Yahoo Positional eligibility - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Positional eligibility

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo Positional eligibility

Postby Gandalf » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:59 am

OK I've read their rules and stuff, but can anyone point me to the correct answer to these situations:

A player enters 2004 with eligibility at 2B and 3B
He gets injured and plays only 6 games all year.
First game at SS (a new position), then 2 games at 2B and 3 at 3rd.
Where will he be eligible in 2005?

I think A. Boone was eligible at 2B and 3B.
Didn't play at all in 2004.
Where will he be eligible?

Answers are good. A link with answers to these priceless.

Thank you
Gandalf Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:41 am

At the beginning of the Fantasy Baseball season, Yahoo! Sports placed all players into positions based on information from official rosters. Some players appear in multiple position lists and are eligible to fill any of those positions.

If a position player makes 15 appearances at a new position during the season, he will become eligible to play that position in Fantasy Baseball PLUS.

Pitchers need to make three starts to become eligible as a starter, and five relief appearances to qualify as a reliever.

Please note that players may not be eligible for all of the positions that are displayed on their Yahoo! Sports player profile.

Players will not lose eligibility at a previously established position at any time. (For example, Alex Rodriguez will retain his eligibility at the SS position for the 2004 season.)

according to yahoo he will be listed as whatever his team lists him at on their new roster. We probably won't know for sure until February 18th or so when Yahoo comes up
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby dleoboyd » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:56 pm

trevisc wrote:At the beginning of the Fantasy Baseball season, Yahoo! Sports placed all players into positions based on information from official rosters. Some players appear in multiple position lists and are eligible to fill any of those positions.

If a position player makes 15 appearances at a new position during the season, he will become eligible to play that position in Fantasy Baseball PLUS.

Pitchers need to make three starts to become eligible as a starter, and five relief appearances to qualify as a reliever.

Please note that players may not be eligible for all of the positions that are displayed on their Yahoo! Sports player profile.

Players will not lose eligibility at a previously established position at any time. (For example, Alex Rodriguez will retain his eligibility at the SS position for the 2004 season.)

according to yahoo he will be listed as whatever his team lists him at on their new roster. We probably won't know for sure until February 18th or so when Yahoo comes up

Are you sure about that? I thought that guys only qualified at a position they had played 15 or more games at, during the previous or current season. For example, the Mets had Kaz Matsui all set to play SS and they moved Jose Reyes to 2B, that is how he was listed on their roster at the begining of the season. Yet he didn't have 2B eligibility until he played 15 games (I believe the correct number is 15, not 100% positive) there.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:05 pm

That's the case with Kaz and Reyes because they have established eligibility. Boone missed a year. I'm not really sure how they handle guys like Boone but using the official rosters makes sense.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:07 pm

I copied that straight from yahoo's website:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/baseballp ... lp-09.html
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dleoboyd » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:16 pm

Interesting.....because the reality of it is that either I do not completely understand what Yahoo said there, or they contradicted themselves in a few instances (at least regarding Reyes)....oh well. They obviously haven’t updated it yet for this season (A-Rod’s 2004 eligibility). Yeah, I guess we will just have to wait and see.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Aristotle
dleoboyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:19 pm

sorry for hijacking this a bit, but whats the deal with ABoone? Whats his situation, and what do you guys expect out of him in 2005?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:24 pm

As far as I know he was suppose to start playing baseball in December and will be ready for Spring Training.

They'll probably move Blake to 2b or in the outfield and put Boone on 3b from what i've heard.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby grammysboy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:28 pm

So the question remains, will Boone have multi-position eligibility next season?

I haven't heard for sure where the tribe plans to play him, They list him at 3B. They have Peralta and Phillips penciled in at SS, but if they don't work out there, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a little SS. Sportsline lists him as eligible at 3B, MI, CI & U.

Every league has its own rules, in ours, he'll have to be drafted as a utility fielder since he didn't play last season. When he logs 5 games at a position, he will become eligible then.

If Reyes and Matsui trade positions this year, in our league, both will be eligible for 2B & SS when each has 5 appearances at their new positions. We require 20 appearances at a position the previous year to be eligible. Hence, Matsui is not eligible at 2B nor Reyes at SS to start the season.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:34 pm

grammysboy wrote:I haven't heard for sure where the tribe plans to play him, They list him at 3B.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/ ... &fext=.jsp

While his injured knee stopped Boone from contributing last season, he knows he'll be playing a central role in 2005. With four months until Spring Training, the Indians are planning to slot him as their third baseman and move Casey Blake, the incumbent, to second base or right field. Boone could also wind up at shortstop or second, depending on a number of scenarios and what kind of adjustments Blake makes in mastering his new position.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers