Pirates catcher woes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pirates catcher woes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pirates catcher woes

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:42 pm

Dec. 13 The Pirates appear to have given up their attempt to trade for Charles Johnson, so they have turned their attention to acquiring Benito Santiago (C) KC. from the Royals, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Having dealt Jason Kendall, the team is looking for a veteran to back up Humberto Cota.

OH MY GOD! If we have to settle for Santiago i will shoot myself!
Image
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3522
Joined: 8 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby GiantFan666 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:39 pm

Why can't they use Craig Wilson?????
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 1588
Joined: 16 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Midwest Hell aka Omaha

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:44 pm

GiantFan666 wrote:Why can't they use Craig Wilson?????


Lloyd wont play Craig behind the plate full time. He is one of the their biggest hitters and would rather see him stay fresh at first.

I have a feeling the Pirates will give House every chance to go and and win the spot out of camp while getting a guy like Benito to be there as insurance. House has nice potential but he has yet to prove he can stay healthy in his whole LIFE
Image
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3522
Joined: 8 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsylvania

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:57 pm

you guys are talking about the pirates as if they were a contender or something...

who cares who they play at catcher they will be a non-fantasy issue. If you are a pirates fan then i'm sorry but you guys have a LOT more to worry about then the catcher position.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 11271
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby prodpaul » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:26 am

trevisc wrote:you guys are talking about the pirates as if they were a contender or something...

who cares who they play at catcher they will be a non-fantasy issue. If you are a pirates fan then i'm sorry but you guys have a LOT more to worry about then the catcher position.

Hey Trev I care because they are about to take on Benito (You can time my jog to first with a Sun dial) Santiago and take him off our hands in KC. ;-D
Image

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2475
Joined: 22 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Kansas City, MO

Postby stumpak » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:42 am

The Pirates are a team that is going no where but has some young pitching with strong potential. Those types of teams typically focus on hastening pitcher development with a veteran catcher like Santiago. For this reason, I am doubting that they have any intention to let House have a shot at a full time job, but if they if he is not in AAA to start the season they will need to get him enough ABs and time behind the plate to justify keeping him in the bigs. This probably means a very muddled catching situation with House and Santiago spliting duties 50/50, which makes both pretty worthless from a fantasy perspective. This is pure conjecture, but given how most teams like to handle these things, it is probably what the Pirates will do.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2729
Joined: 9 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington, DC

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:55 am

trevisc wrote:you guys are talking about the pirates as if they were a contender or something...

who cares who they play at catcher they will be a non-fantasy issue. If you are a pirates fan then i'm sorry but you guys have a LOT more to worry about then the catcher position.


apparently you don't play NL Only ball ..
You should try it sometime though, not only is it fun, but you also wouldn't be making stupid statements like this anymore ..


:-t :-t :-t
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:04 am

wrveres wrote:apparently you don't play NL Only ball ..
You should try it sometime though, not only is it fun, but you also wouldn't be making stupid statements like this anymore ..
:-t :-t :-t


I stand corrected. I should have been more sensitive to all of you hardcore fantasy players that play in the NL or AL only leagues. My pea brain is just not equipt enough to be able to keep up with all of the possible players that are coming up in the minors and all that jazz so I offer my sincerest apologies if I offended anyone by my comments.

I do not, however, have any plans to play in a NL only league because I have a hard enough time winning when the player pool is much bigger.

;-D
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 11271
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby wrveres » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:09 am

trevisc wrote:
wrveres wrote:apparently you don't play NL Only ball ..
You should try it sometime though, not only is it fun, but you also wouldn't be making stupid statements like this anymore ..
:-t :-t :-t


I stand corrected. I should have been more sensitive to all of you hardcore fantasy players that play in the NL or AL only leagues. My pea brain is just not equipt enough to be able to keep up with all of the possible players that are coming up in the minors and all that jazz so I offer my sincerest apologies if I offended anyone by my comments.

I do not, however, have any plans to play in a NL only league because I have a hard enough time winning when the player pool is much bigger.

;-D


thank you trev ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Oct. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact