Livan Hernandez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Livan Hernandez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Livan Hernandez

Postby Apex » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:10 pm

Can anyone give me an idea of what I could expect from Livan Hernandez next year for the Nationals? I'm in a league that counts Complete Games and Shut-Outs, and I'm trying to figure out how much of a boost he gets over a standard 5x5 under this scenario. The guy with Livan last year walked away with those 2 categories, which is a huge advantage, especially when he has decent numbers across the board with the possible exception of wins. I know it's an unusual league size, but for a 9-team league, in what round would you expect him to go? Thanks!
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:31 pm

he's been pretty good. I'd say more of the same that you saw from him last year. When healthy he's one of the better underrated SP in baseball
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby stumpak » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:52 pm

In general, he is a horse, but keep in mind that how far guys go in games depends a lot on the philosophy of the particular manager, and it is not yet certain that Frank Robinson will be back next year.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pacman » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:58 pm

I had Livan in one of my leagues this past season, and he was a horse. I like him and will consider drafting him mid-late rounds if I need a solid starter at that point. In a league that counts SHOs and CGs, his value is higher. I was in a league that added SHOs a couple of years ago, and that's a real wildcard category - you can never be sure who will go 9 more often than others. But Livan has the track record to be a good candidate to get you CGs and SHOs.

I keep thinking he'd be thought of more hightly in the Fantasy world, if he played for just about anyone other than the Expos/Nationals.

Good luck.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:01 pm

i agree with stumpak. it depends a lot on the manager. frankie would let livan out there to finish off his games cuz the expos didn't score a lot of runs and almost everytime livan left the game with a slim lead, the expos' closer(s) would give blow the save. frankie just figured it would be a lot better to leave livan there to close out his own games. but i think his a good picther regardless if he gets the complete games or not. underrated...
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:16 pm

As far as the manager, the Nationals haven't acquired a real closer yet, so I wouldn't think a new manager would have him on a shorter leash. If they went out and really soilidified the pen, maybe, but if healthy I see him with as many CG's as '04 probably. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:24 pm

stumpak wrote:In general, he is a horse, but keep in mind that how far guys go in games depends a lot on the philosophy of the particular manager, and it is not yet certain that Frank Robinson will be back next year.

and one other thing....how good the bullpen(closer) is.....you are not going to see the dodgers or yanks with gagne and rivera sending many starting pitchers out there to start the 9th inning in a close game, with their 2 horses in the pen......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stevethumb » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:55 pm

another thing to remember about complete games is that a SP gets credit for one if he pitches 8 innings on the road and his team loses..so guys like livan and oliver perez and ddavis who are good pitchers on bad teams would have some added value in your league
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers