Giants sign Matheny - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giants sign Matheny

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Giants sign Matheny

Postby TownDrunk » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:51 am

According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Mike Matheny and the Giants have agreed to terms on a three-year, $9 million contract.
Ugly. The 34-year-old Matheny is declining defensively and he's never been any good offensively. Even if A.J. Pierzynski was no longer an option, the Giants probably would have been better off starting Yorvit Torrealba than paying Matheny $3 million per year. Dec. 13 - 1:19 am et
Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch

From rotoworld.com

I guess Sabean was serious when he said improving the defense up the middle was a top priority.

I actually do not like this signing as I'm one of the few Giants fans who liked AJ. This club is going to sorely miss his bat and his trade value is pretty much shot now that clubs know the Giants are going to non tender him. $10 bucks says he heads to the Bums too :-P

Although, there is a rumor of AJ and Jerome Williams for Vernon Wells floating around several message boards. Something to keep an eye on.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:57 am

i agree. not a good move by the giants. i think they were better off with AJ. didn't the giants fans expect too much from AJ and now they are disappointed with him?

as for the vernon wells rumor...i doubt it. he's a superstar, the jays can't afford to trade him away.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby TownDrunk » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:00 am

The majority of Giants fans pretty much dislike the guy. For reasons that vary from the clubhouse spat with Tomko, his attitude, the fact that he didn't hit .300, or because of his 2nd half slump. Pick a reason, any reason :-b

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby Bloody Nipples » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:40 am

Terrible move for the giants. Matheny cant hit, and Torrealba is just as good defensively. That Wells rumor better be true, or else...
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:22 am

We better not deal Wells. We have him at a bargain price, and that's not enough to get in return IMO. Pierzynski isn't even taht good and I don't know about Jerome Williams - he hasn't impressed me much yet.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:08 am

yeah..that's not a good move on their part in my opinion
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:12 am

trevisc wrote:yeah..that's not a good move on their part in my opinion

I agree. A player with little offensive ability going into that park - ugly. And at $3M/year? What did AJ want? Can't believe it was that much more.

I don't know how good Torrealba is defensively, but can he be that bad to not want to use the money for a legitimate hitter to pair with Bonds?
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:04 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:Terrible move for the giants. Agree Matheny cant hit, Agree and Torrealba is just as good defensively. Not even close
Although by the time the 3 year deal is over he probally will be better defensively. I'm just happy the Cards didn't shell out that kind of money for Matheny.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Bloody Nipples » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:28 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Bloody Nipples wrote:Terrible move for the giants. Agree Matheny cant hit, Agree and Torrealba is just as good defensively. Not even close
Although by the time the 3 year deal is over he probally will be better defensively. I'm just happy the Cards didn't shell out that kind of money for Matheny.

Ive watched Torrealba many times, and hes damn good defensively. Maybe Matheny is better, but I am sure Torrealba's better hitting more than makes up for that difference.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:40 am

matheny is one of those guys that supposedly does all of the intangible things right but is not so good with the tangible stuff like hitting the ball. if you buy into the good leader/works well with the pitchers stuff then i guess 3 mil is an ok price tag, but three years is a little bit long unless the last one is an option.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers