Do GMs have a memory? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do GMs have a memory?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bloody Nipples » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:24 am

Lofunzo wrote:Clement and Odalis are known commodities but that doesn't mean that they are good. In 318 career starts, they are a combined 4 games under .500. :-°

since when did wins matter?
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:29 am

Lofunzo wrote:Clement and Odalis are known commodities but that doesn't mean that they are good. In 318 career starts, they are a combined 4 games under .500. :-°

This may be the case, but both pitchers have matured over their careers and I'd drool over having either in my rotation.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Ha

Postby Ballwreckers » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:33 am

Clement and Odalis are known commodities but that doesn't mean that they are good. In 318 career starts, they are a combined 4 games under .500.

I don't think its Clement's fault that the Cubs pulled an Arizonia and didn't score many runs for a good pitcher. He has been consistantly a good strikeout pitcher with a decent ERA and Whip as well. I think if he goes to a team that will give him run support (not like the cubs can't, they just won't) and a decent bullpen to back him up he will give you the wins one would expect him to have.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:37 am

I think basing Clements value on wins isn't fair at all. His K:BB, K/9, ERA, and WHIP have all been solid over the last few years, it's just that he has gotten hardly any RS especially last year.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:59 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:

since when did wins matter?

This is getting to be too much. I would agree that wins aren't the best indicator of a pitcher's worth but people here take it to the other extreme. It's not that they don't matter. The name of the game is wins.

Which numbers would you prefer:

K/IP: .82
K/BB: 2.10
ERA: 4.20
WHIP: 1.33

I'm not saying that these guys are bad. I'm just saying that they're not as good as some people make them out to be. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:39 am

I'm not sure who's numbers those are, but I would gladly take Clements numbers from the last three years:

K/BB: 2.4
K/9: 8.9
ERA: 3.76
WHIP: 1.24

Sure it's not elite status, but I'd take that anyday.
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:46 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I'm not sure who's numbers those are, but I would gladly take Clements numbers from the last three years:

K/BB: 2.4
K/9: 8.9
ERA: 3.76
WHIP: 1.24

Sure it's not elite status, but I'd take that anyday.

Those were the combined numbers of those 2 stars. I think that Clement is good and has solid stuff but I am just disappointed that he hasn't really it it all together yet.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:56 am

Oh, OK I thought it was one of those "guess the players" things. :-D BTW I don't consider Clement a star, I just think he doesn't get the recognition he deserves, and is fairly underrate that's all. ;-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Cow » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:55 am

Speaking of GMs, some are so poor (or so they say) that they can not afford a checker board let alone a chess board. These GMs are using the dart board at the local pub and using it to decide who they sign. I think Shapiro (Tribe GM) had a few too many brewskies when he through the dart leading him to sign Jose Hernandez, Yikes.

Cow lookin for a real team
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers