Lawton to Pirates - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lawton to Pirates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lawton to Pirates

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:31 pm

For Arthur Rhodes per WFAN radio. No link yet.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby perlick29 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:52 pm

Good move, now the tribe finally gets their outfield settled with Ludwick Crisp and Sizemore. Plus they get a potential closer to boot.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:57 pm

Win Win for both clubs. The tribe gets to play their young talent and now the pirates get a decent leadoff hitter and a reason NOT to play tike redman.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:00 pm

perlick29 wrote:Good move, now the tribe finally gets their outfield settled with Ludwick Crisp and Sizemore. Plus they get a potential closer to boot.

Didn't they sign Wickman? So I guess Rhodes will set up.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:00 pm

i dunno. i don't really think it's a great move by the indians. yes, they do get to play their prospects now with lawton gone, but lawton was pretty decent for them last season and trading him for rhodes...they could have done better i think. it's a good move for the pirates though.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby perlick29 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:03 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:i dunno. i don't really think it's a great move by the indians. yes, they do get to play their prospects now with lawton gone, but lawton was pretty decent for them last season and trading him for rhodes...they could have done better i think. it's a good move for the pirates though.

I dont think anybody lost in this deal, Rhodes is way better than he was last year. Even he sets up, thats fine he's a great setup man for a buillpen that sure as hell needs him.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby El Gaupo » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:04 pm

perlick29 wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:i dunno. i don't really think it's a great move by the indians. yes, they do get to play their prospects now with lawton gone, but lawton was pretty decent for them last season and trading him for rhodes...they could have done better i think. it's a good move for the pirates though.

I dont think anybody lost in this deal, Rhodes is way better than he was last year. Even he sets up, thats fine he's a great setup man for a buillpen that sure as hell needs him.

What I was thinking..except i see him closing.
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:33 pm

Heres the link:

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Saturday, December 11, 2004

News
The Pirates acquired outfielder Matt Lawton from the Indians in exchange for left-handed reliever Arthur Rhodes in the first trade of baseball's winter meetings on Saturday. For Rhodes, it was the second time he's been traded in the past two weeks. He was sent to Pittsburgh by the A's as part of the deal for Jason Kendall on November 27. Lawton batted .270 with 20 home runs, 23 stolen bases, and 70 RBI in 150 games for the Tribe in 2004.

Views
Rhodes will serve as the Indians' setup man for closer Bob Wickman. Lawton will be used as a leadoff hitter in Pittsburgh and play one of the two corner outfield spots, replacing Kendall. His presence likely moves Jason Bay to center field and lands Tike Redman on the bench. Daryle Ward, Craig Wilson, and Rob Mackowiak will also see time at a corner outfield spot unless a rumored trade involving Wilson goes down.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Zito is God » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:35 pm

I don't know if I like the move from our side (Indians fan). Rhodes is shaky, and has a hefty contract. as far as I remmember Lawton had a monster contract and if thats true the trade is good, otherwise, I would have stayed away from giving up your only sure-power hitter besides Hafner.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:42 pm

Let's just hope they don't put him in at closer. We saw how good this guy actually is last year. He'll be a lefty setup man and that's all he ever should have been. I'd put Wickman, Betancourt, and probably Riske in at closer before I even started thinking about giving Rhodes a significant role.

I wonder how many people who think Rhodes is good have taken a peek at his career stats and realized he's had 2 or 3 good seasons out of his 14 year career.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers