Hudson to the Braves/Dodgers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hudson to the Braves/Dodgers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:17 pm

trevisc wrote:that 81.5 estimate is right on the money. According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution the braves have 82 million to work with this year.

I thought it was $80M. Either way, the extra $3M+ Smoltz could earn puts them well over $82M as well, and they still need a RF (or else move Chipper to LF, put Marte at 3B and move Marerro/Thomas to right).
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby trevisc » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:25 pm

Here's the article I read but you have to register at AJC.com to read it..

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/auto/ ... 20079.html

basically in one part of the article it says:

How did the Braves, with so little room in their projected $82 million payroll, get thrown into the Sosa circus? Because the Chicago Cubs reportedly would so like to rid themselves of their slugging (but shrinking) right-field distraction, they might be willing to eat a big part of the $17 million he's owed next season.

Still, for the Braves to make Sosa fit into their payroll, the Cubs would have to be willing to pay at least three-fourths of his salary in 2005, and perhaps the $4.5 million buyout of his $18 million option for 2006. Due to the salary considerations, Sosa to Atlanta seems unlikely.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:29 pm

Here's the article where it mentioned the $80M. Again, you have to register, but it appears you already have. :-)

http://www.ajc.com/wednesday/content/ep ... e0079.html
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby trevisc » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:47 pm

yeah..I read that one too. It was before they acquired Kolb so i'm sure they adjusted it a little. Anyway.. 80 or 82 million..either way they'll need to do something to get Hudson signed long term.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby TeamCaptain#2 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:28 pm

the yankees will never trade bernie williams.
TeamCaptain#2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:53 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
trevisc wrote:
kentx12 wrote:It wouldnt suprise me to see Andrew traded even before this season starts. I highly doubt he will be around to see his contract with Atlanta end.

I have to agree. And if the yankees can't land Beltran then I can see something like Bernie Williams and Brown for Andruw as long as the yanks eat up most of the salaries.

very possible but they better not be trading franceour if they move andruw...... cause with williams in cf that means franceour needs to be ready in 2006(if not the end of 2005).......

And just why would the Yanks do this? Bernie is gone after next year, so why would they eat all that money rather than just go sign an OF as a free agent in 06...so the can get AJ? Like he is that great a player worth not only paying Brown and Bernie but get stuck with AJ's contract...that is just plain insane.
No tto mention the PR hit the woul dtake from trading Bernie.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:54 pm

wrveres wrote:Well Andruw is signed for about 40 million over the next three seasons so he may not be as easy to move as you would like. The hard pill to swallow is going to be getting stuck with Mike Hamptons contract over the next few seasons.

It's going to be no different than it has been. They have been paying him $8M per season and have amortized his contract so they will be paying him $8M per season until he's gone.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:00 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:he has a $100k/start clause in his existing contract, which will pay him an additional $3M+ if he stays in the rotation all year, and as the players union has shown with ARod last year, a player can not renegotiate and give up guaranteed money.

I think the MLBPA said that if Sosa wants to void his guaranteed $18M contract that is triggered by a trade, they would allow that. I read that a while back, not sure if it's true :-?

I imagine they do it on a case by case basis, but I don't see them doing anything about Smoltz's clause. And if the Braves have a chance to get Hudson and it means they'll be $1M over budget I think the big boss will OK that trade seeing as though it improvs the team so much.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:22 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:he has a $100k/start clause in his existing contract, which will pay him an additional $3M+ if he stays in the rotation all year, and as the players union has shown with ARod last year, a player can not renegotiate and give up guaranteed money.

I think the MLBPA said that if Sosa wants to void his guaranteed $18M contract that is triggered by a trade, they would allow that. I read that a while back, not sure if it's true :-?

I imagine they do it on a case by case basis, but I don't see them doing anything about Smoltz's clause. And if the Braves have a chance to get Hudson and it means they'll be $1M over budget I think the big boss will OK that trade seeing as though it improvs the team so much.

That puts them $3M over, which AOL may still approve. But I've seen no signs they would do so based on the last few years.

And the MLBPA would permit Sosa to void the clause as he is not guaranteed the money. In other words, if the Cubs keep him, they pay him the 2005 salary and pay the 2006 buyout - no trade kicker and he's gone after 2005. Letting him void the clause allows him to get the same money he'd get, but for another team. As he's not giving up guaranteed money, the MLBPA would let him do it. Sosa is not losing money by having the trade kicker removed as he won't get that money anyway.

As for Smoltz, the Braves have talked about removing the clause. But this is a money clause and will cost Smoltz money if it is removed as he will start in 2005. As with ARod last year, the MLBPA won't permit him to remove the clause unless he gets something in return (i.e. won't allow the value of his contract to be reduced). Smoltz will get the money, so either they renegotiate the contract, or they go way over budget for 2005. I can't see the latter happening. This was the reason for the Millwood trade a few years ago - AOL will not permit the Braves to go much, if at all, over budget.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:11 pm

They will likely re-negotiate the contract with Smoltz, trading the per start payout for a contract extension through 2006.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers