Report: Yankees Prepared to Offer Pavano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Yankees Prepared to Offer Pavano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:00 pm

If I had to choose between Pedro and Pavano I'd take Pedro everytime. Pavano hasn't been that good yet, at least not enough to justify what's going to be given to him. Pedro may be older, but he still is among league leaders in ERA (except last year), W's, and K's. Pedro is looking for $12-$15million range give or take for 3 years, and judging by what other SP's have gotten so far this offseason I fully expect Pavano to command at least $10million for at least as long as what Pedro's looking for. Maybe I'm too down on Pavano, but who ever lands him will have more risk than reward unless he has career years from here on out. I may be reading too much into what the market is saying, or something, but I just don't see all the hype about Pavano. :-/
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:17 pm

Maggs and his bum knee is better than Beltran? Cheaper sure, but not better, IMO.

And the free agent binge started when many of the core old guard (O'neill, Brosius, Tino, etc) either rettred or were well past their primes. This is of course the result of the fact that we have had TERRIBLE drafts and have not developed much talent. We have though signed massive wastes of money and all round flops like Drew Henson, David Parrish and others. The Yanks minor leagie development personnel are terrible and how Newman keeps his job is beyond me. We have not traded away any significant prospects that amounted to anything outside of Lowell in the past 10 years. Fact is we have not developed many. No top flight poitcher since Pettitte. No relievers since Mo and Mendoza. No position player since Soriano (who was an International signing technically) unless you want to count perenial over-hyped bust Nick "Oh MY Wrist" Johnson. Bernie, Posada, Jeter, Mo, Pettite...all from the 90's.

George was left with the option of falling to mediocrity or filling in with free agents. He has the money so why not. Problem is we are not signing the right players. Too many mistakes from Giambi to RonDL to Vazquez to Lofton to Karsay to Hammond to Travis Lee.
Add in a few bad trades like Weaver and Brown.
And the list is getting longer this year it would seem.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby blankman » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:30 am

I don't think you can make any arguement that at the time, in 2001 Giambi was a bad signing. He put up another MVP caliber season in his first year with the team, 2002, and what has happened is not something they could have forseen. Vaz is still way too early to call. His first half was All-Star material, so it can't be the big lights. He had some mechanics problems and the Yankee pitching coaches just plain don't improve anyone or anything. Something needs to be done there.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:41 am

Maybe so and I know hind-sight is 20-20, but in the end a GM gets judged on his moves. Giambi and his roid situation was not unknown at the time. It was never a concern and I am not saying Cashman should have known. But it turned out very badly and the buck stops with him on paper.

As to Vaz, I have ranted on him for some time. Whether he is a head case or not, fact is he is getting #1 or #2 money and pitching like a long man. Weaver, Brown and Vaz were all brought in by Cashman...and all are/were complete disaters to this point.

I completely agree the Yanks pitching coaches could not correct a pitcher's spelling mistakes let alone mechanical problems. But that is like blaming the umpires for a bad outting...just an excuse for someone who is not getting the job done. The problem is, that if you keep Vaz and he continues to stink it up, then you are strunk with him for 2 more years, 22+ M dollars and will get NOTHING for him. Right now, there are still a lot of teams that think he is valuable, so IMO we are better off dealing him for value now and cutting our losses. Last thing we need is another Weaver.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers