SO WHAT? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SO WHAT?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SO WHAT?

Postby eftda » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:45 pm

Lets just say that Bonds, Sheff and Giambi are found guilty.

Then what?

If we say that their records are tranished then every record is tarnsished since 1960 (The birth of the steriod). How do we know they didn't take them?

Do we ban them from baseball? I agree that cheaters do not belong in baseball (cough cough AROD) but how do we ban these three and not everyone else who may have taken steriods. Should we have trials for evey single player?

IMO, burning one of these three (or all three) will just create more problems. I know everyone of us can think of 7-50 other players who might have taken roids.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:49 pm

It's good to know that you've passed the denial stage and moved onto the bargaining process.

Ain't psychology amazing?
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:50 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:It's good to know that you've passed the denial stage and moved onto the bargaining process.

I haven't moved passed anything, There still isn't enough proof. Please do not label me. And nice job ignoring the question.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:56 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:It's good to know that you've passed the denial stage and moved onto the bargaining process.

I'm looking forward to the depression stage, myself.

But to answer Eftda's question, I think that the answer is that nothing needs to be done. Bonds legacy is tarnished. If you're at the game when he hits #715, what happens? I'd boo.

What needs to be done is forgetting about the past, for the most part. I don't care who besmirched the game thus far - Caminiti, Bonds, Canseco, Giambi, etc - because their reputations are ruined. But I do want to make sure that this doesn't happen in the future. And I want to watch Bonds and crew extremely closely for as long as they are in baseball.

Of course, I'm saying this partly because it makes me smile to think of the Yankees being stuck with Giambi's contract.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eftda » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:01 pm

I'll be abck later tonight but Its funny to see how many poeple have looked at this topic and went away. When the Bonds/Giambi topic were up, people didn't bother to drop off their hate mail to bonds. But when I ask "so what", everyone leaves. Its easy to be a monday morning QB
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby funatic » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:02 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:

But to answer Eftda's question, I think that the answer is that nothing needs to be done. Bonds legacy is tarnished. If you're at the game when he hits #715, what happens? I'd boo.

What needs to be done is forgetting about the past, for the most part. I don't care who besmirched the game thus far - Caminiti, Bonds, Canseco, Giambi, etc - because their reputations are ruined. But I do want to make sure that this doesn't happen in the future. And I want to watch Bonds and crew extremely closely for as long as they are in baseball.

Of course, I'm saying this partly because it makes me smile to think of the Yankees being stuck with Giambi's contract.

I agree.

Except for the Giambi bit. I Hate the Yanks, but it doesn't make me smile to see a cheater getting FILTHY rich without even playing. :-P
funatic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:05 pm

I don't see how this relates to a monday morning QB, but anyway....

Bonds' reputation is ruined, and that's all there is to it. Nothhing more will be done to them, just their reputations being done-for. Countless fans will not consider their careers when thinking of the best players.

I think nobody is responding because we didn't know if your 30 minutes on the couch with Dr. FatGuy was up :-D

BTW hows the progress, you seemed to be at "acceptance" in that last post in the 10 page thread.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby eftda » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:09 pm

I accpeted the fact that he has taken soemthing. if it was legal or illegal remains to be determined.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ballwreckers » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:27 pm

I accpeted the fact that he has taken soemthing. if it was legal or illegal remains to be determined.

What is there to be determined? He addmitted he took muscle enhancers which is not legal. Did anyone notice the one clip ESPN did show when they asked Bonds if he thinks anyone might have slipped him steroids unwillingly and he refused to comment on it. Sounds like he knew even back then.
Ballwreckers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:46 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:

I agree with AA on this one. What they did wasn't illegal in baseball, so the records should stand, no asterisks, no nothing. Future generations will be able to determine the legacy of these guys more than we can right now I feel. When things like this come up they aren't forgoten -- Black Sox, Pete Rose, etc -- but rather we form our own opinion on them -- objective or not -- and that is how these players are remembered. What is of paramount importance is that the facts are preserved for the future generations to make those decisions, like we have had for things like I mentioned above.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers