Matt Moris re-signs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Moris re-signs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:50 pm

a damn good deal for the Cards. Now if the Yankees can just sign Lieber... at any price...please... :-o
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:19 pm

StlSluggers wrote:I'm glad he's staying in that he's a staple to the team. I'm not glad about his performance, but for that money, he's a very good risk/investment.

Walt does it again!

;-D

I wasn't really expecting him to sign and didn't want him too if the price was too high, but $2.5 is a great deal. :-)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby rlee » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:50 pm

I'm not all that sure he could have gotten much more from another team. His velocity was way down last year, gave up tons of gopher balls, and is undergoing surgery again this winter. :-/

The price is right for the Cards, but I think he's still a gamble. The big question is why has his velocity dropped so much? !+)
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby kentx12 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:04 pm

What does everyone expect from him next year. He has to improve dosent he. Will he be a good 4th or 5th starter on a fantasy team?
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:21 pm

As a Cards fan I love the deal. Yea, there can be 4.5 million extra put on the contract because of incentives... which I hope he earns. If he makes the extra dough he will have done something right.

Lotsa Cards' fans wanted to see him go because they thought he would be too costly, but amazing he signed for 2.5 million. Classy move by Morris.
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:46 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Lotsa Cards' fans wanted to see him go because they thought he would be too costly, but amazing he signed for 2.5 million. Classy move by Morris.

That's why I didn't want him to come back. I figured he would get at least $8-$9 million per year for 2-3 years considering some of the other signings so far, it could have maybe gone higher. :-?
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:46 am

I thought Morris' incentives could push the contract to $4 mil, but apparently I was wrong:

St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote:With the surgically repaired Morris signed for a $2.5 million base that could grow to $7 million with incentives...

St. Louis Post-Dispatch
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby slomo007 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:47 am

StlSluggers wrote:I thought Morris' incentives could push the contract to $4 mil, but apparently I was wrong:

St. Louis Post-Dispatch wrote:With the surgically repaired Morris signed for a $2.5 million base that could grow to $7 million with incentives...

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Look at it this way: if he actually does well enough to reach the incentives that make it a $7 million contract....he will be well worth the money.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:49 am

slomo007 wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:I thought Morris' incentives could push the contract to $4 mil, but apparently I was wrong:

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Look at it this way: if he actually does well enough to reach the incentives that make it a $7 million contract....he will be well worth the money.

I'm not complaining. I'm just pointing out that I heard $4 mil, and the reality appears to be $7 mil. I wanted anyone else who was misinformed to know.

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:02 pm

Why can't all contracts be loaded with incentives? :-D Seriously though if he earns the max, like everyone else says that means he was a helluva pitcher. ;-D
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers