Report: Yankees Prepared to Offer Pavano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Report: Yankees Prepared to Offer Pavano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:30 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:If they don't have to pay his salary, I'm sure that a lot of teams would take Brown.

The Yanks will probably get some club to pay $2-4 M of his salary depending on how many games he starts (eg. base salary + $$ per start).

if i was a GM, i would take my chances with brown if i only had to pay $4 million a year, but there is no way i take him at the tremendous salary he is set at........he is still good enough to earn a team $4 million easily if he is healthy...but that is a big IF

Agreed, Brown is not as bad as New Yorkers think he is. Of course, losing the World Series didn't help his reputation. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:37 pm

trevisc wrote:I can't stand Kevin Brown. With that said..if he was on the Braves' roster i'd probably at least tolerate him while he was healthy.

:-o

The only way I see Atlanta taking him is if N.Y. pays most all of his salary.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:46 pm

kentx12 wrote:
trevisc wrote:I can't stand Kevin Brown. With that said..if he was on the Braves' roster i'd probably at least tolerate him while he was healthy.

:-o

The only way I see Atlanta taking him is if N.Y. pays most all of his salary.

That's the only way that any team takes him - this is the Yankees way of paying a luxury tax.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby lesgrant » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:51 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:A little off-topic but...

does anyone know of a site which has all player salaries as well as team salaries?

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/default.aspx
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:39 pm

Pavano, Radke, and Milton. Yikes. They better hope they score 10 runs a game, especially with no bullpen (other than the washed up overpaid SP's they still have under contract).

Why not Lieber, Clement, Odalis, or even Lowe (he couldn't have lost his control totally - could he?)? Why are they only signing players that had one good season in 2004 and ignoring the previous years?

And they should keep Brown. He's as good as any FA's other than Pedro. And the cost to keep him is less than the cost of signing one of the soon to be overpaid FA's. Makes no sense to me.

You think George would know by now that it's not having the highest payroll, it's having the best players. Worked in 96, 98, 99, 2000. Then they started buying all the most expensive players. And they have 0 WS in the past 4 seasons (lost to a wild card team each of the past 3 years).

They're spending $90M on these guys alone in 2005:

Giambi (15.5)
Brown (15)
Posada (12)
Jeter (20)
Bernie (12)
Vazquez (10)
Karsay (5)

Why? The big deals work out once in a while (A-Rod so far, and Sheff so far) but look at the other times they've wasted money dumping it on the flavour of the week, or a player not worth his contract. Yeah it's nice to have the same core guys return after a string of WS wins but Bernie is getting about $9M too much, Jeter's getting about $10M too much, and Posada's getting about $5M too much. Ridiculous. And now they're gonna waste a ton of money on Beltran probably. Maggs is better and will probably go for a big chunk less. It never ends...

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:20 pm

I wouldn't call Maggs better Jackal.

Anyway, I pray that they ink Pavano. With not getting Lieber back and the other disasters, they had at least better sign Pavano. I think Brown should stay from an economic and talent perspective. He's probably better talent wise than anyone else the Yankees have and to pay for him to play for another team is stupid IMO.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Zito is God » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:02 pm

I think whoever gets pavano will be overpaying. Don't get me wrong, he had a great year but I need to see another one in order to not deem him a Loiaza type bust.

Here is what I think the Yanks rotation should look like next year (assuming Broqwn is not dumped), and he won't be, but remmember, he had a great start to the season.

R.Johnson
Mussina
Vazques
Clement
Brown

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:25 pm

Zito is God wrote:I think whoever gets pavano will be overpaying. Don't get me wrong, he had a great year but I need to see another one in order to not deem him a Loiaza type bust.

Here is what I think the Yanks rotation should look like next year (assuming Broqwn is not dumped), and he won't be, but remmember, he had a great start to the season.

R.Johnson
Mussina
Vazques
Clement
Brown

First off, where's Wright and Milton. Second of all, how are they going to get Randy without giving up Vazquez?

Although I wouldn't mind having that staff going into the season, I don't think it's accurate. ;-)
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:47 pm

Zito is God wrote:I think whoever gets pavano will be overpaying. Don't get me wrong, he had a great year but I need to see another one in order to not deem him a Loiaza type bust.

I completely 100% agree with you on that one. If '04 was indeed his contract year, it wasn't too much to write home about IMO, at least not enough to justify what the Yankees will probably pay for him. Oh and like aj said, I don't think that rotation is going to be very accurate. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:52 pm

If you're the Yankees, who would you rather get?

Pavano- 29 year old with good stuff who has pitched well in the playoffs in '03 and dominated in '04. Can be a ace for years to come, or can bust in big city lights.

Pedro- Mid 30s, still has good stuff. Has pitched well and also blown it in pressure situations. Losing MPH off his fastball, but is more of a sure thing. Probably won't be around too much longer.

These are the top 2 pitchers left on the market and it's hard for me to choose. Pavano's age and the fact that I despise Pedro makes me want them to get Carl, but I'm deathly afraid of another bust.

This should make interesting discussion...
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers