a lineup and rotation?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:10 pm

nice job with that. I do think Rios will show more pop this year I'm hoping he'll be closer to 20-25 but I was dumbfounded as to why he only hit 1 all of last year so who knows.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby stumpak » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:31 pm

Who is the likely closer if it doesn't go to Peterson?

By the way, Rios has only 21 HRs in 2,500 career professional ABs and his single season high is 11, so I think projecting 10 HRs is being generous. 20-25 sounds ludicrous.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby trevisc » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:38 pm

that's a new one of me..I always thought Brandon League was their future closer...
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:40 pm

stumpak wrote:Who is the likely closer if it doesn't go to Peterson?

By the way, Rios has only 21 HRs in 2,500 career professional ABs and his single season high is 11, so I think projecting 10 HRs is being generous. 20-25 sounds ludicrous.

I'm a generous guy - ask anyone :-D

Rios - he's still young and is filling out. He makes good contact so I think that the power will come, but not a whole lot of power. Ten is good, 20 is not ludicrous but a little high for this year, maybe next year.

As for closers, the same old committee with Frasor and Speier being the front runners.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:44 pm

stumpak wrote:Who is the likely closer if it doesn't go to Peterson?

He had 12 in the short Puerto Rican League in 2003 so he does have potential for power...
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:49 pm

trevisc wrote:that's a new one of me..I always thought Brandon League was their future closer...

Where did you get that idea? League has been moved around a lot. He had a very short stint as a closer but the organization has decided that he is a starter. He deserves to make the team (this said of course before even spring training has started) but its 50/50 that he starts in AAA because the team wants him to be a starter.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby trevisc » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:56 pm

well..he was the closer for New Hampshire's championship team so I assumed that's what they were grooming him for.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:17 pm

trevisc wrote:well..he was the closer for New Hampshire's championship team so I assumed that's what they were grooming him for.

You're right but that was only at the very end of the season as a test. He only got 2 saves and they decided to keep him as a starter and crown Peterson the closer of the future.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby trevisc » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:20 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:You're right but that was only at the very end of the season as a test. He only got 2 saves and they decided to keep him as a starter and crown Peterson the closer of the future.

interesting. Thanks for the 411
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers