Don't kill me, just explain. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Don't kill me, just explain.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:37 am

I for one hope Brown enjoys Atlana and does not let the door hit him on the way out.

I can't realistically see anyone taking Brown's contract unless we pay 14 M of it and then what is the point? What is Atlanta going to give up, some mediocre A ball prospect? They certainly are not going to give up anything of value and if it is only for a million or 2 of savings why bother. Stick Brown in as the long man in the pen and emergency starter. He wil have plenty of time to contemplate hitting walls then and will get a teay stream of serenades from the fans in the LF bleachers.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:26 am

TheYanks04 wrote:I for one hope Brown enjoys Atlana and does not let the door hit him on the way out.

I can't realistically see anyone taking Brown's contract unless we pay 14 M of it and then what is the point? What is Atlanta going to give up, some mediocre A ball prospect? They certainly are not going to give up anything of value and if it is only for a million or 2 of savings why bother. Stick Brown in as the long man in the pen and emergency starter. He wil have plenty of time to contemplate hitting walls then and will get a teay stream of serenades from the fans in the LF bleachers.

I would take Kevin Brown back in San Diego in a heart beat ...
But I doubt he would ever come here again.
I think the press and the fans pretty much blew any chance of that happening .... :-t

But just out of curiosity Yanks04 ...
You would like to see the yankds get rid of Vaz,
You would like to see the yankds get rid of Brown ..
I would imagine you are not a fan of Wright or Milton ..
Just whom do you propose that Yanks use in their starting rotation?
Sorry if you have said this before and I missed it ...
but I am just curious ..
thanks
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:55 am

I like the Pavano signing even if it does make me a bit nervous.

I would have picked up the option on Lieber.

I would ideally like to see RJ, but who knows if the D'backs will trade him and come down to reality in price.

Or if the Yanks were willing to fork over that type of cash, why not Vaz and a lot of cash and maybe a prospect like Cano to the A's for Hudson (assuming you can get a contract extension out of Hudson in the deal)?

I do not know why they did not go after David Wells on an ncentive-laden 1 year deal early and get him locked away. Rather have had him as a lefty over Milton anyday. Only thing I can think of is the general dislike between Torre and now George and Wells. If they could not stomach another round of Wels, why not Odalis Perez? ANother guy that would make me nervous, but a damn sight better than Milton.

I would be re-signing El Duque for insurance, but Cashman has just made a comment that that is very unlikely.

Unfortuantely they screwed up on Lieber, which IMO led to Wright. They want a lefty, so Milton enters the picture apparently instead of someone like Wells or Odalis Perez.
Frankly, I do not understand what Casshman is doing as Wright is a very risky pickup and Milton just blows (if that deal pans out).

They have backed themselves into a Wright and Milton situation. I do not think Brown is going anywhere or will be effective in NY at this point for a lot of reasons from his back to his lost velocity to his general stupidity to the fact that he is now utterly despised by the fans here. Maybe he can bounce back and stay healthy, but I think it is highly unlikely and not something a contender can stake its hopes on. I think they also have no choice but to keep Vaz unless they can swing a deal unvolving him for another SP.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Super GM » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:51 am

trevisc wrote:
tlef316 wrote:
trevisc wrote:the problem with Brown is not his ability but he's a mental nut case. did you forget about his blow up that kept him out for a few weeks this past year?

I hope they don't trade him to Atlanta!

i honestly think he feels terrible about that. i think he'll re-dedicate himself and come out of the blocks on fire this year. I cant see how you wouldnt want your braves to have him, since we'd likely be paying most of his salary.

What is the braves rotation for next year? its gonna be ugly down in atlanta unless im forgetting some one

I admit..if the yanks will suck up his salary then I guess I wouldn't mind seeing him pitch for us. I have no idea what the Braves are gonna do about the rotation. For crying out loud our ace is HAMPTON now!!

AGHHH

No trevisc, Hampton WAS our ace. Since yesterday Smoltz IS our ace! I'm still not so sure what to think of that deal....I'm sure Schuerholz has his reasons though. Now all we need to do is find a decent right fielder (maybe Maggs). As for Brown being a Brave......why not?! He can't be worse than Russ Ortiz at the end of this season......
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kentx12 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:51 am

trevisc wrote:the problem with Brown is not his ability but he's a mental nut case. did you forget about his blow up that kept him out for a few weeks this past year?

I hope they don't trade him to Atlanta!

I disagree. I hope he does go to Atlanta. Why would you as a Braves fan not want a great pitcher that you have to give up very little for and would hardly be paying any of his salary?
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby rlee » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:31 am

I think the Yankees are having difficulty trading Brown because he carries SO MUCH baggage with him:
1. He does nothing to add to team chemistry, to say the least
2. He winds up on the DL virtually every season
3. $15 million in salary
4. He's 35 years old
5. ETC (his private plane)

So even if the Yankees wind up paying much of his salary, there enough ??? to make other teams shy away
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby wrveres » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:39 am

Kevin Brown will be 40 next season..
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby rlee » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:43 am

Sorry, I miscounted (forgot to take my shoes off) :-b
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:50 am

i would have no problem with brown on the braves for oh about 2 million a year salary..... a rotation of smoltz, brown, ramirez, hampton and a low end FA is not a bad rotation with mazzone in the dugout coaching them along....... it is definitely better than what the braves have had the last 2 years or so.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:32 pm

Brown could also develop nice chemistry with the Braves because of his sinker-power and the Baraves Infield bieng quite good.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers