Who is the better GM?

Billy Beane
35%
John Schuerholz
65%

Total votes : 34

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:22 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
For a similar argument, were the Bills better than the Cowboys of the same period?? The Giants??

Yes, over those four years, they were. In the given year that they lost to the cowboys, they cowboys were obviously better. in the year that they lost to giants, the giants were obviously better. but what about the 3 years that they lost ot someone besides the giants? besides the cowboys? i'd say the bills were probably the better team each of those three years.

same thing applied to the braves. i'll agree strait out that the yanks were the better team over the past 7 or 8 years, but what about the 6 preceeding? did the yanks even win their division very often those years? the braves certainly wern't the "dominant" MLB team over for the past 14 years, but over that time span, no one has done better overall, even the yanks IMO. its very easy to just look at recent history when assessing this and forget how roundly the yanks were being stomped by the oriols and the blue jays in the early 90s, let alone who many ups and downs all of the other teams in MLB have had.

honestly, the giants are one of the few other teams that has consistantly been around the division-winning level over that time period. (actually, i should say "barry bonds's team" rather than the giants, since before he left pittsburg, they were doing well, too.)

The Cowboys were definitely better but the Giants?? The Bills were the better team that year. The Giants were just a little better that day. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Super GM » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:39 am

My vote goes to Schuerholz.

He is the best GM in the majors. If you just think how much the Braves have paid for Mike Hampton the last two years.....How much? $ 0,00. The Rockies and Marlins are paying his salary. As far as I know the Braves aren't paying a penny for him til 2006.

Who claimed Jaret Wright off waivers last year? Who had the idea to move Smoltz into the closer role and now back into the rotation?

Who pulled off the Gary Sheffield for Brian Jordan trade when noone was expecting it? Who's careers have been revived in Atlanta? (Jaret Wright, John Burkett, Antonio Alfonseca, J.D. Drew, Chris Hammond, Darren Holmes, Mike Hampton, Vinny Castilla, Julio Franco) Oh and who spotted the ageless wonder (Julio Franco) somewhere in the Mexican League?

So, I think I've explained my standpoint excessively.... :-b

John Schuerholz. ;-D
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:45 am

Super GM wrote:My vote goes to Schuerholz.

He is the best GM in the majors. If you just think how much the Braves have paid for Mike Hampton the last two years.....How much? $ 0,00. The Rockies and Marlins are paying his salary. As far as I know the Braves aren't paying a penny for him til 2006.

Who claimed Jaret Wright off waivers last year? Who had the idea to move Smoltz into the closer role and now back into the rotation?

Who pulled off the Gary Sheffield for Brian Jordan trade when noone was expecting it? Who's careers have been revived in Atlanta? (Jaret Wright, John Burkett, Antonio Alfonseca, J.D. Drew, Chris Hammond, Darren Holmes, Mike Hampton, Vinny Castilla, Julio Franco) Oh and who spotted the ageless wonder (Julio Franco) somewhere in the Mexican League?

So, I think I've explained my standpoint excessively.... :-b

John Schuerholz. ;-D

If you want to talk about individual moves, then Sabean has to be up there as well. Anyway, I thought that it was Smoltz who was crying about going back into the rotation. :-? Either way, can we see him start again before we hail that as a great move??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby reiser » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:03 am

here's a pretty interesting Beane quote from-gasp-Baseball America:

"Q: Adam Gawason from Somewhere over the Rainbow asks:
Does the influx of "Moneyball Men" as GMs across MLB bode well for the future of drafting college players almost exclusively? Would that not drive up the price of such prospects, which is the reason the A's focused on them in the first place?
A: Kevin Goldstein: You win one burrito for a gold star question. As I'm sure you know, The A's took a high school player in the 4th round this year, which may indicate that the increasing number of team's going the all-college route is creating holes in the A's draft board quicker than in his in the past. That said, the A's are not NEARLY as dogmatic as people think they are. The philosophy is about finding market inefficiencies, not about drafting college players or focusing only on on-base percentage. "
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ukrneal » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:32 am

Well, a direct Beane-Schuerholz trade!

I have to say, that Schuerholz has been masterful. He made his pitching better AND reduced payroll!! And who did Oakland get? Well, they got some decent young players, but I don't have the impression that any of them are the quality of Hudson.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers