Glaus to AZ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Glaus to AZ

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Glaus to AZ

Postby stumpak » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:03 am

Not the best way to rebuild in my opinion and not the best use of $45M. The guy has not been healthy in two years, is a career .250 hitter and had only one really good season. But the altitude could mean a nice HR boost from a fantasy perspective and the move shows a commitment to improvement that could mitigate the negative side of moving RJ.

Thursday, December 9, 2004

Associated Press
PHOENIX -- The Arizona Diamondbacks are set to sign free-agent third baseman Troy Glaus to a four-year, $45 million contract, a newspaper reported Thursday.

The Arizona Republic said Glaus agreed terms late Wednesday night and his signing would be announced by the Diamondbacks at a news conference Thursday at Bank One Ballpark.

Diamondbacks officials did not immediately return calls seeking comment on the newspaper's story.

The Republic said Glaus would be given a $4 million signing bonus and a salary of $8.25 million in 2005, $9.25 million in 2006, $10.75 million in 2007 and $12.75 million in 2008 with none of the money deferred.

The Anaheim Angels declined to offer salary arbitration to Glaus on Tuesday, cutting ties with the 2002 World Series MVP.

A three-time All-Star, the 28-year-old Glaus missed most of last season because of a right shoulder injury that required surgery on May 21. He batted .251 with 18 homers and 42 RBIs in 58 games.

Glaus led the American League with 47 homers in 2000, then hit 41 the following year. He has three 100-RBI seasons, but shoulder injuries have slowed him the past two years.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:15 am

HOLY COW!!

now how come they could do that but they couldn't give Sexson that much? Well I think that's a good place for Glaus to play and if he's healthy he'll put up really good numbers there. I don't see how they could trade RJ now though. They'll need someone to draw in the tickets.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:16 am

Wow, talk about overpaying. Geez.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:16 am

:-t I can't see how Glaus is worth an avg of $11 million a year. That is about what Chavez and Rolen are making and Glaus isn't close to being the 3B that they are IMO. That seems like a lot of money to tie up in an injury prone guy.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:18 am

trevisc wrote:HOLY COW!!

my exact thoughts as well......i just figured they would rebuild for a year or two and sell off their good players(rj, and gonzo),,,,not overpay big time for a 250 career hitter........
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:20 am

wow

I guess Glaus hit the jackpot.

Sexson and Glaus will be a formidable 1-2 if Sexson decides to come back. They are still going to be a terrible team and finish last in their division though. Trading 6 players for Sexson last yr absolutely destroyed any chances that team had.

Do we have any Diamondback fans around here that might be able to explain whats happening there? Do you really think signing Glaus for that much will help your team, or could the money have been put to better use elsewhere?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:31 am

Not a DBacks fan, but the rest of their roster is looking to be pretty cheap. After Gonzo, their OF includes a Terrero (low cost) and possibly Hairston. Two rookie catchers, low cost MI (Cintron, Kata, Gil and/or Hairston if not OF). Hillenbrand or Tracy are also relatively cheap. After RJ, their rotation includes Webb (low cost) and a bunch of low cost vets and/or rookies. Their bullpen and closer are the same.

I guess they felt the needed a "name" player on offese to go with Gonzo. I agree that it seems to much. When I read the rumors, I was thinking $7-8M/year, not $11M.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby stumpak » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:34 am

Like I said in another thread, Mets-West. If there ever was a prime candidate to bite the bullet on a 50 wins season and rebuild, AZ is it.

Also, I would not expect a big year out of Glaus--there is NO ONE hitting around him in that line-up. Of course he will crank some HRs, but if you want a .240 average to go along with your 40 HRs, get Dunn, at least will have people on base to drive in.

The guy that should be salivating is Beltre--if Glaus gets $11M per, what do you think Beltre is worth. Glaus' contract is really as distoriationary as Benson's.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:39 am

stumpak wrote:distoriationary

:-?

I agree with the impact this will have on Beltre, but what does distoriationary mean?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kentx12 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:46 am

I cant believe they spent that much on him. If Sexson leaves he will have no protection in that lineup I dont see him putting up very good numbers even if he can stay healthy.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers