No votes
Genesis
13%
U2
19%

Total votes : 16

Rock n Roll sellouts?

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:37 pm

There are many celebrities who sell out to commercial success. In Rock n Roll there has been this resistence to selling out, remaining true to the bad boy origins of Rocks origins.

With all this talk of Rock and those who died young, I began to think about those that have hung around and how their music has changed. Some sell out by changing their style of music to a more commercially viable sound. Others sell out by appearing in commercials, TV shows, and movies.

Rod Stewart- Used to be with the Faces and really rocked. But poor Rod has traded in the Rock and Roll image for tuxedoes and the "Standards" Makes me sick.

Elton John- Started off as a singer/song writer, hit his peak as a glam rocker. But poor Elton jumped the sharktank around the time he sang "Philidelphia Freedom" and now makes a living singing for Disney films....sad.

Aerosmith- They were incredible early on, I love "Toys in the attic". Then they sobered up and began doing rap videoes and singing in every overblow crappy disaster film starring Ben Affleck.

ELO- Very experimental early on, "Eldorado" was a classic. Then somehow they were abducted by Aliens on this UFO and began singing for money. Yuck.

Genesis- Also experimental. Then horrors Phil Collins takes over and transforms the band into a hideous beast of commercial schlock. "Su...su...sudia" Barf.

U2- Once a band of social conscience. Now it seems they will sing about anything to stay relevant.

Anyone else have a favorite sellout?
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:48 pm

Can't believe you left out Metallica. I still love 'em but they're one of the greatest sellouts of all time IMO. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:05 am

Any older group that tries to hang on and stay relevant today. I hate it when groups do that. It makes the good stuff they wrote when they were in their prime seem crappier if that makes sense. :-P
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:12 am

I am not that familiar with Metallica...
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:16 am

Amazinz wrote:Can't believe you left out Metallica. I still love 'em but they're one of the greatest sellouts of all time IMO. :-)

I woulda voted Metallica..but I chose Aerosmith...I like them not
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:45 am

wasn't U2 against downloading music and mp3s...or something like that. and now ther make commercials for ipod :-P not a U2 fan though.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 213)

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:51 am

Mixing Art and Money is like oil and water.

The bands you listed sold out over the course of time. This could be because their tastes had mellowed or changed as they got older. The fresh ideas of youth have evolved into a more mainstream line of thinking.
It also has to do with "paying your dues" for so long that you finally decide you deserve to make some real money. I have no problem with selling a product and making money off it. If tons of people buy it and find it entertaining more power to you.

KISS is the ultimate sell out band. Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter have been selling out since day 1 and never pretended not to. They also happen to be a long time favorite of mine. See sig.
See I don't care if they are. Their music if fun and the early stuff really rocks. When I was younger I even had a KISS lunchbox. They sell everthing they can put their name or image on. It kinda cracks me up. Hands Down The Biggest Sell Out Band Ever!
Sell outs or not I still catch them every tour and play/hear "Rock -n- Roll All Night" every New Years at the stroke of midnight.

I suggest adding them to your poll.

BTW, I just bought tickets to a Rod Stewart concert. I've never seen him before. I figure it's a good date concert. I haven't really liked anything from him since He and Jeff Beck did "People Get Ready".

Aerosmith salvaged some respectabilty with the release of "Harpin' on Bobo". However, most of their own songs are all starting sound the same to me.

U2 still sounds like almost no other band. I love Beautiful Day, of the recent stuff. Vertigo is listenable and entertaining.

There is no funnier image than Elton John running around on stage with a Donald Duck suit on. Guess he always had a thing about Disney.

ELO was always entertaining to me. Sort of unique with the string section

My vote goes to Genesis. Phil Collins ruined a once interesting band.
I always prefered Peter Gabriel over Genesis, though his career went pop too. Gabriel did manage to put out some tasteful integrical tunes, sans Shock the Monkey.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:53 am

I voted Aerosmith... and yeah U2 has a special edition iPod out. They're against stealing music I think, not against paying to download it. If you buy their iPod you get a $50 coupon for their new boxed set which leads me to believe it costs hundreds of dollars if your coupon is for 50!

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:42 am

I sold out long before you ever even heard my name i sold my soul to make a record and dip sh ** then you bought one

name that band
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:40 am

Fireball Express wrote:KISS is the ultimate sell out band. Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter have been selling out since day 1 and never pretended not to. They also happen to be a long time favorite of mine. See sig.
See I don't care if they are. Their music if fun and the early stuff really rocks. When I was younger I even had a KISS lunchbox. They sell everthing they can put their name or image on. It kinda cracks me up. Hands Down The Biggest Sell Out Band Ever!
Sell outs or not I still catch them every tour and play/hear "Rock -n- Roll All Night" every New Years at the stroke of midnight.

I did not include Kiss because I wanted groups or individuals who once were respectale rockers and now sell their name, image, soul for money. They lost their original vision if you will. Kiss has always been about marketing from the beginning so thats why I left them off.

It's really a brilliant concept creating cartoon characters off themselves by selling the make up image. These guys could rock till their 90 and with all that makeup noone would notice (maybe the Stones should consider this?).

It reminds me of the movie "Princess Bride" when Wesley explains the Dread Pirate Roberts franchise and how it's handed down. KISS could do the same thing and no one would know? lol
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk