ELO
No votes
Genesis
13%
U2
19%

Total votes : 16

Postby Tavish » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:38 pm

acsguitar wrote:I sold out long before you ever even heard my name i sold my soul to make a record and dip sh ** then you bought one

name that band

I was about to post the same lyrics. Pretty much any band that signs to a major label sells out in some way. The biggest sell out I can think of is Jimmy Paige. The first time I heard the P-Dildo cover of Kashmir I about vomitted. When my son asked me if I had heard the cool new song by Suck Daddy I grounded him.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:19 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Can't believe you left out Metallica. I still love 'em but they're one of the greatest sellouts of all time IMO. :-)

I woulda voted Metallica..but I chose Aerosmith...I like them not

I agree that I was looking for Metallica. When they lost their hair, they also lost their talent. :-°
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Jivedude » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:29 pm

What about Ozzy? The poor guy should be retired but that money grubbing atttention whore Sharon will probably wheeling him on stage when he's 80.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Zito is God » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:32 pm

Society has been confused of what actual selling out means for a long time. Changing your style in order to be succesful isn't selling out, its smart and intelligent, but society labelled this action as selling out. Metallica has been doig their same stuff for over 20 years, they decided to (in order to achieve success and try something new" ditch the fast complicated solos and adapt to the current music scene while trying something thats new to them, which in their mind is progress, and in turn accomplish success. People automatically labeled them as sellouts because they changed their style based on what the public wants in order to make money, thats not what happened, but 99% of the public knows nothing about the music industry or what its like to write music or be succesful. Every band wants to achieve success, thats the point, have fun and be succesful. In their day and age Metallica could care less about the money they would make considering they already are swimming in it, ask the casual fan the quesion of if not for money then why they would do this and he will be puzzled.

Lets look at Sum 41, after their first CD they switched up the style to a more alternative , less punkish sort of music. Result? Labelled as sellouts. All they did was progress their music into a diffrent stage, did something new, and were succesful with it, not sellouts.

Actual selling out happens quite rarely , when a band is forced by the manager to play music they typically don't like or even hate for the sole purpose of gaining money. Success does = money, but the intent is diffrent, money comes with success, thats just how it is.

You can take this comment anyway you like, but the fact is this is how it is. Selling Out is usually a term used as an excuse by low quality bands who can't "make it" or be succesful so they sit in their basements and pound their chest saying "we're not selling out and thats why we're not bieng called by producers or agents booking shows". No, its because you suck, not because you aren't selling out, and if you truly DO believe that then go ahead and make 1 song that "sells out" your style and see if it makes the charts, if it does then you can talk. Its like all those people who say Blink 182 is the worst band in the world, I tend to just roll my eyes at those people and move along because they obviously don't know what or how the music world is or works....but thats a diffrent conversation...

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:42 pm

Well your definition of selling out is simply different than most people's. Whatever you want to call, "changing your style to make more money", that's what the people here consider selling out. If you want to call it something else that's fine but it's still viewed with negative connotations.

So really everybody's right, we just have different definitions of the word.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:42 pm

LBJackal wrote: Whatever you want to call, "changing your style to make more money", that's what the people here consider selling out.

And as I have stated that happens very rarely.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:31 pm

Zito is God wrote:
LBJackal wrote: Whatever you want to call, "changing your style to make more money", that's what the people here consider selling out.

And as I have stated that happens very rarely.

Well you called it "Changing your style in order to be succesful" which is done to make more money. That's selling out IMO, and in many people's opinions. You can call it evolving, or whatever, but if you change your style to be more appealing to the masses, that's selling out in my books. Hell I'd do it too I'm not knocking any of them, but it's selling out.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:51 pm

IMO usually dumbing down to appeal to a common denominator in masses of people usually entails eliminating ingenuity, originality, and complexity.

As far as changing to make money being a positive thing I don't buy it. I have always been told to do the thing in business that you are passionate about and you will be a success. That doesn't necessarily mean money, it could be self-respect or fullfillment.

If someone said I want you to dress in a pink tutu and stand on the busiest corner in New York city with a sign that says "I'm gay, kick my ass!" for a million dollars. You do it, get your ass kicked repeatedly, but you get the million dollars. Would you coonsider yourself a success or a sellout? :-?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:49 am

wkelly91 wrote:IMO usually dumbing down to appeal to a common denominator in masses of people usually entails eliminating ingenuity, originality, and complexity.

As far as changing to make money being a positive thing I don't buy it. I have always been told to do the thing in business that you are passionate about and you will be a success. That doesn't necessarily mean money, it could be self-respect or fullfillment.

If someone said I want you to dress in a pink tutu and stand on the busiest corner in New York city with a sign that says "I'm gay, kick my ass!" for a million dollars. You do it, get your ass kicked repeatedly, but you get the million dollars. Would you coonsider yourself a success or a sellout? :-?

I'd be a rich sellout. That's successful IMO :-D

People get the wrong idea about selling out... everybody wants money. Why idolize people who do things that don't earn them more money? Ah well, doesn't matter to me either way, good music is good music.

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:27 am

Oh I'd probably sell out too. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk