JD Drew Snubbed the Braves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

JD Drew Snubbed the Braves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kentx12 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:55 pm

I am glad that the Braves didnt sign him for 5 yrs. Being a Braves fan I would hate to have that much money tied up for someone who might or might not play.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LCBOY » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:47 pm

If I were a GM ,at most I'd offer Drew would be two years plus an option for a third. He has to show me that his injury history is BEHIND him. My $0.02... :-°
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:03 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:You are, of course, completely wrong. It has everything to do with location. Methinks that you are overlooking that the Jays earn Canadian dollars and pay out in greenback. Up to the past half year when the US economy went in the crapper one Canadian buck would buy you $0.68 USD.

:-?
So, a typical ticket costs $5 (just throwing a number out there) in America. In Canada it costs $7.35C. The value doesnt change at all.

Most multinational companies hedge against currecy rates anyway.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm

BigMusky wrote:I tend to think the Braves are one of the few teams that almost always make the right decisions when it comes to personal. I am sure they know something that decided for them to let him go.

yes for the last 12 years or so they have made some very smart decisions concerning the free agents and such and i surely cant blame them for not giving drew the 5 year deal...it does make me wonder why they did not at least offer arbitration, but i imagine scheurholz knows more than i do :-D :-D

but if drew gets a 5 year deal from any MLB team, his agent, boras, needs to be named Man of the Year by the sporting news.... :-b :-b
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:16 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:You are, of course, completely wrong. It has everything to do with location. Methinks that you are overlooking that the Jays earn Canadian dollars and pay out in greenback. Up to the past half year when the US economy went in the crapper one Canadian buck would buy you $0.68 USD.

So, a typical ticket costs $5 (just throwing a number out there) in America. In Canada it costs $7.35C. The value doesnt change at all.

The problem was (still is to some extent) that all of the Jays' revenue (gate, merchandise, licencing, TV) came in in Canadian dollars but their biggest expense, salaries, was paid in USD. They lost on the conversion.

Hedging protects against currency fluctuation which is not the problem for the Jays.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:17 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:but if drew gets a 5 year deal from any MLB team, his agent, boras, needs to be named Man of the Year by the sporting news.... :-b :-b

That and every other publication that has a man of the year award. No way any team gives him five guaranteed years, that's a joke. He hasn't had five healthy years in the majors if you add up all the games he has played probably. ;-7 Maybe if they are a series of one year deals, I could see that, happening, but Boras usually doesn't get less than he asks for -- at least with the high profile guys -- so I'm sure some team will get suckered in. :-P
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:22 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

The problem was (still is to some extent) that all of the Jays' revenue (gate, merchandise, licencing, TV) came in in Canadian dollars but their biggest expense, salaries, was paid in USD. They lost on the conversion.

Hedging protects against currency fluctuation which is not the problem for the Jays.

Thats not accurate Mookie. The revenue from the things you mentioned has a value that doesnt change regardless of what currency it is paid in. A T-Shirt has a cost to it - say $10 US Dollars. When TOR sells it, they sell it in CAN $s - so they sell it at $14.71C. When they convert it to US$s to pay the players salaries, it was still a $10US T-Shirt. If they are losing on the conversion, then what they really did was not hedge against the change in currency, and if thats the case, give them my card, Id be happy to make sure that doesnt happen anymore.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:36 pm

schurholtz is probably still bitter over the maddux arbitration that lost them millwood. the kick was that maddux wasn't even that amazing for them that year. schurholtz clearly didn't think drew was worth the injury risk at 10m long-term or 12m for 1 year (which he might have gotten in arbitration, apperanlty. teams would be willing to pay more for a short-term contract than a long-term one, you know), and he didn't figure it was worth the draft pick to risk getting saddled with an undesirable contract. imagine if they had to dump giles or furcal for well below market value (like they did millwood) because they ended up paying 12m for drew, only to see him get hurt in spring training. talk about your bonehead moves...
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GiantFan666 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:04 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:

Thats not accurate Mookie. The revenue from the things you mentioned has a value that doesnt change regardless of what currency it is paid in. A T-Shirt has a cost to it - say $10 US Dollars. When TOR sells it, they sell it in CAN $s - so they sell it at $14.71C. When they convert it to US$s to pay the players salaries, it was still a $10US T-Shirt. If they are losing on the conversion, then what they really did was not hedge against the change in currency, and if thats the case, give them my card, Id be happy to make sure that doesnt happen anymore.

I'm probably wrong here...but I always thought the Canadian Teams paid with Canadian currency.. and that one of the problems for the teams was due to that... as well as the higher tax it was harder for them to sign FA's to come and play there...

And so as to not completely hijack this thread... I think the Braves should have offered Drew a "prove-it" contract like Nomar got 1 year for 10 million and if you stay healthy then we can talk 5 years
that being said, Drew will probably sign with the Mets now and take over for Mo Vaughn as their 10 million dollar a year injured guy
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby chinch sacs » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:49 am

George_Foreman wrote:schurholtz is probably still bitter over the maddux arbitration that lost them millwood. the kick was that maddux wasn't even that amazing for them that year. schurholtz clearly didn't think drew was worth the injury risk at 10m long-term or 12m for 1 year (which he might have gotten in arbitration, apperanlty. teams would be willing to pay more for a short-term contract than a long-term one, you know), and he didn't figure it was worth the draft pick to risk getting saddled with an undesirable contract. imagine if they had to dump giles or furcal for well below market value (like they did millwood) because they ended up paying 12m for drew, only to see him get hurt in spring training. talk about your bonehead moves...

If they want him back, he is a FA, and with those #'s last year, he will be pretty cheap...

9-6 record, 4.85 ERA, 1.46 Whip, .278 BAA :-P

I bet he is dying to get out of PHI and back with Leo...
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers