Minors/prospects? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Minors/prospects?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Minors/prospects?

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:22 pm

I haven't really followed the farm system that much and so I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I've read here and elsewhere that it's not one of the better ones in baseball, which kinda worries me a little since we're having to fill so many spots with free agency. Is that Walt's philosophy? The anti-A's/Twins? Is there much talent ready to make an impact to take the places of guys who could possibly walk after '05 (Edmonds, Walker, etc). Is what's been up in the majors for a while pretty much it? I'm talking Haren, Ankiel, Molina, etc. Is that all we really have to look forward to for the next 2-3 years? :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:10 am

While I've never analyzed our farm system, it is my understanding that it sucks save for a few decent pitching prospects. It's been that way for years, though, and everyone's been preaching doom and gloom about it the whole time. Apparently, Walt knows how to manage a team w/out minor-leaguers.

Let's face it: We're not a big market team. If we're going to pay some of the salaries we do, we have to give something up. In our case, Walt has chosen to not focus on the minors. Can't say I care too much. Those guys don't play for the Cardinals everyday.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:12 am

Yeah that's the impression I've been left with reading stuff here and elsewhere. So far it doesn't appeared to have hurt us any. ;-D I just figured since STL is still a relatively small market team that the farm system would be better than it is, but I guess only a few teams have really good ones anyway. :-?
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:51 am

the farm system isnt great but is definitely improving. cards hired former brewers minor league coordinator (not sure of the title) and also hired some stat guy to help with drafting. part of the reason it sucked in the past is because the cards werent shy about trading unproven prospects for veterans. also, they would lose first and sometimes second round picks due to signing free agents. they are now making an effort to get more production from the farm system. the system is pretty top heavy right now. there are a couple legit prospects but not a whole lot of depth.

right now the top prospects are primarily pitchers. the top pitcher is anthony reyes. he was once thought of as a first rounder and potential number one draft pick (thought to be better than prior as a freshman when they were teammates at USC) but suffered from tendonitis. his velocity dropped and so did his value. we nabbed him in the 15th round. however, his velocity has returned and he is looking like a potential #2 starter. good fastball with movement and had a very nice strikeout rate at AA last year. i am pretty excited about this kid but he needs to stay healthy.

daric barton is about our only legit position prospect. he is currently a catcher but there is some question as to whether he can field that position in the majors. his bat will find him a job somewhere. he is putting up great numbers and was just 19 last year. looks like a pretty good bet to be a middle of the order hitter at his peak.

you can read about the rest here:
http://thecardinalnation.com/top25.html
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:05 pm

Good stuff jd as always. ;-D Thanks for the link. :-)
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to St. Louis Cardinals