Rosenthal on Boras' Boys - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rosenthal on Boras' Boys

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rosenthal on Boras' Boys

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:33 pm

More Rumors!

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3244080

Ken Rosenthal wrote:Carlos Beltran: Yankees. The Astros will fight to the end, but don't bet on their owner, Drayton McLane, outspending George Steinbrenner. By Yankees standards, the additions of Beltran, 27, along with righthanders Carl Pavano, 28, and Jaret Wright, 28, would qualify as a youth movement.


Adrian Beltre: Tigers. The Mariners made Beltre an offer, but Seattle never goes far enough. The addition of a Boras client, catcher Ivan Rodriguez, helped revive the Tigers last season. Boras will serve as Mike Ilitch's personal Svengali until further notice.


Jason Varitek: Red Sox. G.M. Theo Epstein grew so consumed by other pursuits at the meetings, it seemed he might forget to re-sign his catcher. In the end, no other team will pay as much as the Sox.


J.D. Drew: Cubs. If the Cubs can't sign Beltran, Drew would represent a viable option at a much lesser price, replacing Moises Alou in left field -- or Sammy Sosa, a candidate to be traded, in right.


Magglio Ordonez: Rangers. Coming off knee surgery, Ordonez would be a perfect fit for a team in need of a slugging DH. A one-year contract would work to the benefit of everyone.


Kevin Millwood: Braves. Yes, the Braves are interested in reuniting Millwood with pitching coach Leo Mazzone. Millwood would be wise to sign a one-year contract and re-establish his value.


Derek Lowe: Tigers. The native of Dearborn, Mich., would complete Boras' Detroit daily double. Ka-ching!


A lot of this stuff we are already all over here at the Cafe - but I figured another take on the FA roulette is always appreciated.

Personally, I would be absolutely eccstatic if we landed Beltre - damn the costs. Illitch isnt paying any Wings salaries this season, so why not?
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:50 pm

the worst one is Maggs to Texas. Why do they keep investing in hitters?

Go out and sign guys like Pavano and Pedro, etc etc
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 11271
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby slomo007 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:54 pm

trevisc wrote:the worst one is Maggs to Texas. Why do they keep investing in hitters?

Go out and sign guys like Pavano and Pedro, etc etc


While I agree with you in concept, it's almost impossible to actually convince young starters to come to Texas. I'll admit that they probably could have convinced Pedro because he has nothing left to prove, but there is no way they can convince good, young talented starters to play in that ballpark...they have too much to lose if they struggle there (like their futures).
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:56 pm

slomo007 wrote:
trevisc wrote:the worst one is Maggs to Texas. Why do they keep investing in hitters?

Go out and sign guys like Pavano and Pedro, etc etc


While I agree with you in concept, it's almost impossible to actually convince young starters to come to Texas. I'll admit that they probably could have convinced Pedro because he has nothing left to prove, but there is no way they can convince good, young talent to play in that ballpark...they have too much to lose if they struggle there (like their futures).


I've always thought that was their problem. Even if it's overhyped the stadium's reputation preceeds itself. I'm not sure how much it affects players decisions to go there but it has to at least be in the back of their mind. :-?
Image
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 6480
Joined: 6 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Swiping second

Postby slomo007 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:58 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rangers go after Lowe...he seems like he'd be a good fit. He obviously won't be an ace....but he seems like he'll get the job done and his sinker would fit nicely.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:38 pm

Derek Lowe in the BalPark at Arlington?....I shudder to think of the ERA. Sinker baller or not, he is simply not a very good pitcher who effectively had one very good year.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:39 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Derek Lowe in the BalPark at Arlington?....I shudder to think of the ERA. Sinker baller or not, he is simply not a very good pitcher who effectively had one very good year.


I agree with you that he's not that good...but if his price tag is around $5 million/year, I'd gamble on him if I'm Texas. They need all the help they can get to be honest.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:02 am

hey..if Kenny Rogers can get 18 wins there then anything in possible!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 11271
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:31 am

slomo007 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Derek Lowe in the BalPark at Arlington?....I shudder to think of the ERA. Sinker baller or not, he is simply not a very good pitcher who effectively had one very good year.


I agree with you that he's not that good...but if his price tag is around $5 million/year, I'd gamble on him if I'm Texas. They need all the help they can get to be honest.


Im pretty sure Lowe is asking closer to 7 a yr. Whoever gets him is going to overpay if you ask me - nothing more than a solid #3 or 4 P.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact