Lieber Going to Philly (?) -- NY Post - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lieber Going to Philly (?) -- NY Post

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lieber Going to Philly (?) -- NY Post

Postby Pacman » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:59 pm

just FYI:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/35981.htm

"...Lieber, who was offered arbitration, and the Phillies are close to a three-year deal for $21 million..."

( The article is by George King, who in the past has been known to make things up :-t , but just thought I'd pass it on. )
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:02 pm

wow 21million...that sounds like a lot to me...Leiber is good but not that good IMO
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:45 pm

holy cow! talk about over paid. I'm glad from a Braves fan perspective though. No Millwood and now Lieber. We should be able to dominate them this year
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby The Cow » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:12 pm

That is too much money for Lieber, but this is yet another guy my Tribe missed out on. Though I am not too upset over this one. Some guys on the Tribes wis list that have signed: Wright, Lieber, Benitez, percival, I am sure I forgot someone oh yeah Radke.

BUT the Tribe's #1 target is still unsigned- Matt Clement. I think Clement is a solid pitcher but I think he is a big injury risk.

COW
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:42 pm

no offense Cow but nobody wants to play for the Tribe. Lieber is old and is hoping to see a WS run from the Phillies. I'm sure plenty of teams threw out offers to him that we'll never hear of. Some possibly for more money.

Don't want to offend you but Cleveland is not #1 on many player's lists.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:45 pm

Seems to be the going rate - 3 years, $21M+ (Benson, Wright and now, possibly Lieber). I'm higher on Lieber than some, apparantly, so while I think the $7/year is OK, I think the length of the deal is the bad part. While he may be worth it in 2005, I don't see him being worth it in 2007. But, for next year, I think it would be a good pick-up for the Phillies.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:49 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:Seems to be the going rate - 3 years, $21M+ (Benson, Wright and now, possibly Lieber). I'm higher on Lieber than some, apparantly, so while I think the $7/year is OK, I think the length of the deal is the bad part. While he may be worth it in 2005, I don't see him being worth it in 2007. But, for next year, I think it would be a good pick-up for the Phillies.

I agree, I'd take Lieber over Wright and Benson so it's decent amount of money considering what the other two got. Stupid frigin Yankees let Lieber go for Wright, looks to be another dissappointing season, unless they get RJ and Pavano.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:14 pm

It's official, according to Jayson Stark on ESPN News

3 years for 21 mil

Nice signing by Philly.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:25 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:....unless they get RJ and Pavano.

This is off topic, but why is everyone making Pavano out to be the savior of the Yankees? Do people really think he will repeat last year? It was a complete fluke IMO, and on top of that he's going to cost way too much. I could very well be wrong on this, but even if he put up numbers like last year for his entire career he wouldn't deserve what he's more than likely going to get. I just don't understand. :-/
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:34 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:....unless they get RJ and Pavano.

This is off topic, but why is everyone making Pavano out to be the savior of the Yankees? Do people really think he will repeat last year? It was a complete fluke IMO, and on top of that he's going to cost way too much. I could very well be wrong on this, but even if he put up numbers like last year for his entire career he wouldn't deserve what he's more than likely going to get. I just don't understand. :-/

not sure but I just saw this:

According to the New York Daily News, the Yankees are prepared to make a four-year offer to Carl Pavano.
The paper believes the Yankees will give up on acquiring Randy Johnson (until July anyway) and try to enter next season with a rotation of Mike Mussina, Pavano, Javier Vazquez, Eric Milton and Jaret Wright. They could still ink Pavano and try to re-sign Orlando Hernandez as a sixth starter. Kevin Brown will be dumped on another team, maybe Atlanta.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers