JD Drew Snubbed the Braves - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

JD Drew Snubbed the Braves

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

JD Drew Snubbed the Braves

Postby trevisc » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:41 pm

The Braves' best offer to J.D. Drew before severing ties with the free agent was $25 million over three years.
Drew indicated that he would have preferred to stay in Atlanta all things being equal. However, he could get $45 million-$50 million over five years from another team

The boy has his first healthy season of his career and now wants a 5 year deal. What a crock. S. Boras at his best ladies and gentlemen.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:45 pm

Wonder who the suitors are for Drew?

Any speculation?

I know Detroit really has its heart set on Finley, so I doubt they would be interested at all.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby trevisc » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:46 pm

I think it's Boras lying like the dog he is. some team will probably offer him that. Maybe the Dodgers...
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:52 pm

I can understand the Braves not wanting to give him 5 years. I don't think any team will unless half the contract is vesting. But the Braves dropped the ball (if they really want him back) offering Drew less than $10M per year. He is a shoe-in to get that much. You make that offer knowing it is going to be rejected.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:58 pm

Wasn't he eligible for arbitration?

why didn't the Braves offer him arbitration so that if he/Boras are full of crap, the Braves can match any offer that comes in?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby trevisc » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:58 pm

well..if he had a better track record then sure. But this was his first healthy season. I think the offer was decent. the least Drew could have done was have his agent counter the offer.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby trevisc » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:01 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Wasn't he eligible for arbitration?

why didn't the Braves offer him arbitration so that if he/Boras are full of crap, the Braves can match any offer that comes in?

Because the Braves didn't want to take a chance on Drew getting a fat arbitration settlement like Maddux got and then having to let someone go like they did with Millwood. I basically think the Braves know that there is equal talent to be found out there and for less or equal money. I think the Braves will be one of the busier teams in the winter meeting.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:02 pm

If the Braves refused to offer him arbitration then, sorry, but they get what they deserve.

If they are not willing to pay fair market value for him (as determined by an independent third party) then it's the Braves who snubbed Drew.

The arbitrator takes his track record, injury history etc.. into account when deciding on a number.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby trevisc » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:04 pm

so mookie..are you saying Drew will get 5 years/ 50 million?

Would you pay that much for him as a GM?
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:14 pm

I still don't get why they didn't offer him arbitration if they were willing to pay him $8 mil a year and Drew and Boras were asking for $10 mil a year. Worst case they get stuck paying him $10 mil for one year and he is a FA again. Other choices are he leaves and the Braves get a draft pick or Drew and the Braves come to some sort of agreement. Instead they chose not to offer arbitration and get nothing. :-t
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers