Adrian Beltre to the Mariners? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adrian Beltre to the Mariners?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Adrian Beltre to the Mariners?

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:46 pm

The Mariners are believed to have made Adrian Beltre a significant contract offer, according to the Seattle Times
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:47 pm

I saw that too but I just don't see him going there unless it's a fat, fat contract.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:48 pm

What would this do to his value? Man would than be crazy if he went there. He must not want to win that bad!
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:12 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:What would this do to his value? Man would than be crazy if he went there. He must not want to win that bad!

Im pretty sure at this point, after the season he had, it is all about the bling bling. He is young enough to go to a contender after this next contract. If I were him Id go to whatever team offered me the most money. Thats what you do when you are a 25 yo FA who just led the majors in HRs playing in a supposed pitchers park.

All along the Dodgers considered SEA to be their real competition to sign Beltre.

If I had to guess, I bet he stays in LA.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:15 pm

Read this morning the Dodgers GM is real interested in signing Koskie to play third and then make a move to try and land Hudson and sign him to a long term deal.
killiansjmd
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:38 pm

killiansjmd wrote:Read this morning the Dodgers GM is real interested in signing Koskie to play third and then make a move to try and land Hudson and sign him to a long term deal.

That would be tremendous if they could pull it off.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby San D » Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:35 pm

I think it helps his value. Seattle is supposedly death to right handed power hitters, but LA is tough also. He'd get more runs and RBI's by playing in the AL and having Ichiro in front of him versus Cesar Izturis and whoever else the Dodgers have been putting at the top of the order.

I haven't thought of a projection for him yet, but I figure his HR's fall to the late 30's anyway, but now his runs and RBI's increase a little. His batting average may take a bit of a hit with the league switch but not too badly.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:07 pm

San D wrote:I think it helps his value. Seattle is supposedly death to right handed power hitters, but LA is tough also. He'd get more runs and RBI's by playing in the AL and having Ichiro in front of him versus Cesar Izturis and whoever else the Dodgers have been putting at the top of the order.

I haven't thought of a projection for him yet, but I figure his HR's fall to the late 30's anyway, but now his runs and RBI's increase a little. His batting average may take a bit of a hit with the league switch but not too badly.

He is such a tough one to predict. Last season could have been a fluke and he could be the next Brady Anderson.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Area51's » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:25 pm

A few random thoughts on Beltre.
1. Dodger stadium doesn't really cut down on home runs as much as it does batting average and doubles and triples, and run production. The dodgers OFFENSE does cut way down on a good players RBI's tho! Right handed pull hitters can put up some decent HR totals there the way the park is shaped, and Beltre took advantage of it a great deal last year. A lot of hits that would have been doubles to left field in any other park actually were HR's.
I don't dare to predict what he might do at safeco until I see that lineup, but it is definitely a tougher HR park than dodger stadium.

2. The dudes power is legit. I'm not sure how (roids, ahem?) I don't know, really, 2.5 years to recover from a botched surgery? I don't know. BUT I'll tell you this. He was the only guy I saw at Petco that could consistently knock the ball WELL out of the park. Sure some of that is BP, but power-wise, I don't think its a fluke. It makes me a little mad because of the timing of his breakout season, and how long the Dodgers stuck with him.

3. Predictability-wise; the guy just scares me. As legit as the power is, I would worry greatly about the guy signing a huge contract (which he will) and production tailing off into a middle-of-the-road status beween last year, and previous years...say 30-100-.290. Not bad, but I'll probably let someone else in my leagues take a chance on him as I grab a more predictable asset. If they're right then great...hats off.
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rlee » Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:27 pm

It's not like Boras to let his clients sign so early in the FA
process :-? He like to hold them out and squeeze every nickel out of the market :-o
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers