Wright and Milton?...Cashman is insane - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wright and Milton?...Cashman is insane

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Registered_Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:28 am

Funny thing is neither pitcher is as good as Vazquez or Lieber. Yet, Lieber is now gone to Philly and Vazquez is likely gone to the D'backs.

They might as well of signed Matt Morris to a incentive laiden 1-year deal.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:21 am

What I don't get about the Yankees is why they don't go after pitchers who have the potential to be super stars. Guys like Odalis Perez or Millwood who could come pretty cheap but have tons more talent then Wright and Milton who will probably end up pitching out of the bullpen before it's all said and done.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:05 am

Milton is already a bust, even before he takes the mound. Wright obviously has the potential, so the jury's still out whether or not they'll regret this signing.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby reiser » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:20 am

trevisc wrote:What I don't get about the Yankees is why they don't go after pitchers who have the potential to be super stars.

ESPN reports Loaiza wasn't offered arb., so Wright will be an upgrade there.
I am sure Vazquez and possibly Brown too will be gone. Give Cashman a little credit.

did i just say that?
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:27 am

trevisc wrote:What I don't get about the Yankees is why they don't go after pitchers who have the potential to be super stars. Guys like Odalis Perez or Millwood who could come pretty cheap but have tons more talent then Wright and Milton who will probably end up pitching out of the bullpen before it's all said and done.

They have in the past...see Vazquez and Weaver. Look how well that worked. One huge bust in Weaver who was traded away for another loser in Brown. And they signed the other loser Vazquez to a 4 year, 44 M contract. Now they are scrambling to deal him before he loses all value by stinking it up in 05.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:53 am

What I think is funny is that these are actually top quality pitchers. Kevin Brown is simply nasty. Vaz is obviously one of the best young arms in the game. Weaver mows down hitters in LA now. I guarantee Lieber has an outstanding season. What happens to these guys in NY?

To me its pure comedy. Id love to see the Yankmees get RJ - just to see that deal explode in their face. Call it what you will, but the truth is something happens to these guys when they get to the Big Apple.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:55 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:What I think is funny is that these are actually top quality pitchers. Kevin Brown is simply nasty. Vaz is obviously one of the best young arms in the game. Weaver mows down hitters in LA now. I guarantee Lieber has an outstanding season. What happens to these guys in NY?

To me its pure comedy. Id love to see the Yankmees get RJ - just to see that deal explode in their face. Call it what you will, but the truth is something happens to these guys when they get to the Big Apple.

Interesting advice, and I agree. I will avoid RJ if he goes there, and will target Lieber if he leaves there.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:59 am

One of the most curious moves of the offseason is the Yankees refusing to pick up Lieber's option, hoping to sign him for two million less per year. The guy was very reliable and pitched great against the Sox in very high pressure situations--what else do you want?

Minaya's Benson signing did really screw everything up, though. When will people realize that he is not a good GM?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:00 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
They have in the past...see Vazquez and Weaver. Look how well that worked. One huge bust in Weaver who was traded away for another loser in Brown. And they signed the other loser Vazquez to a 4 year, 44 M contract. Now they are scrambling to deal him before he loses all value by stinking it up in 05.

I've also noticed how Weaver bounced back pretty good this past year and how Vazquez was a STUD before coming to the Yankees. The more I think about it the more I think that maybe the Yankees are the problem and not the pitchers. I wonder how crappy Pedro would pitch if he signed with the yankees.

Making note to self: Don't pick any Yankees pitchers if you want to win in Whip/Era
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby stumpak » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:24 am

I agree that Minaya is an idiot, and I am not even a Mets fan. Look at some of his silly moves with the Expos.

Also, you guys are talking up Lieber's clutch performance this season, but didn't Wright prove his mettle the same way in 1997? Milton is a purely idiotic move but even though I am skeptical of Wright I am not ready to write that off yet as something equally dumb.

The fact that they are loading up now on back of the rotation guys makes me think they are pretty confident they can make the RJ deal work. It makes sense; Arizona will drop their ridiculous demands eventaully, what else are they going to do, keep him around and win 60 games instead of 50 and then get nothing in return for him whe he hangs it up?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers