Blue Jays Koskie, Carlos Lee and Joe Crede - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Blue Jays Koskie, Carlos Lee and Joe Crede

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Blue Jays Koskie, Carlos Lee and Joe Crede

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:48 am

The Jays have reportedly signed Koskie to a 3 yr $17M deal. He only needs to pass a physical. The Jays plan to move Hinske to first base if they cannot trade him.

The other Toronto rumour is that the Jays will hold on to Vernon Wells and Alex Rios and may unload Hiske and Miguel Batista to the White Sox for Joe Crede and Carlos Lee?!? This came from a Jays "insider" this morning on the radio. There has to be more to it but that is the rumour.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... s/Baseball

This is a subscription and you may not get it so here is the whole article:

Jays will try to mend gaping hole in offence

Ricciardi unlikely to trade Wells or Rios and wants two bats to replace Delgado

By JEFF BLAIR
BASEBALL REPORTER
Saturday, December 11, 2004 - Page S1

E-mail this Article
Print this Article

Advertisement
Follow This Topic
Have the news stories that matter most sent to your inbox daily.

Follow the news…

on
National Basketball Association

on
The NHL Lockout

Create your own alert

ANAHEIM, CALIF. -- The crying and the spinning are done, and now the Toronto Blue Jays must deal with the most important aspect of Carlos Delgado's departure: replacing his offence.

Even with Delgado, the Blue Jays finished third last in the American League in batting average (.260) and on-base percentage (.328) and tied with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for the third fewest home runs (145.) Bringing free agent Corey Koskie in, getting a full year from Frank Catalanotto and hoping that Russ Adams gives them an upgrade at shortstop alone doesn't make them a better offensive team.

"We've said we'd like to add two bats," general manager J.P. Ricciardi said. "You aren't going to replace Carlos's 35 or 40 homers and 100 RBIs with one guy. We need two, then maybe chip away elsewhere."

No wonder Ricciardi spent part of yesterday's first day of the winter meetings dismissing suggestions he would consider trading Vernon Wells or Alexis Rios. Ricciardi was also scheduled to meet late last night with Pat Rooney, Koskie's agent, and he and his lieutenants are closely monitoring the activities of the Chicago White Sox, with an eye toward acquiring left fielder and designated hitter Carlos Lee, who also played first base.

The White Sox's general manager, Kenny Williams, needs to regain some of the sports pages from the Chicago Cubs, and Lee or first baseman Paul Konerko could be dealt as he attempts to clear the decks for a significant free-agent acquisition to remake a team that has already lost free agent Magglio Ordonez.

Lee, a 28-year-old right-handed hitter, batted .305, with 31 homers and 99 runs batted in, and had an on-base percentage of .366. He interests the Blue Jays, even though he will make $8-million next season (as will Konerko, who has his own supporters in the Blue Jays' front office) and even though adding him and Koskie means the Blue Jays would move either Eric Hinske or Miguel Batista, or both, perhaps throwing a prospect such as Gabe Gross in as a sweetener.

Hinske will get a raise to $3-million next season, while Batista will earn $4.75-million.

Reports that Ricciardi approached the Washington Nationals about a trade that would send Rios to the National League club for Nick Johnson are wrong. Officials with both clubs say it was the Nationals who approached the Blue Jays and that Ricciardi was properly dismissive, since Johnson will be a free agent in two years (the Blue Jays have Rios for five more years) and is too often hurt.

Rios is on an intensive weightlifting program this off-season to see whether he can improve his power numbers. "But he's weightlifting naturally," Ricciardi quipped, referring to baseball's current obsession with steroids.

Wells was the subject of some interest on the part of the Anaheim Angels until yesterday's signing of Steve Finley.

"I would have to be bowled over to even think of trading Vernon or Rios," Ricciardi said. "Know what? It ain't going to happen. We already have enough offence we need to replace." Wells will make $2.9-million in 2005 in the third year of a five-year deal, making him hugely cost-effective for a team with a $53-million payroll.

While Ricciardi described some of the free-agent contracts signed in the past two days as "eye-opening," he said it probably won't have an impact on the players the Blue Jays are pursuing.

Koskie and pitcher Matt Clement remain the Blue Jays' free-agent focus. The Cleveland Indians, considered to be the front-runner for Clement's services, believe the right-hander is now out of their price range because of the bloated contracts offered to other pitchers. But Ricciardi said last night that he thought the Blue Jays were "still in the picture."

Designated hitter candidates such as Tony Clark and possibly even former Blue Jay John Olerud are in the background. "Not plan A," as Ricciardi described them.

The team is interested in bringing back former closer Billy Koch in a setup role -- "we've always like the arm," Ricciardi said.

Ricciardi confirmed that the Blue Jays are considering making a formal offer to left-handed reliever Steve Kline, a key member of the St. Louis Cardinals' bullpen, who was not offered arbitration by the club. Kline, a former member of the Montreal Expos, whose wife is from Montreal, was left off the Cardinals' World Series roster. A durable pitcher who had a 1.79 earned-run average last season, Kline made $1.7-million and will likely expect in the neighbourhood of $2.5-million.

He underwent surgery last month to repair a torn tendon in his left index finger.

Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:03 pm

Hinske and Batista for Creed and Lee??? Thats about as realistic as the Johnson for Rios rumor IMO.

Going after Kline and Koch might be a solid move for them.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Subversive » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:06 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Hinske and Batista for Creed and Lee??? Thats about as realistic as the Johnson for Rios rumor IMO.

But it sure would be a nice trade for the Jays. I'd be pretty excited as a Jays fan if they did that.
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:08 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Hinske and Batista for Creed and Lee??? Thats about as realistic as the Johnson for Rios rumor IMO.

Going after Kline and Koch might be a solid move for them.

I know that it sounds far-fetched but that's the rumour that they're repeating on Toronto sports radio. The phrase was "heated discussions" with these 4 players involved in the deal.

Of course there is an NHL strike and the Raptors just lost their 7th in a row and there isn't a lot to talk about on Toronto sports radio.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:11 pm

I excited about the Koskie move. Definitely ups his value in my book
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Subversive » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:12 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Of course there is an NHL strike and the Raptors just lost their 7th in a row and there isn't a lot to talk about on Toronto sports radio.

Ugggh, same with Calgary sports radio lately. It's so painful, I've started listening to oldies radio. :)
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby looptid » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:34 pm

Terry Ryan confuses me sometimes. Given Koskie's injury plagued career, I think the Blue Jays may have overspent some, but some of the players the Twins signed and others they haven't gotten rid of in light of Koskie leaving is crazy.

Do we really need Jacque Jones putting up a sub-league average OBP (and that's overall league OBP, the gap gets worse if you look just at right fielders in the American League) for $4-$6 million a season when we have Stewart, Hunter, and Ford all under contract, in addition to the time Mauer may or may not need to spend at DH this season? And if not, LeCroy can provide a similar OPS for much less money than Jones as just a hitter. And Jaun Castro for a couple million dollars? I'm sick and tired of the Twins' front office signing marginal players and using the veteran excuse. Jaun Castro? Yeah, the Twins need his leadership and experience, because the two other futility infielders in Punto and Ojeda weren't enough.

And how much will Ryan give to keep offensive blackhole Luis Rivas at second base?

Koskie is great when fully healthy, which seems to be the case for about 100 games a season, but he's still a much better investment than the funds the Twins will end up allocating to Jones/Rivas/Castro--who are all unnecessary if Koskie is at third which would allow the Twins to play Cuddyer at second.

And with reference to the Canadians and their lost NHL, I might shed a tear if that league actually used adult sized rinks. Using the North Stars team that lost to the Penguins in the Stanley Cup finals a number of years back as a reference point, those closets the NHL calls rinks favor a style of play that rewards the Basil McRae's a thousand times more than it does the Mike Madano's. Skating, passing, and stickhandling are all unnecessary skills now. And the devil himself is now coaching the Wild.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:49 pm

looptid wrote:And with reference to the Canadians and their lost NHL, I might shed a tear if that league actually used adult sized rinks. Using the North Stars team that lost to the Penguins in the Stanley Cup finals a number of years back as a reference point, those closets the NHL calls rinks favor a style of play that rewards the Basil McRae's a thousand times more than it does the Mike Madano's. Skating, passing, and stickhandling are all unnecessary skills now. And the devil himself is now coaching the Wild.

ummm, they're called the Dallas Stars now. You also wouldn't be calling him a devil if he brought you as many Stanley Cups as he brought to the swamp.

I do agree with you on the rink size though. The NHL missed the boat a few years ago when all of the new rinks were being built. I do like the game on the larger ice surface but if you ever get rink-side seat you would love the hitting and the closeness of the game in the smaller rinks. But don't worry, Gaborik will do fine no matter what size the rink is.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby mikegp » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:58 pm

looptid wrote:And with reference to the Canadians and their lost NHL, I might shed a tear if that league actually used adult sized rinks. Using the North Stars team that lost to the Penguins in the Stanley Cup finals a number of years back as a reference point, those closets the NHL calls rinks favor a style of play that rewards the Basil McRae's a thousand times more than it does the Mike Madano's. Skating, passing, and stickhandling are all unnecessary skills now. And the devil himself is now coaching the Wild.

Unfortunatly, owners would loose money if they made the rinks bigger. For the record, I like the international hockey style of rink because i find it more exciting especially without the two-line pass rule.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:11 pm

Back to the topic...

wow, how could JP pull this one off? They could take HInske and Miggy if they wanted to pay theitr contracts. How do we end up getting Crede and Lee in the deal? Sounds too good to be true.

And to whoever said we should get Koch again, I never want that excuse for a relief pitcher playing for the Jays again. Steve Kline though, yeah we could use him.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers