Michael Irvin On KMOX Talking About Hudson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Michael Irvin On KMOX Talking About Hudson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Michael Irvin On KMOX Talking About Hudson

Postby JTWood » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:48 pm

I caught the end of an interview on KMOX between Bernie and a gentleman named Michael Irvin (sp?) of MLB.com. He is apparently writing a book about the A's threesome, and he had a lot of inside dirt on what Hudson had to say about St. Louis.

Now, take all of this with a grain of salt since he is trying to sell a book, but here's some highlights of what I heard:
  • He remembered a moment last year when he was watching the playoffs with Hudson. They were watching the NLCS, and Husdon apparently commented that "the Cardinals were a real team." He clarified that Hudson was fed up with being on an A's team that never quite had all of the pieces because "the owners wouldn't support them."
  • Hudson's definining moment last year was when he outpitched the Cards only to have his bullpen cost him the game. From that day on, Irvin said that Hudson went from being reserved yet tenacious to vocal and tenacious, calling out his teammates for the first time in his career.
  • Hudson has told him privately (and now it's on KMOX :-?) that he likes the Cards so much that he would take less money to play in St. Louis.
  • Lastly, he mentioned that Beane has not said that there is any viable offer coming for Hudson, and that is frustrating Hudson because - if he's going to get traded - he wants to know where he's going now.
I missed the first part where Irvin apparently talked up Hudson's numbers; like that needs to be done. :-°

My take on the interview was this:

Hudson really is fed up with nothing coming from Beane about trading him, so he's sent out his "PR" guy to start stiring up the trade talk rumors right as the winter meetings get underway. Why else would the guy mention that he would come to St. Louis for less? I think Hudson is telling Walt to make a move for him, and he's not being so quiet about it.

Did anyone else catch this interview? What do you think?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:56 pm

At first I thought you were talking about the former Cowboys receiver and I was thinking what does he know about Hudson? :-? :-D For me Hudson in a Cards uniform is still an "I'll believe it when I see it" kinda deal, but this -- if true -- is great news for '05 and signing him long term. :-) Now if we could just avoid being raped by Beane in the process all of this will work out great. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:58 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Now if we could just avoid being raped by Beane in the process all of this will work out great. :-D

Yeah, the problem with dealing with Beane is that you don't realized you've been raped by him until it's too late. You spend a nice night talking to a good guy, then you wake up the next morning and notice that your ass hurts.

:-o
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:55 am

JTWood wrote:
SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Now if we could just avoid being raped by Beane in the process all of this will work out great. :-D

Yeah, the problem with dealing with Beane is that you don't realized you've been raped by him until it's too late. You spend a nice night talking to a good guy, then you wake up the next morning and notice that your ass hurts.

Wow, I wasn't really expecting anyone to take that one and run quite like that. :-o :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby grammysboy » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:41 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
JTWood wrote:

Wow, I wasn't really expecting anyone to take that one and run quite like that. :-o :-D

the difference between Billy Beane and most the other GMs is like the difference between the politicians from St. Louis and those from the out-state areas. The out-state guys look in the mirror every morning and say, "What can I do for my constituents today?" The St. Louis guys say, "Which part of the state can I 'screw' today?" Its a game for them.
Billy's so competive that the thrill for him is to leave you rubbin your rear tomorrow, saying, "How did I let my self do that with HIM!?"
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to St. Louis Cardinals