Hudson to the Braves/Dodgers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hudson to the Braves/Dodgers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ensanimal » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:35 pm

looks like hudson won't be moving for a 2b...

Keith Ginter - 2B - OAK

Athletics acquired infielder Keith Ginter from the Brewers for RHP Justin Lehr and outfielder Nelson Cruz.
A's GM Billy Beane hasn't had any luck getting a quality second baseman in the Tim Hudson trade talks, so he picked up some Mark Ellis insurance elsewhere. Ginter, 28, hit .262/.333/.479 in 386 AB last season. He lacks range at second base, but he hits enough to still be an adequate option at the position. Also, he gives the team a nice backup for Eric Chavez. It will be interesting to see what happens if Ellis does show up at 100 percent in the spring. His defense might result in Ginter remaining a part-time player. Dec. 15 - 4:44 pm et

Justin Lehr - R - MLW

Brewers acquired RHP Justin Lehr and outfielder Nelson Cruz from the Athletics in exchange for infielder Keith Ginter.
With Rickie Weeks available in case Junior Spivey gets hurt and Russell Branyan and Wes Helms at third base, Ginter was expendable, and GM Doug Melvin needed to rebuild his pen after trading Danny Kolb and Luis Vizcaino. This is a decent first step. Lehr, 27, needs a better second pitch if he's going to turn into a quality setup man, but with his 94 mph fastball, he can be adequate in the middle innings now. The Brewers will need to keep looking for a closer. Dec. 15 - 4:40 pm et

Nelson Cruz - OF - MLW

Outfielder Nelson Cruz was traded from Oakland to Milwaukee in a three-player deal.
Given his walk rate, it's no surprise that Cruz was trade bait. Still, he's a legitimate prospect. The 24-year-old hit .345/.407/.582 in 66 games at Single-A Modesto and .313/.377/.542 in 67 games at Double-A Midland last season. He has a chance to be a regular corner outfielder, but we see him as more of a reserve. Dec. 15 - 4:37 pm et
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 120)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:38 pm

Another good deal for Milwaukee. What has gotten in to them? Are they actually trying to compete? :-?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:45 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Well, you tell me, is Smoltz starting or not? If not, why trade for Kolb? Facts are, he's in the rotation. If you don't think the MLBPA looks at it this way, well, you and I will just have to disagree.

Well it seems we agree :-D

They're both in the same situation; the money isn't guaranteed. But like I said, they take it case by case and look at the possibility of having the clause triggered without voiding it.

And there have been talks about Sammy being traded with the clause still intact, and the Cubs eating $4.5M of his 2006 contract. I really don't think they want him back whatsoever and if the contract clause is left intact they could still trade him to somebody.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:12 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Well, you tell me, is Smoltz starting or not? If not, why trade for Kolb? Facts are, he's in the rotation. If you don't think the MLBPA looks at it this way, well, you and I will just have to disagree.

Well it seems we agree :-D

They're both in the same situation; the money isn't guaranteed. But like I said, they take it case by case and look at the possibility of having the clause triggered without voiding it.

And there have been talks about Sammy being traded with the clause still intact, and the Cubs eating $4.5M of his 2006 contract. I really don't think they want him back whatsoever and if the contract clause is left intact they could still trade him to somebody.

If they trade him with that clause intact, they better be prepared to eat a lot of money. Not only would he be obscenely overpaid for 2005 AND 2006, but there'd also be another, I believe, $4.5M buyout for 2007. I know they want him gone, but that's close to $40M for two years, and I doubt the team getting him will want to pay more than $5M/year. Who knows, maybe it happens.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers