JD Drew Snubbed the Braves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

JD Drew Snubbed the Braves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:04 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Any rumors on Delgado's destination then?
Last I heard Seattle, NY Mets, or Baltimore.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 337)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:04 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I agree that Drew didn't snub them. I'm just reasoning why the Braves made the decision they did.


I understand. It's the same reason that the Jays didn't offer arbitration to Carlos Delgado, even though they really wanted him back, they can not afford fair market value for him. Because of the Yankees, Mets and Red Socks, Drew can get $10-13M/yr and Carlos can get $15-17M/yr and the smaller market teams cannot afford to keep their own players (even if they developed them themselves, like Carlos). This league really does suck.


socialist.
:-D



Nahh, just a Canadian.

The only two clubs interested in Carlos so far are the Mariners and the Orioles.

Carlos is going to sit tight for a while and see if the big boys come out with offers.

If it comes down to Baltimore vs. Seattle I think that he would probably go to Seattle. Even though he could hit 40+ HR/yr with 120+ RBI for the next 5 years in Camden, I think that the quiet life in Seattle, no English media, no playoffs, kind of sleepy, appeals to him and he may go there.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 277)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:10 pm

trevisc wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
My point was that if the fair market price for Drew right now is $10 and the Braves didn't want to go that high and did not want to even risk a possible $12.5 M by offering him arbitration, then Drew didn't exactly snub them did he?


Well..my point about the snubbing is that he said he wanted to stay with the Braves but he just couldn't because of the money. In my opinion he got a fair offer and should have at least countered it. That's where the snubbing comes in

:-D


Yeah Trev, if a player knows that he is going where the money is (and I can't really blame Drew for wanting to cash in now given his medical history) he should be honest about it. There's nothing that I hate more than a player saying that he will stay in a city because he loves the fans, loves the organization etc.. then bolts for the team that offers him $0.10 more. Tracy McGrady did this whole song and dance about wanting to stay in Toronto, then he took a lower offer to go to Orlando - :-t
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 277)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:14 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
trevisc wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
My point was that if the fair market price for Drew right now is $10 and the Braves didn't want to go that high and did not want to even risk a possible $12.5 M by offering him arbitration, then Drew didn't exactly snub them did he?


Well..my point about the snubbing is that he said he wanted to stay with the Braves but he just couldn't because of the money. In my opinion he got a fair offer and should have at least countered it. That's where the snubbing comes in

:-D


Yeah Trev, if a player knows that he is going where the money is (and I can't really blame Drew for wanting to cash in now given his medical history) he should be honest about it. There's nothing that I hate more than a player saying that he will stay in a city because he loves the fans, loves the organization etc.. then bolts for the team that offers him $0.10 more. Tracy McGrady did this whole song and dance about wanting to stay in Toronto, then he took a lower offer to go to Orlando - :-t


Its just hedging your bets though. Im positive 99% of us here would say very similar things if we were in similar circumstances. What was TMac gonna say - "actually I really cant stand playing here in TOR and want to be traded desperately"? Its almost always a money game when players open their mouths. We should be used to it by now.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:17 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Any rumors on Delgado's destination then?
Last I heard Seattle, NY Mets, or Baltimore.


Isnt Seattle and Baltimore in similar markets to TOR in terms of population and that sort of thing? How can they afford Delgado?
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:26 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Any rumors on Delgado's destination then?
Last I heard Seattle, NY Mets, or Baltimore.


Isnt Seattle and Baltimore in similar markets to TOR in terms of population and that sort of thing? How can they afford Delgado?


Peter Angelos

I think that the M's are owned by some very rich Japanese businessmen. Both teams make more than the Jays because of their larger markets. The M's are pretty big in Japan I think.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 277)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:37 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Any rumors on Delgado's destination then?
Last I heard Seattle, NY Mets, or Baltimore.


Isnt Seattle and Baltimore in similar markets to TOR in terms of population and that sort of thing? How can they afford Delgado?


Peter Angelos

I think that the M's are owned by some very rich Japanese businessmen. Both teams make more than the Jays because of their larger markets. The M's are pretty big in Japan I think.


Your jumping the gun on my argument Mookie. The reason SEA can afford Delgado and TOR cant has nothing to do with location or local demographics, but because of a brilliant decision to go out and find a new fan base across the Pacific. What stopped TOR from doing the same thing back in 1999-2000?

Im guess my point is Im not going to agree that teams are stuck financially due to their location. A good owner/manager will overcome those obsticals.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:50 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Any rumors on Delgado's destination then?
Last I heard Seattle, NY Mets, or Baltimore.


Isnt Seattle and Baltimore in similar markets to TOR in terms of population and that sort of thing? How can they afford Delgado?


Peter Angelos

I think that the M's are owned by some very rich Japanese businessmen. Both teams make more than the Jays because of their larger markets. The M's are pretty big in Japan I think.


Your jumping the gun on my argument Mookie. The reason SEA can afford Delgado and TOR cant has nothing to do with location or local demographics, but because of a brilliant decision to go out and find a new fan base across the Pacific. What stopped TOR from doing the same thing back in 1999-2000?

Im guess my point is Im not going to agree that teams are stuck financially due to their location. A good owner/manager will overcome those obsticals.


Don't get me started Corn...I'm warning you :-D

You are, of course, completely wrong. It has everything to do with location. Methinks that you are overlooking that the Jays earn Canadian dollars and pay out in greenback. Up to the past half year when the US economy went in the crapper one Canadian buck would buy you $0.68 USD.

Oh, and the Ms don't play a majority of their games against the Yankees and Red Socks. Pretty tough for us to win against those 2 (even though we do a damned good job of it).

In the face of all of this our payroll has been the same as the M's until 2 yrs ago when the Jays started losing $10M/season and had to drop payroll from $76M to $50M.

The M's have it comparitively easy.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 277)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby LBJackal » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:52 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Any rumors on Delgado's destination then?
Last I heard Seattle, NY Mets, or Baltimore.


Isnt Seattle and Baltimore in similar markets to TOR in terms of population and that sort of thing? How can they afford Delgado?


Peter Angelos

I think that the M's are owned by some very rich Japanese businessmen. Both teams make more than the Jays because of their larger markets. The M's are pretty big in Japan I think.


Your jumping the gun on my argument Mookie. The reason SEA can afford Delgado and TOR cant has nothing to do with location or local demographics, but because of a brilliant decision to go out and find a new fan base across the Pacific. What stopped TOR from doing the same thing back in 1999-2000?

Im guess my point is Im not going to agree that teams are stuck financially due to their location. A good owner/manager will overcome those obsticals.


I see the capitalist "lesson" you're giving mook but there were other constraints to the Jays. Partly, yeah it's their fault. But the Canadian dollar was horrible before and baseball just flat out is not popular in Canada like it is in the US. getting ichiro was a good move, but hey the Jays have Nakamura and Chen I think, LOL. Why don't the asian countries follow the Jays? :-b
Image

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 9196
Joined: 1 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Hotel Yorba

Postby BigMusky » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:53 pm

I tend to think the Braves are one of the few teams that almost always make the right decisions when it comes to personal. I am sure they know something that decided for them to let him go.
Image
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Sweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 2780
Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: "Milla-walk-ay"

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Oct. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Francisco at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact