Womack?...To the Yanks? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Womack?...To the Yanks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:57 am

Amazinz wrote:Too bad he can't teach his guys how to pitch in the post-season. :-b

I'm suprised a Mets fan actually knows what the postseason is.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:15 am

I don't see how this is such a bad signing. It's $2M! The Giants are paying Vizquel $5M and he's just as bad as Womack! They have a platoon at 2B now, big deal. Maybe one of the two steps up and has another good year. Better have 2 players to take a chance on than 1. Last year it was a competition between Cairo/Wilson, and Cairo won. Now Womack is in there. He's also better defensively than Cairo, so you can have him as a late inning replacement (the reg season that doesn't matter so much, but it can be important in the playoffs). He's also one of the premier basestealers in baseball, people hardly notice that. Sure he's getting up there in age but if he's healthy he could play a Dave Roberts like role in the playoffs as well as being a defensive replacement.

So don't complain!

But if you guys get Jaret Wright you have a right to complain... he's got bust written all over him, and he's probably going to be vastly overpaid.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:21 am

Womack should be charge admission to the park.

Seriously, what platoon is there? Cairo is gone as he was not offered arbitration...neither was the useless Wilson. Looks like this stiff is our starting 2b. Cairo was fine last year...what possessed Cashman to switch to a stiff like Womack is beyond me. Cairo holding out for an extra 500K? It makes no sense. And you can't steal first as they say.

And Wright not only has bust written all over him, he has Weaver/Vazquez bust written all over him.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:25 am

Well if Cairo is gone.... then you still have a decent 2B. He's not going to be at the top of the lineup though. Not a chance of taht happening IMO. I can see Cashman going out and getting another 2B to keep Womack honest.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:29 am

He wil have to as we still need a utility IF to play 2b and SS. How much worse can you get than Womack though that you are his backup? Pokey Reese?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wkelly91 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:57 am

I don't think Wright will be a bust like Weaver and Vasquez, he isn't a head case. From what I have heard he has learned how to pitch from Leo. He used to try to strikeout everyone, but Leo has showed him how to work the batters. He seems to be a lot more mentally tough than either of those. Cheer up NY :-)

______________ip__s__qs_w_era__whip_k__kd9
Wright 2004 Tot 186 32 22 15 3.284 1.277 159 7.68
Wright 2nd half 88.3 15 11 9 2.955 1.098 77 7.85

He actually got better as the year went on.... ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:03 am

wkelly91 wrote:I don't think Wright will be a bust like Weaver and Vasquez, he isn't a head case. From what I have heard he has learned how to pitch from Leo. He used to try to strikeout everyone, but Leo has showed him how to work the batters. He seems to be a lot more mentally tough than either of those. Cheer up NY :-)

______________ip__s__qs_w_era__whip_k__kd9
Wright 2004 Tot 186 32 22 15 3.284 1.277 159 7.68
Wright 2nd half 88.3 15 11 9 2.955 1.098 77 7.85

He actually got better as the year went on.... ;-D

It's all about locating that fastball with different speeds. I say he gets rocked hard in NY
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:17 am

LBJackal wrote:I don't see how this is such a bad signing. It's $2M! The Giants are paying Vizquel $5M and he's just as bad as Womack! They have a platoon at 2B now, big deal. Maybe one of the two steps up and has another good year. Better have 2 players to take a chance on than 1. Last year it was a competition between Cairo/Wilson, and Cairo won. Now Womack is in there. He's also better defensively than Cairo, so you can have him as a late inning replacement (the reg season that doesn't matter so much, but it can be important in the playoffs). He's also one of the premier basestealers in baseball, people hardly notice that. Sure he's getting up there in age but if he's healthy he could play a Dave Roberts like role in the playoffs as well as being a defensive replacement.

So don't complain!

But if you guys get Jaret Wright you have a right to complain... he's got bust written all over him, and he's probably going to be vastly overpaid.

You won't hear me say this often...but LBJ is right. Relax guys, it's not like the Yankees blew their budget on Womack.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:27 am

The Yankees have money to throw around but the Womack signing just seems like Lofton revisited. You think they would have learned. Why the 2 year deal?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:29 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:The Yankees have money to throw around but the Womack signing just seems like Lofton revisited. You think they would have learned. Why the 2 year deal?

The difference is...Lofton would have needed playing time from the fan favorite Bernie...whereas Womack will get his playing time from Cairo. I don't think you can label this similar to Lofton at this point. I don't agree that it was a great signing...but it's not bad either...just average.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers