John Rocker returning?????????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

John Rocker returning??????????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

John Rocker returning??????????

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:26 pm

RotoWorld wrote:John Rocker, coming back from surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff, is set to begin pitching in the Venezuelan Winter League.
If he shows he can get left-handers out, some team will take a chance on Rocker, who has pitched just one inning in the majors since 2002.

be interesting to see how he does in the winter league, as he could bring a little interests from a few teams if he is healthy
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pacman » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:24 pm

There's a joke in there somewhere about Rocker currently being a "foreigner" living/playing in Venezuela.

Like, maybe the locals are disgusted with having to sit next to Rocker on the subway on their way to the ballpark. B-)

Wait, are there subways in Venezuela? :-?
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:34 pm

Rocker wasn't even good before the injury, why would a team take him back 2 years after the fact, coming off of surgery?

I'll always remember him for the night I actually plugged him into my lineup and he got 2 holds. That's his career highlight IMO. Pretty sad, really.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:48 pm

I don't know before the whole incident Rocker had pretty nasty stuff. If he ever stopped be such a turd and focused on baseball he could be a pretty good reliever again.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:54 pm

Amazinz wrote:I don't know before the whole incident Rocker had pretty nasty stuff. If he ever stopped be such a turd and focused on baseball he could be a pretty good reliever again.

Well the incident was 4 years ago.... he hasn't had a good year since 1999 - 6 seasons ago. But we'll see... maybe if he gets some control back after fixing his shoulder he could be serviceable. Seems like a "Wild Thing" Mitch Williams (see sig) pitcher to me; a couple good seasons, and the rest horrible, filled with walks and personal problems.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:54 pm

It's funny to think of him down there. In his bizarre rant, didn't he say something about how if you were coming to live in a country you should learn the language? I wonder how his spanish is coming along.

He did have great stuff with the Braves. Of course, John Burkett had great stuff with the Braves. But if he can get lefties out, he'll find a job. Heck, Felix Heredia has a job...
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:55 pm

Amazinz wrote:I don't know before the whole incident Rocker had pretty nasty stuff. If he ever stopped be such a turd and focused on baseball he could be a pretty good reliever again.

John Rocker and Ryan Leaf are the posterboys for the importance of intangibles. Rocker could of been the next Billy Wagner, so much wasted potential.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kentx12 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:53 pm

Looks like the Mets are intrested in him..... :-D

Just kidding
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:05 pm

"The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. I'm not a very big fan of foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get into this country?"

Atlanta Braves Pitcher John Rocker
As Quoted in Sports Illustrated

How do I publish this in Venezuela? :-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby trevisc » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:15 pm

i guess if everyone else gets a second chance why not John rocker
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers