Hudson to StLouis? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hudson to StLouis?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:36 am

If they trade Giles alone for Hudson alone, I'd be annoyed as a Braves fan. Hudson will be gone (no way the Braves pay him $12M+ - too much of their $80M budget, not to mention they take on all of Hampton's contract in 2006), whereas Giles is one of the better 2B in the league, makes $4M+ less than Hudson in 2005, and doesn't hit free agency until 2007. Toi add Meyer to that would be way too much for one season of Hudson. I'd rather keep Giles and let Meyer or Capellan prove they can win (or get K. Brown for a mid-level prospect and the Yankees paying most of his contract if they feel Meyer and/or Capellan aren't ready until 2006).
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby trevisc » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:00 am

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:If they trade Giles alone for Hudson alone, I'd be annoyed as a Braves fan. Hudson will be gone (no way the Braves pay him $12M+ - too much of their $80M budget, not to mention they take on all of Hampton's contract in 2006), whereas Giles is one of the better 2B in the league, makes $4M+ less than Hudson in 2005, and doesn't hit free agency until 2007. Toi add Meyer to that would be way too much for one season of Hudson. I'd rather keep Giles and let Meyer or Capellan prove they can win (or get K. Brown for a mid-level prospect and the Yankees paying most of his contract if they feel Meyer and/or Capellan aren't ready until 2006).

that's precisely why they won't do the deal unless they can lock Hudson up long term..
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby slomo007 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:12 am

trevisc wrote:
mtarail wrote: Nonetheless, a Hudson for Marcus Giles trade makes more sense, IMO.

The A's want a pitching prospect name Myers or something too who was gonna compete for a spot in the rotation this spring. The braves are willing to do the deal but only if Hudson signs with them long term and rumors are he's gonna command a 12 million/year salary

I'm not quite sure why Hudson can't get more than 12/year in a multi-year deal and Pedro can get over 13. Hudson (especially long-term) is so much more valuable than Pedro that it's ridiculous. It's funny what a big-name will do to your value.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:32 am

kentx12 wrote:http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... highlight=

Here is the link where this has beed discussed.

One more thread on this topic:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=89668
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:38 am

Walt Jocketty wrote:Before Jocketty could even meet with an agent or rival executive, he dismissed reports of a trade for Oakland A's pitcher Tim Hudson as at best premature and at worst irresponsible. "It ticks me off," Jocketty said.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby stevethumb » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:38 am

hey DiamondSaint, i have owned dharen fairly cheaply for 2 yrs now in a NL only 13 team league, what kinda #s would dharen put up if he were in the redbird's rotation in 05 ?
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:13 pm

hey DiamondSaint, i have owned dharen fairly cheaply for 2 yrs now in a NL only 13 team league, what kinda #s would dharen put up if he were in the redbird's rotation in 05 ?

if he were in the rotation i could see him having an era in the mid to upper threes with about 15 wins and up to 150 strikeouts (depending on the innings). basically not quite as good as carpenters numbers last year but a little better than marquis, especially with respect to the whip. i am a cards fan so maybe i am a little biased. i think haren will be pretty solid and should give good production in an NL only league if he is a starter. jocketty feels he is ready for the rotation but i get the impession tony would prefer to have a veteran.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:00 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:

if he were in the rotation i could see him having an era in the mid to upper threes with about 15 wins and up to 150 strikeouts (depending on the innings). basically not quite as good as carpenters numbers last year but a little better than marquis, especially with respect to the whip. i am a cards fan so maybe i am a little biased. i think haren will be pretty solid and should give good production in an NL only league if he is a starter. jocketty feels he is ready for the rotation but i get the impession tony would prefer to have a veteran.

That's about what I'd say too. If he stays in STL I think he could easily put up numbers approaching Carpenter's last year. He's got the stuff, and seems to be quite durable. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby stevethumb » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:11 pm

thanks guys..from your fingertips to walt and tony's ears
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:18 pm

[quote="j_d_mcnugent"][quote]hey DiamondSaint, i have owned dharen fairly cheaply for 2 yrs now in a NL only 13 team league, what kinda #s would dharen put up if he were in the redbird's rotation in 05 ?[/quote]

if he were in the rotation i could see him having an era in the mid to upper threes with about 15 wins and up to 150 strikeouts (depending on the innings). basically not quite as good as carpenters numbers last year but a little better than marquis, especially with respect to the whip. i am a cards fan so maybe i am a little biased. i think haren will be pretty solid and should give good production in an NL only league if he is a starter. jocketty feels he is ready for the rotation but i get the impession tony would prefer to have a veteran.[/quote]

I think this is way inflated personally. Haren's first year in a rotation and he jumps into the ranks of the top 20 pitchers in the NL? 15 wins with an ERA of mid 3's is damn high. He has been inconsistent in the majors (No stats at hand, but he's jumped back and forth between the majors and AAA for a couple years.)

Haren is a good prospect, but I say double digit wins and mid 4's is more likely from a guy who will be experiencing his first year as a starter in the bigs. Also fatigue near the end of the season if he stays in that long
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers