Red Sox sign Mantei - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox sign Mantei

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:29 pm

Pacman wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Give me a break the Sox don't have a budget!! Infact no other team has spent so much and won the world series...so don't get all sox are better then yankees on us when the sox are #2 in payroll.

Looking at Giambi, Vazquez and Brown's salaries as three examples, I'd say the Yanks are guilty of being far more reckless with their cash than Boston is. I agree that Boston and NYY are both way out ahead of the rest of the league in salary, but I think Boston has spent that money a LOT more smartly than NYY has in recent seasons.

Figure out $ per WS over the past 50 years, or 25 years, or ten years - I think that you will find that the Yankees are getting better value than the Red Socks :-b

slomo007 wrote:I know you didn't just call Mantei a premier RP, did you? :-[

Wasn't he healthy when the lost the closer's job last year? I remember him saying he wasn't hurt and that his struggles were partly mental and partly mechanical. I could be wrong though.

Blisters - same thing that took Leiter out for a couple of years.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:47 pm

slomo007 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Awesome deal by the Sox. If he's healthy they got a reliever almost as good as Foulke for under $1M. Nobody out there could top that offer? Sheesh. Benson, Pavano, and Radke are gonna get HUGE deals worth between 5 and 10 mil per, and the Sox sneak in and get a premier RP for 750K.

I know you didn't just call Mantei a premier RP, did you? :-[

Wasn't he healthy when the lost the closer's job last year? I remember him saying he wasn't hurt and that his struggles were partly mental and partly mechanical. I could be wrong though.

If he can control his blisters - I think he's a premier RP. Regardless, it's 750K. Orlando Palmeiro just signed for more than that for christ's sake.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby tlef316 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:49 pm

i was counting on mantei for 30 saves last year :-P

now he's a red sock, so i have even more reason to despise him

financially, good move. high reward potential
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:49 pm

Mantei blew last year. He single-handedly destroyed at least 5 of Webb's wins...GRRRRR :-P
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:54 pm

Yeah he wasn't so great last year... he wasn't healthy, which has been hsi problem. The Sox should just use him a couple times a month and then in the playoffs his skin should be tough enough to handle pitching every other day for a month.

BTW Brandon Webb is my second cousin... he's 3 years old but his name is Brandon Webb :-b

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:18 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I know you didn't just call Mantei a premier RP, did you? :-[

Blisters - same thing that took Leiter out for a couple of years.

Yeah I remember him having blisters....but I also remember him saying that they weren't what was effecting his performance. He said something like, as much as I would like to blame this on my blisters, that's not the case. I read this on Rotoworld...unfortunately, Rotoworld's news history doesn't go back that far. Not a huge deal I know, but that just goes to show that his health isn't the only thing that is keeping him from being an elite RP.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Arlo » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:31 pm

Further proof that everything is relative:

$750,000: Nice bargain for the Sox

$7: Too much for me to keep him next year... :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pacman » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:33 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Pacman wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Give me a break the Sox don't have a budget!! Infact no other team has spent so much and won the world series...so don't get all sox are better then yankees on us when the sox are #2 in payroll.

Looking at Giambi, Vazquez and Brown's salaries as three examples, I'd say the Yanks are guilty of being far more reckless with their cash than Boston is. I agree that Boston and NYY are both way out ahead of the rest of the league in salary, but I think Boston has spent that money a LOT more smartly than NYY has in recent seasons.

Figure out $ per WS over the past 50 years, or 25 years, or ten years - I think that you will find that the Yankees are getting better value than the Red Socks :-b

Too bad you missed my point, Mook, I was saying in the past few years, based on what both teams have done, the Yanks have been fairly reckless and the Sox much more savvy with their respective huge payrolls.

Or maybe you GOT that point, and just wanted to slam the Sox, in which case I understand.... after all, what have the Mets had to celebrate in the past 18 years or so?

You keep holding on to 1986, Mookie. I'll keep celebrating the 2004 World Series, thank you very much. ;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

webb

Postby jecarney64 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:07 pm

AJ,

I take it you had Webb on your roster last year??? Who else would now about Mantei blowing 5 games for Webb!
jecarney64
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:12 pm

It's funny how everybody thinks Mook is a Mets fan :-D

LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner