Just curious what do you think about these rankings? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Just curious what do you think about these rankings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:56 am

Juan 1 Hr Pierre or Mora over Helton, Tejada, Arod, Manny? Sorry but no matter whatyou think of Pierre or Mora I can't see a justification for that.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:59 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Juan 1 Hr Pierre or Mora over Helton, Tejada, Arod, Manny? Sorry but no matter whatyou think of Pierre or Mora I can't see a justification for that.

Its not like I pulled these out of a hat. They are PURE facts based on my league and the results of the cats. I agree with you I would take AROD or Beltran before him as well but value wise Mora and PIerre had very high value as well
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:19 am

If your league has a valuation of Pierre over Manny, Arod or the others, then I submit to you your league's scoring system needs to be fixed.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:26 am

TheYanks04 wrote:If your league has a valuation of Pierre over Manny, Arod or the others, then I submit to you your league's scoring system needs to be fixed.

You just dont get it do you?

Please someone else out there explain it to this guy. I am going to bed.!
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:14 am

Where's the pitching? I hope this is just a hitter's list cuz there are probably 3 pitchers i'd have in the top 15

Also, Vlad is not #1. It's pujols or Arod with Beltran close behind.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:06 pm

trevisc wrote:Where's the pitching? I hope this is just a hitter's list cuz there are probably 3 pitchers i'd have in the top 15

It is not a ranking by any means. This is a list of HITTERS in the order of their value to OUR league last year. We are a 5x5 mixed with 17 hitters on each team 12 teams total
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rotodog » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:58 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
trevisc wrote:Where's the pitching? I hope this is just a hitter's list cuz there are probably 3 pitchers i'd have in the top 15

It is not a ranking by any means. This is a list of HITTERS in the order of their value to OUR league last year. We are a 5x5 mixed with 17 hitters on each team 12 teams total

Sorry shock!!! I misunderstood what the ranking was...
Gang, he is absolutely right , with his thinking here. He is not saying this is his 2005 draft list , but 2004 value based on 2004 stats and a method of valuation known as SPG or single point gain I think. In this method of valuation, scarce cats like steals will be valued very highly because of the vast majority of HR hitters or run scorers relative to the lack of individula steals throughout the league. This method is neither right nor wrong, but just another way to find value.... I'm sure Shock , or maybe it was AWE , doesnt expect these guys to produce exact stats from 04 this upcoming season...... So in closing , CUT THE GUY SOME SLACK :-D he is at least trying to figure something out.......Rotodog
rotodog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:12 pm

SGP = Standings Gain Point ;-)

This is different than VBD and those rankings based on 2004 stats look a little off on both accounts for 5x5. The valuation algorithm probably needs to be adjusted.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rotodog » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:24 pm

Amazinz wrote:SGP = Standings Gain Point ;-)

This is different than VBD and those rankings based on 2004 stats look a little off on both accounts for 5x5. The valuation algorithm probably needs to be adjusted.

Thanks Mr MET !! ;-D
rotodog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:29 pm

The most important thing to realize is that the SPG is only as good as the talent in your league. If you have a few teams that are really GOO or really BAD. It can throw this sytem right out the window.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers