Don't kill me, just explain. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Don't kill me, just explain.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:58 am

All I know is that I love all the Brown haters out there. Please - keep telling us how old he is, how terrible he is for team chemistry, how he always gets injured, how he lost velocity, hell - you can even make stuff up for all I care - just as long as you continue to drop his price tag. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:23 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:i would have no problem with brown on the braves for oh about 2 million a year salary..... a rotation of smoltz, brown, ramirez, hampton and a low end FA is not a bad rotation with mazzone in the dugout coaching them along....... it is definitely better than what the braves have had the last 2 years or so.....

I concur!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Super GM » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:43 pm

They're talking about bringing Kevin Millwood back. I'm not sure if I'd rather have Paul Byrd or Kevin Millwood.....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby trevisc » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:52 pm

yeah..i read that too but sources said it was a 1 year deal for 5 million. I don't think he's gonna take THAT big of a paycut
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby matmat » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:31 pm

Zito is God wrote:I am a fan of (in order):

1.Indians
2. Padres
3.Yankees
4.A's

;-D

impossible. you need to be roasted on a nice warm fire.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:52 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:i would have no problem with brown on the braves for oh about 2 million a year salary..... a rotation of smoltz, brown, ramirez, hampton and a low end FA is not a bad rotation with mazzone in the dugout coaching them along....... it is definitely better than what the braves have had the last 2 years or so.....

You're forgetting Thomson - who's a heck of a lot better than Hampton at this point, as well as younger and cheaper and with a $4M contract this year.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Pacman » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:20 pm

The problem with Kevin Brown is, once September rolls around, he tends to hit a wall. :-b
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:36 pm

Pacman wrote:The problem with Kevin Brown is, once September rolls around, he tends to hit a wall. :-b

The same thing could have been said about the Red Sox, and now look at them. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby matmat » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:41 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Pacman wrote:The problem with Kevin Brown is, once September rolls around, he tends to hit a wall. :-b

The same thing could have been said about the Red Sox, and now look at them. :-b

different things, no?

there is actually something physically wrong with Brown (i.e. he's old and he's injury prone. and yes, he deserves that tag.)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby lesgrant » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:46 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I do not know why they did not go after David Wells on an ncentive-laden 1 year deal early and get him locked away. Rather have had him as a lefty over Milton anyday. Only thing I can think of is the general dislike between Torre and now George and Wells. If they could not stomach another round of Wels, why not Odalis Perez? ANother guy that would make me nervous, but a damn sight better than Milton.

I’m not sure why you would favor Wells and want to crucify Brown. If you recall in ’03:

Wells blew off training sessions in August.

Wells slumped down the stretch because he didn’t attend workouts.

Wells’ back broke down before game 5 in the WS (due to poor conditioning) and David, the team guy that he is, kept it to himself. If you remember, it put Torre in a serious bind and the Yanks lost the pivotal game and the series as well. Torre’s words were something along the lines of, ‘If only he had told me ahead of time, I could have done something.’

That off-season, during negotiations, the Yankees wanted Wells to commit to attending all mandatory training sessions. He refused, thus ending negotiations for his return.

So, how do you favor Wells over Brown? In Brown’s case it was his temper that got the best of him. In Wells’ case, he intentionally slacked off. In Brown’s case, you can say that the hand contributed to losing the ALCS, but with Wells, his laziness and Dennis Rodman attitude towards the team was a central factor in that WS loss.

Steinbrenner is the type of guy who, if he likes you as a person (not as a ballplayer or manager, but a human being), he’ll be in your corner through thick and thin. Look at Strawberry and Gooden. Wells fell from being the only person George ever personally called to tell him that he was being traded to being untouchable. That takes some work.

I don’t want any part of David Wells. I’ll take Brown any day, even the day he broke his hand.

In terms of Perez, way too many homers. And Milton, well, that would really bum me out.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers