Don't kill me, just explain. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Don't kill me, just explain.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:51 pm

matmat wrote:there is actually something physically wrong with Brown (i.e. he's old and he's injury prone. and yes, he deserves that tag.)

Injury prone? I beg to differ.
He had 12 season of a minimum of 25 starts prior to 2001 (minimum 170 IP). Looking at his career numbers, it appears the only time he was injured and missed significant time is 2001 - 2002. No way should he be considered "injury prone" unless you are only counting the last 4 years of a 15yr career in the bigs.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby matmat » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:29 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote: No way should he be considered "injury prone" unless you are only counting the last 4 years of a 15yr career in the bigs.

err... ok. let me think. when I eveluate the injury risk for a player for the upcoming year, do I look at the first 11 years of his career or the last 4?
hmmm... tough one....
back spasms, reconstructed elbow (right?), proclivity toward punching walls (:)).
Maybe injury prone is the wrong term, maybe injury risk is better?
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:38 pm

matmat wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote: No way should he be considered "injury prone" unless you are only counting the last 4 years of a 15yr career in the bigs.

err... ok. let me think. when I eveluate the injury risk for a player for the upcoming year, do I look at the first 11 years of his career or the last 4?
hmmm... tough one....
back spasms, reconstructed elbow (right?), proclivity toward punching walls (:)).
Maybe injury prone is the wrong term, maybe injury risk is better?

After his reconstructed elbow surgery he pitched 211 innings of sub 3 ERA (2.39 8-o )- that leads to the conclusion the surgery was a success. The hand/wall incident was a fluke occurance of course. That leaves his back spasms as his major injury issue. Sounds like a reasonable risk to me - especially with where his pricetag will be after so many people want to write him off again. How many pitchers in the bigs have back spasms?

Honestly, I shouldnt be arguing too much about this - I should just let his pricetag continue to drop. :-?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pacman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:54 pm

matmat wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Pacman wrote:The problem with Kevin Brown is, once September rolls around, he tends to hit a wall. :-b

The same thing could have been said about the Red Sox, and now look at them. :-b

different things, no?

there is actually something physically wrong with Brown (i.e. he's old and he's injury prone. and yes, he deserves that tag.)

I'm just making sure everybody realized... I was making a joke there:

:*)

Hit.....? Wall....? Kevin Brown.....?

Anybody.....? Bueller....?
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:59 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
blankman wrote:I for one, think Brown should stay. Nothing is gained by paying a talented pitcher like him to play for someone else.

I agree, and that's the only way another team would take him is if the Yankees ate most of his contract. He's not a bad pitcher if he's healthy I don't think, as he proved at the start of the year last year.

You mean when he opened the season with 3 straight starts against the D-Rays?? ;-7
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby blankman » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:59 am

Lofunzo wrote:
blankman wrote:I for one, think Brown should stay. Nothing is gained by paying a talented pitcher like him to play for someone else.

I agree, and that's the only way another team would take him is if the Yankees ate most of his contract. He's not a bad pitcher if he's healthy I don't think, as he proved at the start of the year last year.

You mean when he opened the season with 3 straight starts against the D-Rays?? ;-7

Be careful of what you say about the Devil Rays. They are the laughing stock of baseball no more.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:10 am

the D-Rays have some serious talent and very very young to boot. The only problem is they can't keep them once they are stars
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:22 am

blankman wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

Be careful of what you say about the Devil Rays. They are the laughing stock of baseball no more.

They aren't as bad as they were but they are still bad. Just because they improved during the season doesn't mean that they were good when Brown pitched against them. Are they improving?? Yes but they are still below average. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers