Lawton to Pirates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lawton to Pirates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:47 am

LBJackal wrote:That's only if you sign them as a FA I think... not sure about that though.

ahh you know what ...

You may be right. My bad .
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Lawton to Pirates

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:43 am

swarmee wrote:An owner in my league (NL, 4x4, $260 for 23) has Lawton now at $21 for next season, since he originally had Kendall at $21. Anyone think I should trade for him, since he's a power threat and will be batting leadoff?

As he's a 20-20 threat, and a batting average that shouldn't hurt you, I'd say yes as I'd think he'll be worth between $20-25 next year. I guess it would depend on who you'd have to give up. It's close, though, as I'm not sure how strong the Pit line-up is.

BTW, I'm a little confused about how Lawton gets traded for Rhodes, yet a Kendall owner gets him. I guess as Rhodes was part of the Kendall deal?
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby trevisc » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:49 am

if he's worth 20-25 then why pay market value for him now? I say pass on getting Lawton for now. You usually want to target a guy at 75-80% of what you think he'll be worth unless he's a super star.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby rlee » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:35 am

I think this trade gives the Indians options ... ;-D Boone at third and Blake can play LF or 2B. If they decide to re-sign Belliard, he also can play 2B and install Blake in LF
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby swarmee » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:22 pm

trevisc wrote:if he's worth 20-25 then why pay market value for him now? I say pass on getting Lawton for now. You usually want to target a guy at 75-80% of what you think he'll be worth unless he's a super star.

Well, my league has some serious inflation, due to contracts, so getting a player at even value coming into the auction is generally a great bargain. (Some of the steals coming into this year at Pujols at 21, as well as Jose Reyes, Marcus Giles, Dontrelle Willis, and others as reserve keepers with no salary entering 2005.)
So since $20 seems like the going rate for that type of player, I will probably target him.

And as to the other question concerning Kendall, the owner originally got both Redman and Rhodes at $21 to replace losing Kendall, and then got Lawton for $21 in place of Rhodes.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:06 am

trevisc wrote:if he's worth 20-25 then why pay market value for him now? I say pass on getting Lawton for now. You usually want to target a guy at 75-80% of what you think he'll be worth unless he's a super star.

In my 12 team AL keeper league, the formula I use for determining whether to keep a player generally holds that if you have a $20+ player at a price app. equal his projected value, he's a keeper as, due to inflation, he won't come cheaper in the draft. In my league, you rarely, if ever, get a player projected to give you a value of $20 or greater at 100%, if not more, due to inflation. The only times it occurs is when you're the only one who projects the $20+ value. And if you're correct, you now have a keeper.

If you play in keeper leagues where you can get players like Vlad at 75% of projected value, more power to you. I don't, so I have to try and get to $333 projected value ($260 cap and 78%) through a variety of means. One of them is keeping a $20+ fairly priced player as I doubt I'll get him (or players like him) for cheaper and as I doubt every one of my low-priced gambles will work.

And to swarmee - interesting. We have an in-season salary cap, so you only get one player coming back. I would have taken Redman, not Rhodes. I guess in the off-season it doesn't matter.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:08 am

Zito is God wrote:I don't know if I like the move from our side (Indians fan). Rhodes is shaky, and has a hefty contract. as far as I remmember Lawton had a monster contract and if thats true the trade is good, otherwise, I would have stayed away from giving up your only sure-power hitter besides Hafner.

Power hitter?? With the juiced ball, juiced players, and little league fields, he has hit 20 HR twice in his career.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby swarmee » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:05 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:And to swarmee - interesting. We have an in-season salary cap, so you only get one player coming back. I would have taken Redman, not Rhodes. I guess in the off-season it doesn't matter.

Well, our league allows you to take as many players back at the traded player's salary if you have room on the roster to put them somewhere. Mostly the extras are cut, since they hold no real value as dollar keepers for the future. The guy had already lost some free agents to the AL, so he had room to keep them both at 21 until the cut list is due later this month.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers