Wright and Milton?...Cashman is insane - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wright and Milton?...Cashman is insane

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:28 am

stumpak wrote:The fact that they are loading up now on back of the rotation guys makes me think they are pretty confident they can make the RJ deal work. It makes sense; Arizona will drop their ridiculous demands eventaully, what else are they going to do, keep him around and win 60 games instead of 50 and then get nothing in return for him whe he hangs it up?

Arizona still has one bargaining chip to play - fan attendance. Honestly, would you buy season tickets, or even tickets at all, to go see the Arizona Diamondbacks without Randy Johnson? I mean who are you paying to see? Casey Fossum? Alex Cintron? Luis Terrero? Hardly the cornerstones of any organization. At least with RJ, they will sell some tickets. I agree with you that the Yankees are thinking Arizona will get desperate, but I have a hard time believing they actually will.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:36 am

But if the Yankees keep signing players, their leverage goes down, I say. Plus, if Pedro signs elsewhere, the Yankees would only have one spot to get a top-of-the-rotation guy--Arizona.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:07 pm

Maybee theyll send them both to arizona pick up there contracts and take Randy

Actually don't the Dbacks want Vazquez?? Maybee He is just getting Wright so that they can fill the hole when they trade vaz for johnson
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:11 pm

acsguitar wrote:Maybee theyll send them both to arizona pick up there contracts and take Randy

Actually don't the Dbacks want Vazquez?? Maybee He is just getting Wright so that they can fill the hole when they trade vaz for johnson

You cannot trade recently signed players for awhile. And, wouldn't RJ be filling the hole Vaz vacates? Either way, I don't see Wright performing all that well in NY--perhaps an up and down year like Vaz.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:02 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:You cannot trade recently signed players for awhile.

I was under the impression that they could be traded immediately but that they had the right to veto any trade in the first year.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:04 pm

I assume each contract is written differently .... however, maybee its a players union issue
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:08 pm

you guys are partially right..here is the scoop

Starting in 1973, players who had been in the major leagues at least 10 years, the last five with his current club, could not be traded without their consent. In addition, in 1980, a player with at least five years in the majors could demand a trade if he was in the final year of their contract, or had been traded while signed to a multi-year contract. However, in doing so, he waived his right to free agency for a period of five years and could not demand another trade for three years. Also, he could be traded to any team except six clubs he specified. If his team did not honor his demand by March 15, he would become a free agent.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby blankman » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:13 pm

trevisc wrote:you guys are partially right..here is the scoop

Starting in 1973, players who had been in the major leagues at least 10 years, the last five with his current club, could not be traded without their consent. In addition, in 1980, a player with at least five years in the majors could demand a trade if he was in the final year of their contract, or had been traded while signed to a multi-year contract. However, in doing so, he waived his right to free agency for a period of five years and could not demand another trade for three years. Also, he could be traded to any team except six clubs he specified. If his team did not honor his demand by March 15, he would become a free agent.

i don't think that answers the question, unless i'm misreading it
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:16 pm

Yeah that's not it. This is a special ruling created to protect free agents. I know I have read it 100 times but now that I need it I can't find it online. :-°
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:18 pm

Keep digging cuz now my curiosity is bubbling over!!
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers