what do the Astro's need to win the division in the 05 seaso - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Houston Astros

what do the Astro's need to win the division in the 05 seaso

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what do the Astro's need to win the division in the 05 seaso

Postby gpspartans » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:37 am

what do the Astro's need to win the division in the 05 season? 8-o
gpspartans
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:09 pm

If I were HOU, I would want to try to get another solid OF to replace Beltran and Berkman since he's going to be questionable at least at the start of the year. I think Maggs would be a good fit, but I don't see that happening. There is a kid in the minors ready to take over 2B isn't there? Or am I thinking of someone else? If not, they need to get a good 2B to replace Kent of course. Other than that maybe pick up a bench guy who is a Chone Figgins type who can play multiple positions well since there is so much uncertainty at this point. Oh and hope Clemens comes back and Pettite's elbow is back to what it was with the Yankees. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby slomo007 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:44 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:If I were HOU, I would want to try to get another solid OF to replace Beltran and Berkman since he's going to be questionable at least at the start of the year. I think Maggs would be a good fit, but I don't see that happening. There is a kid in the minors ready to take over 2B isn't there? Or am I thinking of someone else? If not, they need to get a good 2B to replace Kent of course. Other than that maybe pick up a bench guy who is a Chone Figgins type who can play multiple positions well since there is so much uncertainty at this point. Oh and hope Clemens comes back and Pettite's elbow is back to what it was with the Yankees. ;-D

You are thinking about Burke, the second base prospect. And yeah he should be ready and will be given a shot.

I think they need to find out if Ensberg is for real or not...if he's not, just make the decision and trade him and bring in a good 3b. They have the bench role player Figgins type already....Vizcaino. Everett at SS, Burke at 2B, ??? at 3B, Bags at 1B. Their infield isn't great, but it's good enough to win with the pitching staff they have, if they can stay healthy.

Their season will come down to whether or not Wade Miller and Roy Oswalt can stay healthy. I would also HIGHLY suggest investing in a quality setup man. Lidge can't handle the load by himself for a whole season IMO.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:55 pm

I didn't think Vizcaino was that good really? I don't see the Astros as much as I'd like to, so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. :-°

I think if he could learn to be a decent fielder Lamb could get a look at 3B. Fielding is the only thing that's keeping him from getting significant PT isn't it?

And true, then do need a good setup man. I wonder if OAK is looking to deal Dotel? :-? :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby slomo007 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:00 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I didn't think Vizcaino was that good really? I don't see the Astros as much as I'd like to, so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. :-°

I think if he could learn to be a decent fielder Lamb could get a look at 3B. Fielding is the only thing that's keeping him from getting significant PT isn't it?

And true, then do need a good setup man. I wonder if OAK is looking to deal Dotel? :-? :-D

Vizcaino is a fan favorite and he fills the sub role perfectly. He had a great season (particularly post season) last year, so the city is in love with him.

I don't know much about Lamb...I always thought it was Ensberg's defense that is the big question mark...and Lamb is the one that they use for defensive purposes. Ensberg hasn't really been given a fair shot IMO...he is always in and out of the lineup, that would be hard on anyone. I think they either need to give him a shot or trade him and bring in someone who they do believe in.

Dotel coming back to Houston would be quite the story...lol.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby crapshooter » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:08 am

The Astros have to find another outfielder. There is no way you go into the season with Orlando Palmerio penciled in as a starter!
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:05 am

Things have gotten a little gloomy for Stros fans since this thread was started. What do they need? Health. Specifically in their SP. Oswalt, Clemens and Pettite need to take the mound every 5 starts. Bagwell needs to come up with another season of the old Bagwell and Berkman needs to be back in uniform as soon as possible.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby crapshooter » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:12 pm

I'm still trying to convince myself that they really didn't keep Wade Miller especially when I see the salary that the Red Sox have him.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Houston Astros