Womack?...To the Yanks? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Womack?...To the Yanks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:33 am

Why a 2 year deal for Heredia last year?...Why one for Hammond a couple years back? Why one for Stirling Hitchcock before that? Cashman is clueless. None of it makes sense. He has made moves that yiou sit back and wonder.

Milton blows...why?
Hammond was the poster boy for fluke...why?
Heredia always stunk...why?
Hitchcock...2 years and 12 M?...laughable even for the timeframe.

These were not debateable...they were/are thought idiot at the time by just about everyone.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:51 am

Womack isn't horrible, but he pretty much had a career year last year--can he repeat it? Unlikely. His defense isn't better than Cairo's at second (UZR, I think... I should look it up), and Womack is injury prone, too. Those hammy's acted up all year.

If Wright's deal is for 23-24 mill, that's a really bad signing. IF it's along the lines of what the Post says--15--than that makes more sense. But I can't for the life of me understand why the Yankees would ship off Lieber and sign Wright. Very odd indeed. I think Wright has a tough time in NY. I think David Ortiz will like him. ;-D

Now, George, go sign Milton!! :-b
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby perlick29 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:43 am

I'm personally very disappointed by this move. This all but assures Cairo wont be back. But he's such a great role player for that team. Womack actually does suck. I had him for steals early in the year on my team but I got so frustrated with him, I let him go. I liked Cairo a lot better, as some may be aware in the Game Commentary Forum.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:02 pm

Womack and Wright! WTF

I thought Johnson and Beltran was what they were working at!?!!

Cashman has gone insane...maybee thell package them and send them somewhere else!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:27 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Cashman has gone insane...

you got that right but you won't be hearing me complain. It's just another year the Yankees won't be winning the World Series

;-D
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby blankman » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:48 pm

All I can say is that they sure as hell better find a way to sign Lieber. The Womack signing isn't bad since it seems they couldn't ink Cairo (I don't see why not however). I am however confused about the Wright signing. :-?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:55 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:His defense isn't better than Cairo's at second (UZR, I think... I should look it up)

Cairo was almost last amongst starting MLB 2B's (Only Bret Boone - Mr Gold Glove :-b was worse). Womack is middle of the pack.

As for injuries - Womack does seem to be getting more of them as he gets older. Hammy, back, what's next?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:09 pm

TheYanks04-- You are insane.

How can you be so worked up about signing Tony Womack? He could bust but does it really matter? Do we need an all-star at 2B? No, we don't. I see you are constantly bringing up his far past, but you neglect to mention last year, in front of major sluggers in St. Louis. Here is his statline:

145 Games
91 Runs
170 Hits
5 Homeruns
38 RBI
36 BB
60 K
26 SB
.307 BA

That is not bad for a guy who plays very good defense and who is a player who can steal alot of bases and drop a bunt down. He succeeded with St. Louis's sluggers behind him, and the Yankees are just as potent. Give him a chance, and if he busts, big deal. He's the 9th most important hitter in our lineup.

Now as for Jaret Wright: I'm not liking this signing. I don't understand what sense it makes. My friend said that Wright was on the list that the D'Backs asked for, but if it's true that Wright has veto power, then it's just a bad move. They could have had Lieber for the same price, and Lieber has already proven he can pitch in New York AND in the post-season. Wright is scaring me to death. They need to go get RJ and Pavano to ensure that the pitching staff is solid.

I'm also tired of you bashing Vazquez all day and night. He had 1/2 a bad season. Deeming him 'Jeff Weaver' after half a season, even after his pretty good first half, it just stupidity. He might turn out to be that, but give him a chance. Do not mention Vazquez's name in Jeff Weaver-esque bust until he continues to pitch as poorly as he did after the All-Star Break.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:45 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:His defense isn't better than Cairo's at second (UZR, I think... I should look it up)

Cairo was almost last amongst starting MLB 2B's (Only Bret Boone - Mr Gold Glove :-b was worse). Womack is middle of the pack.

As for injuries - Womack does seem to be getting more of them as he gets older. Hammy, back, what's next?

Are you sure you are refering to UZR? Not ZR?

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/fil ... 3-03-14_0/
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby stumpak » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:59 pm

I agree on Vasquez, the guy is being crucifed over 3 bad months, albeit 3 very bad ones.

As for furor over Womack, I think it is an issue of managing expectations. I thik their are few Yankees fans who would have thought that mediocrities like Rodriquez, Womack, Wright and Milton would be off-season moves 1, 2, 3, and 4.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers