Rumor Just in: Pedro to the Mets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor Just in: Pedro to the Mets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:14 pm

Well for a bet I'll take Sheets and DK you can have Pedro. Sheets is in a better hitters park, but hey I'm confident in him. Lowest ERA wins. ERA title also requires 162 IP just like in real life, just in case Pedro pitches a gem against the Expos and then blows out his shoulder in April. I don't want loopholes here :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:14 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
I understand and I am now in full support of this signing. The Mets needed some credibility and some excitement for opening day and Pedro is much more exciting than marching Glavine out there again. The extra year is no biggie either as they really just need 2-3 good years and the 4th year is just gravy.

As for Pedro being the best, I look at it is a bet. You have Pedro and I have the field. :-?

All my hard work pays off. :D

I'm not a gambling man, but I feel safe in my assessment. I don't think the fourth year is going to be just gravy: He'll still be an above-average pitcher, but not the Pedro he was before. He'll be 37 then, after all.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:15 pm

DK wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
I understand and I am now in full support of this signing. The Mets needed some credibility and some excitement for opening day and Pedro is much more exciting than marching Glavine out there again. The extra year is no biggie either as they really just need 2-3 good years and the 4th year is just gravy.

As for Pedro being the best, I look at it is a bet. You have Pedro and I have the field. :-?

All my hard work pays off. :D

I'm not a gambling man, but I feel safe in my assessment. I don't think the fourth year is going to be just gravy: He'll still be an above-average pitcher, but not the Pedro he was before. He'll be 37 then, after all.

Just so you know, by the 4th year being gravy, I meant that it was immaterial here. What they need from him is 2-3 very good (at least) years from him. If he is able to pitch a decent 4th, cool. If not, it will still be worth it to them.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:16 pm

I'm not saying it was a bad signing for the Mets, just a risky one. The main point I'm disagreeing with is that Pedro is the best pitcher in baseball.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:20 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:2002-
RJ- 24-5, 2.32 ERA, 334 Ks
Pedro- 20-4, 2.26 ERA, 239 Ks

2001-
RJ- 21-6, 2.49 ERA, 372 Ks
Pedro- 7-3, 2.39 ERA, 163 Ks

And Randy had him beat most years before Pedro was a Red Sock. How far back to you want to go? You can keep bringing up his stats in '99, '00 and '01, but the fact is, he's not the same pitcher.

Just take a look at his IP if you want proof of that.
1999- 213.1
2000- 217.0
2001- 116.2
2002- 199.1
2003- 186.2
2004- 217.0 **His worst year in a long time**

He's not the horse he used to be. There is major MPH falling off his fastball and he's putting up numbers equal or worse than Randy being 10 years younger.

Whoops, didn't mean 2001. Although had he pitched the same amount of innings, he would have been just as good.

In 2002, Pedro had a 2.26 ERA in a league where the average ERA was 4.42. RJ had a 2.32 ERA in a league where the average ERA was 4.40. Their ERA+'s show Pedro at 196, while RJ is at 190.

Randy's not the same pitcher he was in '99, '00, and '01 either. No real reason to say that.

Pedro's bad year is not attributable to his high IP count. If that were true, he would have pitched at his usual level all season, and simply bombed in his last five starts. (He actually did bomb in his last three, but his ERA was above 4 earlier in the year, so that's a moot point). Pedro had an off year. I don't know why, really, and it's not my place to discuss it.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DK » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:22 pm

LBJackal wrote:Well for a bet I'll take Sheets and DK you can have Pedro. Sheets is in a better hitters park, but hey I'm confident in him. Lowest ERA wins. ERA title also requires 162 IP just like in real life, just in case Pedro pitches a gem against the Expos and then blows out his shoulder in April. I don't want loopholes here :-D

I'll take that bet. Do you want to use ERA or ERA+?

Also, if either pitcher blows out his arm before the 162 limit, the bet should be void. The injury's not our fault.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:24 pm

I never said Randy is his same self, but look at the numbers he's throwing up at 40+ years old. Pedro is declining alot quicker. Randy is always comparable to Pedro, unless an injury is involved, and Randy is 10 years older. Pedro was the best pitcher in baseball, but now he's falling off. He's still going to be great for 2 or 3 years for the Mets, but it's risky considering how much velocity he's been losing and how his injury history is.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:02 pm

Just a clarification: Pedro does not have a labrum tear. He has a rotator cuff tear (same problem Clemens had) that occured while he was with Boston. There has been a lot of speculation that he did and it's getting beaten to death on the radio.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:06 pm

Amazinz wrote:Just a clarification: Pedro does not have a labrum tear. He has a rotator cuff tear (same problem Clemens had) that occured while he was with Boston. There has been a lot of speculation that he did and it's getting beaten to death on the radio.

It's clear that he has a rotator cuff tear--but a lot speculate he is having labrum problems. Is the speculation what bothers you?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:13 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Just a clarification: Pedro does not have a labrum tear. He has a rotator cuff tear (same problem Clemens had) that occured while he was with Boston. There has been a lot of speculation that he did and it's getting beaten to death on the radio.

It's clear that he has a rotator cuff tear--but a lot speculate he is having labrum problems. Is the speculation what bothers you?

No speculation doesn't bother me but people talk about like it's fact which it obviously isn't. Also, Pedro was in NY today and took his physical including an MRI and all that jazz. The press conference will be tommorow.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers