WSCR - Sox get Podsednik/Vizcaino for Carlos Lee - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WSCR - Sox get Podsednik/Vizcaino for Carlos Lee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stumpak » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:55 pm

I agree they got screwed big time, but if they do indeed sign Polanco, there is suddenly an apparent rationale. Polanco is basically Lee with 10-15 HRs as opposed to 30 and little bit better OBP--same in BA, even SB but he is an average to good defender at 2B as opposed to Lee's bad glove. If you assume that you get a good reliever in Vizcaino plus Polanco plus Pods for Lee that is not really such a horrible trade off. It solves there 3B problem by shifting Uribe to the corner or just putting Polanco there. But I do agree that Pods still sucks.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fantasy czar » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:58 pm

i think what the sox are trying to do is get smarter, faster baserunners. if you've noticed the sox haven't done anything in terms of postseason while leading the league in homers (or being top 5 in homers).
i'm optimistic about the trade. i like it if the sox get a better defensive 3B than crede and someone to replace willie harris (preferably not named alomar).
if all the sox do is get pods, it's a lose.
fantasy czar Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby stumpak » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:03 pm

Your right, I am forgetting about Guillen's fixation with small ball.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby fantasy czar » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:06 pm

and "ozzie ball"!!!!!!! ;-D
fantasy czar Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Tavish » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:10 pm

Not sure if I saw a link or not but here you go. The ChiSox save about $5.5 million in the deal, they need some help in the pen, and had way to many power right handed bats. That worked great when they face teams like the Royals who throw every LHP who owns a pair of cleats at them, but they really needed some sort of left handed bat. The deal would probably have been better for the ChiSox if they could have gotten the Pods/Ginter package that was originally rumored, but this still helps the team out. With the spare change they could easily make a strong offer for another starter like Perez.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby LBJackal » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:14 pm

Tavish wrote:Not sure if I saw a link or not but here you go. The ChiSox save about $5.5 million in the deal, they need some help in the pen, and had way to many power right handed bats. That worked great when they face teams like the Royals who throw every LHP who owns a pair of cleats at them, but they really needed some sort of left handed bat. The deal would probably have been better for the ChiSox if they could have gotten the Pods/Ginter package that was originally rumored, but this still helps the team out. With the spare change they could easily make a strong offer for another starter like Perez.

I'd bet Lee could hit better lefthanded than Pods and Ginter :-b But they do save money I suppose. Losing Maggs, Lee, and Thomas for a while will really hurt their run production, though. They USED to have too much right handed power but I don't think they should view that as a problem. Oh well, Maggs and Lee are gone. I'd be pretty pissed if I was a Sox fan.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:20 pm

LBJackal wrote:I'd bet Lee could hit better lefthanded than Pods and Ginter :-b

If Lee was able to pitch middle relief and willing to take a $5 million dollar pay cut along with hitting lefties better they probably wouldn't have made the trade. ;-)

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Zito is God » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:32 pm

This is EXTREMELY biased:

Ok, I hate the deal, this probobly hurts me the most out of all the deals made this offseason. Pdsednik was one of my fav young guns who I cheered for everyday, he showed great ability to get on base and some incredible speed few could match. Carlos Lee has bust written all over him, maybe its because hes a quiet guy who egts no media attention but I just don't see his numbers repeating. One of my fav outfields went to one of my most hated teams...wait for it....*heart rips*

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Rico The Retard » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:46 pm

I think the brewers will be pretty good next year, just sign some decent players for the bullpen and they look good
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:43 pm

Zito is God wrote:This is EXTREMELY biased:

Ok, I hate the deal, this probobly hurts me the most out of all the deals made this offseason. Pdsednik was one of my fav young guns who I cheered for everyday, he showed great ability to get on base and some incredible speed few could match. Carlos Lee has bust written all over him, maybe its because hes a quiet guy who egts no media attention but I just don't see his numbers repeating. One of my fav outfields went to one of my most hated teams...wait for it....*heart rips*

HUH?
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 450)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers