Red Sox sign Mantei - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox sign Mantei

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:55 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:The Sox have a budget, unlike their neighbors to the South,

That's pretty funny. :-b
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:55 pm

This is Theo low-risk/high-upside at it's finest, IMO.

Remember, at one time Mantei was a very good reliever. At best, this works out like a charm for the Sox. At worst, het gets injured again....and it's just 750K.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:25 pm

nsulham wrote:This is Theo low-risk/high-upside at it's finest, IMO.

Remember, at one time Mantei was a very good reliever. At best, this works out like a charm for the Sox. At worst, het gets injured again....and it's just 750K.

just 750K? gotta love the red sox ;-D

but seriously. nice signing by them.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 608)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:28 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Theo loves to buy low. Yeah, he may not be healthy, but it's worth the risk. Bellhorn may not have been good, but he was worth the risk. It's how Theo operates. The Sox have a budget, unlike their neighbors to the South, and he needs to find cheap replacements--hello, Bronson--if he's to overpay to keep Pedro and/or 'Tek.

Give me a break the Sox don't have a budget!! Infact no other team has spent so much and won the world series...so don't get all sox are better then yankees on us when the sox are #2 in payroll.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:33 pm

There's a slight chance he'll rebound IMO, but as far as I'm concerned, that money was just flushed down the toilet in all likelihood. Not a terrible signing I guess, due to the very slight chance he could return to All-Star form, but there's a much higher probability of him never seeing anything but the trainers' room.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby kentx12 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:51 pm

That is a great deal for the Sox.. ;-D
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Rico The Retard » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:53 pm

sweet we made a good move
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:02 pm

Awesome deal by the Sox. If he's healthy they got a reliever almost as good as Foulke for under $1M. Nobody out there could top that offer? Sheesh. Benson, Pavano, and Radke are gonna get HUGE deals worth between 5 and 10 mil per, and the Sox sneak in and get a premier RP for 750K.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pacman » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:03 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Give me a break the Sox don't have a budget!! Infact no other team has spent so much and won the world series...so don't get all sox are better then yankees on us when the sox are #2 in payroll.

Looking at Giambi, Vazquez and Brown's salaries as three examples, I'd say the Yanks are guilty of being far more reckless with their cash than Boston is. I agree that Boston and NYY are both way out ahead of the rest of the league in salary, but I think Boston has spent that money a LOT more smartly than NYY has in recent seasons. The worst contract the Sox are currently tied to is Manny's and that contract was inherited from the old owners/GM (who were far more reckless than this group).

All I'm saying is, the distinction between the two teams is that NYY can employ the strategy of throwing a boatload of money to land any free agents the team wants, then, if it doesn't work out, just write that money off as a loss, eat the contract (or trade him and pay most of the contract anyway) and then go and sign someone else. That, in my opinion is where the Yankees have a HUGE advantage over EVERONE else, including Boston. The Sox do not have that luxury. There IS a limit to how much they'll spend. We're seeing it in how cautious they're being so far this off season.

Just my opinion.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:13 pm

LBJackal wrote:Awesome deal by the Sox. If he's healthy they got a reliever almost as good as Foulke for under $1M. Nobody out there could top that offer? Sheesh. Benson, Pavano, and Radke are gonna get HUGE deals worth between 5 and 10 mil per, and the Sox sneak in and get a premier RP for 750K.

I know you didn't just call Mantei a premier RP, did you? :-[

Wasn't he healthy when the lost the closer's job last year? I remember him saying he wasn't hurt and that his struggles were partly mental and partly mechanical. I could be wrong though.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers