For what the mets are paying pedro, they can take him!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

For what the mets are paying pedro, they can take him!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:10 pm

Pedro over the past three years has averaged 103.3, 97.9, and 105.8 pitches per game started.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby El Gaupo » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:23 pm

DK wrote:Pedro over the past three years has averaged 103.3, 97.9, and 105.8 pitches per game started.

I used " not much more than 100 per game" If he falls in line with the last 3 years averages; Is he worth 4/50 ?

I'm not trying to be a Mets basher by any means and I understand that it took the 4th year to sign him but If I were the Mets I probably would not have made the deal. As a Pedro fan I wish him the best.
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DK » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:26 pm

El Gaupo wrote:
DK wrote:Pedro over the past three years has averaged 103.3, 97.9, and 105.8 pitches per game started.

I used " not much more than 100 per game" If he falls in line with the last 3 years averages; Is he worth 4/50 ?

I'm not trying to be a Mets basher by any means and I understand that it took the 4th year to sign him but If I were the Mets I probably would not have made the deal. As a Pedro fan I wish him the best.

Just reminding you that since he did not pitch exactly 106 pitches a game, chances are more likely than not he hit the 120 bar more than once.

Also, see the first link I posted.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:05 pm

I don't feel sorry for them. If you keep failing the same course then you should have to take it again. Unfortunately it's the Mets fans that have to pay the price for their dumb choices.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby DK » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:10 pm

trevisc wrote:I don't feel sorry for them. If you keep failing the same course then you should have to take it again. Unfortunately it's the Mets fans that have to pay the price for their dumb choices.

Hey, trev...

Mike Hampton or Pedro Martinez?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:54 pm

Tavish wrote:
LBJackal wrote:
Tavish wrote:I feel real sorry for them. The most dominant pitcher in the majors for the next 4 seasons. Such a pity. :,-(

Most dominant pre 2004. He's clearly not the pitcher he once was. There's lots of pitchers I'd take over him for the next 4 years.

Based on last season alone then yes there might be a couple of pitchers I would rather have for the next 4 years. This is also a pitcher coming of 6 of the most dominating seasons in the history of baseball. He wasn't just the best, he was head and shoulders above the rest. I guess if he is only a normal dominating pitcher the Mets will have been screwed over.

It's not his skill I'm calling into question, it's the deterioration of his arm. I'm sure he'd be very good, and for a team with a payroll like the Mets would probably be worth the money if he was healthy. A torn labrum pretty much dooms a pitcher however. Ask Robb Nen about that. Ask the other 36 pitchers who have had torn labrums over the past 5 years. There's only one that had a successful return: Rocky Biddle (if you consider that successful). And this is a wise $50M risk to make? Well if the Mets think so, good for them, it's not my $50M. At least it'll provide some ammo for Mets jokes once Piazza's $15M contract is up in 2006.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers